TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What is this new dashed line?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Cool-Model S, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Cool-Model S

Cool-Model S Member

image.jpg

When my battery level gets below certain low levels such as 40 miles and below, a new dashed yellow line appears. This goes away after charge and comes back again at low battery levels. What does this mean?
    If this has been discussed already, apologies and please point me in that direction. Curious if others have seen this and know what it means.
    Thanks

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

That's not new. Basically it limits the power when the SOC is low to protect the battery.

3. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

A similar dotted line will appear at the bottom end of the energy meter right after completing a Range Charge. In that instance the car is protecting the battery from overcharging by limiting regen braking.

4. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Yes, just another feature that protects the battery in extreme conditions. You might also see it if you push the motor too hard (lots and lots of maximum power), in which case the system is protecting the battery from overheating. These kinds of protection mechanisms might exist on other cars, but Tesla shows you what the limits are at any point in time.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

And it does that when it's cold (i.e. wintertime cold) too.

6. shady

shady Member

I saw this last week as well. It's the first time I've let my battery go down to just 23 miles remaining.
    Of course, what's the first thing I did when I noticed it? - yep, I put my foot down to see what happened :)

7. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

I'd gotten the low-range dashed line before, but I was driving to Vegas last weekend and I got it when I still had at least 150+ rated miles remaining. I assumed it was due to 90+ degree heat and going up hills at 80 mph - it must have been to prevent overheating but I'd never gotten it before.