Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your alternative to spending $1500+ on the Wall Connector and a dedicated 240v line?

What is your home charging solution?

• Bit the bullet, had the Tesla Wall Connector installed by a pro

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • Installed Tesla Wall Connector myself, adding a new circuit

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Was lucky to have a dryer outlet and plugged the Wall Connector into it

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Bought an extra UMC, plugged it into a 115v outlet and called it a charging station

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Take my provided UMC every night out of the f/trunk and plug into a 115v outlet

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Never have to charge at home, I am that lucky

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 41 36.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my 4th year with a Tesla. The original UMC is still in the same place I put it in January 2015. Cost was $800 to have a separate 100A run - which was in the basement opposite side of the house, going through the ceiling, up to main floor, then over the garage and back out. Took the guys ~3 hours to do it.

I did multiple 500-100 mile trips, never took the UMC with me. It sits nicely on my bicycle bottle holder screwed to the garage wall ($0.10 for the wood screws), and with the cord nicely hanging on the $25 Tesla cord organizer. With this support there is no tension on the 15-40 socket, which can be a problem (some guys early on had theirs melt due to faulty connection).
Can you confirm that your solution is to charge at home using UMC plugged permanently into a 100A NEMA 14-50? I am starting to learn that this is a popular option.

Please respond from experience, not hypothetically.

Maybe you don't drive much.

Maybe you have free charging at work.

Maybe you live next to a Supercharger.

Maybe you are just that cheap (right, after dropping $55K on the car...)

Maybe adding a new 60 amp 240v line just was not in the cards (apartment, rental house, etc.)

Tell me about your experience driving a Tesla and NOT owning a dedicated charger at home.
When I got my S two years ago, I had a 1450 Outlet put in the garage for a few hundred dollars. I bought an extra UMC, for about 500, so I could leave it plugged in and always carry a spare in the trunk for travel - leaving the original UMC always plugged into the wall. That worked great. I never needed a higher rate of charge at my home.

When my wife got the model X, I basically did the same thing, adding a additional 1450 Outlet into the garage, and this time I bought a extra gen 2 UMC for three hundred dollars. The Gen 2 doesn't charge as fast - only 30amps.

Now I used the gen 2 umc for the S daily (easily adequate), and carry a spare gen 1 umc (I prefer the extra speed when I travel).

We both drive about 18-20 k miles a year, with 90 percent charging at home.

Even when I've pulled into my house running 'on fumes', I don't need to immediately leave and drive hundreds of miles again in short order.

We may move in a couple of years, so buying extra UMCs always made more sense to me than getting wall connectors.
Hope this helps & good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and ponzu
Thanks to all who have chimed in. It appears I did not list two pretty popular options:

- Install NEMA 14-50 outlet, plug included UMC into it in a semi-permanent setup (such as bike bottle holder).
- Install NEMA 14-50 outlet, buy an extra UMC

There are many options, it seems that don't run up to the full price tag of a HPWC plus install -- for those who don't need to charge a lot but want to have that option.

Only one person so far fessed up to using the 115V outlet.

I had an electrician install my HPWC in the garage right beside the breaker panel. It's on a 60A breaker so it can provide 48A, the max that my 75D will take. It was pretty inexpensive because there was less than 2 feet cable run. Also Maryland had a rebate of 50% of parts+installation for home EVSE, so the total cost was cheaper than buying a spare UMC. I personally like to keep the UMC in the car at all times, just in case although I've only ever used it on a couple of trips to relatives. I might have forgot to pack it if it wasn't always in the car, but then again maybe I would've remembered.

I think there may be some sort of federal tax credit for EVSE installs; you should check.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and ponzu
While not really needed, the HPWC is just badass. It's fixed on the wall, everything in its place and I spent 60k on a car. Why wouldn't I spend $450 on the extra expense for the HPWC hardware. If your installing a 14-50 your labor cost should be almost identical. I installed it myself, which I think is more common for the folks who visit this club ( more techy/diy?) Sure I could charge off my UMC, but i like leaving everything in the car just in case. Which in my area has come in handy because Northern Cal it's kind of a SUC desert. I'd also add that 40 amps on the UMC is pushing that thing hard ( gets pretty warm) my HPWC doesnt even break a sweat charging at 40amps..but I did wire it for 80 amps..

You may not hear about it, but as "destination charging" (L2) and free-at-work charging (L1 or L2) becomes more widespread, more people will make it part of their strategy. I have a neighbor driving model S, who spent the money on the HPWC, but does not use it because it jacks his electric bill too much. He instead charges at work, whether at 3 mph or more, I don't know. If I got to plug in at work for 8 hours (at 3 mph), it would cover my daily commute. I may only get to plug in for 4-6 hours. It's not about wheezing 200+ miles worth of free juice a day, it's about staying afloat.

I will allow that many or most keep their UMC at home and don't feel they need the HPWC.

I guess I wanted to hear that it's possible to get by with just a 115v outlet at home, but so far I am not hearing that.

Even the guy who does not charge at home installed a HPWC.
Destination charging doesn't need the UMC or adapters.
And as for your friends 'jacked up' electricity bill, if he does 20,000 miles a year at 300Wh/mile and 10c/kWh that would be costing him $50/month.
(calcs: ((20000/0.3) * 0.1)/12)

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Destination charging doesn't need the UMC or adapters.
And as for your friends 'jacked up' electricity bill, if he does 20,000 miles a year at 300Wh/mile and 10c/kWh that would be costing him $50/month.
(calcs: ((20000/0.3) * 0.1)/12)
And for funsies, an equivalent gasoline car would use $211/month.
Ford Mustang, 21mpg (avg on fuelly.com), 20,000 miles, $2.66/gal (avg on fuelbuddy.com).
(calcs: ((20000/21)*2.66/12)

I will have to look again at what all Tesla is including with the car. I was under the impression the J1772 adapter goes on the end of the UMC.
I just saw this was the source of your confusion. The J1772 adapter attaches a J1772 plug to the charge port. Nothing to do with the UMC. The UMC is used to plug into electrical outlets.

Spend some time reading the charging pages on the Tesla web site for details about all the ways you can charge the car.

Regarding “opportunity charging” on 120v. It is generally a hassle. What is you kWh cost?

You’re Southern California, so let’s assume high. $0.30kWh. That’s just under $0.50 per hour of being plugged in. It just isn’t worth the hassle when your at a restaurant, etc. also, IMHO, it’s pretty questionable plugging into a random outlet. Is that simply theft?

Regarding work charging. Sure, that will keep growing. But they also expect it won’t be free forever.

Anyway, when I first got my car, I was plugging my into every public free charging station I would find. When I figured I was saving ~$20 month I quit. Wasn’t worth the hassle.

I believe all these tools should be in the tool belt. But most folks will simply rely on home and work charging. And may select between the two based on cost.

Finally, if you dint drive much, a 120v outlet might meet your needs.

You might also find that you can convert an existing plug in your garage to 240v 20a. Do you have a dedicated water softener outlet or a dedicated fridge outlet (or any single plug in a single circuit in your garage).

Oh yea, a Wall Charger looks cool. But really not necessary for most people. But they are fantastic for sharing power between multiple cars. And at a good price point based on functionality.

Last edited:
I only take my UMC on really long road trips where I want maximum charging options. It can be used to charge at a RV park or at 110 V. Superchargers are the way to travel. In areas out of reach of superchargers one needs to be a little more creative which means using the UMC.

At home I coil the UMC around a $4 garden hose holder next to our NEMA 14-50 outlet.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and ModelX
There are a lot of options out there and a lot of different use cases. For example, one that I saw on Sunday, was about a dozen Teslas all plugged into 120V sockets and I'm sure that each owner thought that it was an awesome solution.
Where was it? A parking facility near the ATL airport. Most every tends to drive about 50 miles to get there, but are gone for a number of days, so it generally is pretty close to the perfect solution.

I installed a 50A plug in the garage, used both for charging and connecting the motor home into when it was at the house. Currently I'm waiting for a M3, but I've had a leaf for 3.5 years. There's not a Supercharger near me (NE of Atlanta), but there is a destination charger about 10 miles away. I do have a CHADEMO charger near me, but I've never used it. There are a bunch of J1772 charger near me, but I don't use them either. BUT I do, use that chargers that are further away, to charge when my 88 mile 2015 Leaf couldn't round trip. I've got the 150+ mile Leaf, so I really don't need anything else.

So, unlike the California folks who seem to live on Superchargers, I charge at home. And there have been very few times that I've ever needed the J1772 charging to be much over 32A.

And to those who suggest that not a lot of companies have charging locations, I can tell you that a lot do. I'm at a company in SLC today and I looked out to see 6 charging spots with 2 vehicles plugged. I know of one location in Atlanta suburbs that had something like 20 J1772 connections and had to add even more.
I know in the N Georgia mountains, there's a number of vacation locations that charging capabilities.
As far as Superchargers, I suspect that Tesla has found that the Southern Cal deployment of "all over the place" is not the best model, but providing the ability for people to travel is. "Home area" charging is best done at home, not at a public location. It's the public chargers that allow for people to travel outside their home areas.

There's a lot of scenarios out there. There's a lot of solutions out there. I do hate the fact that there are 4 different connectors in use.

Regarding “opportunity charging” on 120v. It is generally a hassle. What is you kWh cost?

You’re Southern California, so let’s assume high. $0.30kWh. That’s just under $0.50 per hour of being plugged in. It just isn’t worth the hassle when your at a restaurant, etc. also, IMHO, it’s pretty questionable plugging into a random outlet. Is that simply theft?

Regarding work charging. Sure, that will keep growing. But they also expect it won’t be free forever.

Anyway, when I first got my car, I was plugging my into every public free charging station I would find. When I figured I was saving ~$20 month I quit. Wasn’t worth the hassle.

I believe all these tools should be in the tool belt. But most folks will simply rely on home and work charging. And may select between the two based on cost.

Finally, if you dint drive much, a 120v outlet might meet your needs.

You might also find that you can convert an existing plug in your garage to 240v 20a. Do you have a dedicated water softener outlet or a dedicated fridge outlet (or any single plug in a single circuit in your garage).

Oh yea, a Wall Charger looks cool. But really not necessary for most people. But they are fantastic for sharing power between multiple cars. And at a good price point based on functionality.
My home cost is 25c/kWh. I am not worried about the cost per kWh, but I am trying to figure out if the additional investment in charging hardware is needed. I am not worried about paying 25c/kWh at home, I am concerned that my time at home will be sufficient to charge up at low current. It probably will, but the wife equates any plugged wire with a fire hazard, and the projected outlet being under the kiddos bedroom, I will never hear the end of it if the car sits plugged in 15 hours a day.

Plugging at a restaurant being theft. You misunderstood. I mean destination charging when a restaurant, mall, coffee shop, big box store installs an L2 charger in order to attract my business.

Work charging should be good for 5 hours/day at 3-4 mph. I think it will be a big deal for me. It does require some hustle. Will need to time moving into the stall at lunch.

I do think about starting out at 120v for the first few weeks. We'll see.

I have a new, and no less interesting problem now. The charge port is on the left. The outlet (either existing 120v or new NEMA 1450) will be on the right garage wall. Will I hate dragging the UMC around the or over the top of the car?

I bought the HPWC months ago; a bargain off e-bay for an essentially brand new unit. Got many quotes for an installation all ranging around $2k. Significant Other hemmed and hawed over the expenditure. Car arrived and now I charge the poor thing with a 120v/15a circuit. A massive 4m/hr charge rate. It's plugged in charging anytime it's parked at home.

I mean, I guess I shouldn't complain. I got the car of my dreams, and the charge rate is net positive at the end of the day. So this is my alternative until the situation changes sometime in the future.

Reactions: GSP