Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your alternative to spending $1500+ on the Wall Connector and a dedicated 240v line?

What is your home charging solution?

• Bit the bullet, had the Tesla Wall Connector installed by a pro

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • Installed Tesla Wall Connector myself, adding a new circuit

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Was lucky to have a dryer outlet and plugged the Wall Connector into it

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Bought an extra UMC, plugged it into a 115v outlet and called it a charging station

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Take my provided UMC every night out of the f/trunk and plug into a 115v outlet

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Never have to charge at home, I am that lucky

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 41 36.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please respond from experience, not hypothetically.

Maybe you don't drive much.

Maybe you have free charging at work.

Maybe you live next to a Supercharger.

Maybe you are just that cheap (right, after dropping $55K on the car...)

Maybe adding a new 60 amp 240v line just was not in the cards (apartment, rental house, etc.)

Tell me about your experience driving a Tesla and NOT owning a dedicated charger at home.

I leave my UMC plugged into the wall full time with the 14-50 outlet I installed myself.
Are you not worried about being caught out of the house without the UMC? I guess not... The range is right there on the display, and you know how far you're going. Still, I imagine many EV owners carry theirs with them hoping to wheeze some free juice at work or a restaurant.

Was your electric box far? I watched all the videos that deal with the electrical part per se, does not seem to be rocket science. But pulling the wire from the wrong side of the house, on the inside? I think that's where the pros earn their bread.

Are you not worried about being caught out of the house without the UMC? I guess not... The range is right there on the display, and you know how far you're going. Still, I imagine many EV owners carry theirs with them hoping to wheeze some free juice at work or a restaurant.

Was your electric box far? I watched all the videos that deal with the electrical part per se, does not seem to be rocket science. But pulling the wire from the wrong side of the house, on the inside? I think that's where the pros earn their bread.

Between supercharging stations, a long range battery and a public charging adapter, there's just no need. I used to bring it on road trips in my S40, but that only had a 120 mile range and couldn't supercharge, so it was a totally different animal.

I only had to run about 15 feet in flexible conduit on an exterior wall, so it was fairly easy.

I am not worried about being caught without the UMC; in fact, went 600 mi to Orlando, and was able to use SC for all juice away from home. (Not the optimal solution - I do take the UMC when I remember it).

As far as charging, I did have a pro put in a 14-50 outlet. It was a long run to main panel (involving trenching in underground conduit, etc etc etc), and main panel also needed upgraded for this plus several other new heavy loads. It was a big project, but I never had a serious temptation to put in a wall charger.

You're missing - install a 14-50, or anything smaller.
An install is an install. That's what people charge $500-$1000 for. Plus the cost of the connector.

Or that the HPWC was less than $900 all in, including permit.
The install was less then $900? Or the HPWC with install? Which would put the install at <$400. I don't get any quotes less than $500 and most are toward $1000. I was going to say I want to live in your area, but then again there may be other factors to consider, not just cost of electrician labor.

Why do you imply the EVSE needs to remain in the car? I've only used it once away from the house, that was at relatives house. In over 14 months and 20k miles.
For me, because I would hope to do most of my charging at work, but others may see leaving it at home as a valid option. If I had thought of every possible option, it would have been a lengthy multiple choice.

Last edited:
As far as charging, I did have a pro put in a 14-50 outlet. It was a long run to main panel (involving trenching in underground conduit, etc etc etc), and main panel also needed upgraded for this plus several other new heavy loads. It was a big project, but I never had a serious temptation to put in a wall charger.
Whoa! Thank you for sharing. I will feel better about my $1200, give or take, option.

Between supercharging stations, a long range battery and a public charging adapter, there's just no need. I used to bring it on road trips in my S40, but that only had a 120 mile range and couldn't supercharge, so it was a totally different animal.

I only had to run about 15 feet in flexible conduit on an exterior wall, so it was fairly easy.
I suppose if I painted the conduit, I would probably forget it's there in about 2 months. The wife, on the other hand, will not. Feels like an "inside job" so to speak. Maybe once an electrician seems my layout, he will see a good option I am not seeing.

In five years of driving a Model S and reading this site I’ve never heard of anyone using their UMC for plugging in at work, a restaurant, or anywhere else near home “to wheeze some free juice”. For 3 or 4 mph in a car of >200 mile range? Really? It’s not like these places have 50A outlets available for a real charge, or that you need it.

Almost everyone keeps their UMC plugged in and hanging on a hook in the garage, and only take it for out of town trips. There’s just no reason to routinely keep it in the car.

In five years of driving a Model S and reading this site I’ve never heard of anyone using their UMC for plugging in at work, a restaurant, or anywhere else near home “to wheeze some free juice”. For 3 or 4 mph in a car of >200 mile range? Really? It’s not like these places have 50A outlets available for a real charge, or that you need it.

Almost everyone keeps their UMC plugged in and hanging on a hook in the garage, and only take it for out of town trips. There’s just no reason to routinely keep it in the car.
You may not hear about it, but as "destination charging" (L2) and free-at-work charging (L1 or L2) becomes more widespread, more people will make it part of their strategy. I have a neighbor driving model S, who spent the money on the HPWC, but does not use it because it jacks his electric bill too much. He instead charges at work, whether at 3 mph or more, I don't know. If I got to plug in at work for 8 hours (at 3 mph), it would cover my daily commute. I may only get to plug in for 4-6 hours. It's not about wheezing 200+ miles worth of free juice a day, it's about staying afloat.

I will allow that many or most keep their UMC at home and don't feel they need the HPWC.

I guess I wanted to hear that it's possible to get by with just a 115v outlet at home, but so far I am not hearing that.

Even the guy who does not charge at home installed a HPWC.

Last edited:
I currently live in an apartment so even charging on a 120V at home wasn't an option.

Instead, I drive to a nearby Supercharger close to work for lunch once or twice per week. Whenever I can, I let my father drive my Model 3 to work during weekends so he can charge it on a NEMA 5-50 outlet he has there for free.

• Helpful
Reactions: ponzu
You may not hear about it, but as "destination charging" (L2) and free-at-work charging (L1 or L2) becomes more widespread, more people will make it part of their strategy.

I guess I wanted to hear that it's possible to get by with just a 115v outlet at home, but so far I am not hearing that.

It's possible. I could do it. Many could. The average driver uses his car for less than an hour a day, so could charge the other 23. My car could charge up overnight either way.

Once in a while, though, it's nice to be able to charge faster, and being a person able to do things, I found it easy to add a 240 v 50 amp plug. At that point I think it cost less than $50.

Reactions: GSP
If installing a 14-50 plug is cheaper than wiring up the HPWC, and with the HPWC $500 price tag out of the equation, it sounds like a good option.

With no existing wiring in place and an the electric panel on the wrong side of the house, I assume installing a new outlet or hardwiring the HPWC will cost roughly the same, but I will let the electricians tell me that.

This is my 4th year with a Tesla. The original UMC is still in the same place I put it in January 2015. Cost was $800 to have a separate 100A run - which was in the basement opposite side of the house, going through the ceiling, up to main floor, then over the garage and back out. Took the guys ~3 hours to do it.

I did multiple 500-100 mile trips, never took the UMC with me. It sits nicely on my bicycle bottle holder screwed to the garage wall ($0.10 for the wood screws), and with the cord nicely hanging on the $25 Tesla cord organizer. With this support there is no tension on the 15-40 socket, which can be a problem (some guys early on had theirs melt due to faulty connection).