Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your alternative to spending $1500+ on the Wall Connector and a dedicated 240v line?

What is your home charging solution?

• Bit the bullet, had the Tesla Wall Connector installed by a pro

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • Installed Tesla Wall Connector myself, adding a new circuit

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Was lucky to have a dryer outlet and plugged the Wall Connector into it

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Bought an extra UMC, plugged it into a 115v outlet and called it a charging station

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Take my provided UMC every night out of the f/trunk and plug into a 115v outlet

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Never have to charge at home, I am that lucky

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 41 36.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I'd love to just hang it on the wall at whichever location makes the most sense. I'll make my own bracket if needed... but, it would sure be nice if I didn't have to!

There are a lot of options out there - just search "Tesla UMC Wall Mount" on eBay or elsewhere. You can 3D print one yourself as well if you have the capabilities.

Someone mentioned a bike water bottle cage as a UMC holder. All I have to say: cute! My outlet (if I end up not installing one) is behind the shelves. My UMC, if I end up purchasing an extra one, will simply rest on the shelf. If not, it will be in the trunk or frunk, hopefully not being tossed around too much if it’s the former.

There are a lot of options out there - just search "Tesla UMC Wall Mount" on eBay or elsewhere. You can 3D print one yourself as well if you have the capabilities.
Thanks. I notice that leaving off "tesla" in that search doesn't work very well!... Seems like many are making the same 3D-printed unit. My 14-50R that I hope to not relocate is quite low on the wall. So I need a device that holds my UMC upside-down (plug cord exiting down). I'll likely be making my own. Lots of good ideas now.

Last edited:
Darell, those are good points.

However, as you alluded, one obvious advantage of the Wall Connector (aka. HPWC, or High Power Wall Connector) is that it supports faster charge rates. On most days, for routine use, this doesn't matter because overnight is plenty of time for a "fill-up". However, we've found that being able to charge at the maximum possible rate (48A for Model 3 Long Range) can be helpful on occasion. If the car comes home with low-ish charge and needs to be ready for another long drive in short order, not uncommon for us because multiple family members drive our current Model S, then fast home charging is great. Yes, another solution could be to make an extra Supercharger stop, but we prefer to avoid the need to make extra charging stops.

Also, our family has no garage and both our Wall Connector and our J-1772 station are outdoors, under a bay window next to our driveway. I don't think I'd want to leave a UMC there 24/7.

I continue to be confused about people saying that an HPWC should be used because it is a PITA to take the UMC out of the car and plug it in each time. This is said quite often, apparently with the assumption that a *second* UMC can't be purchased. For a significant percentage less money than the HPWC, certainly anybody can buy a second UMC to use as the "stay-at-home" unit. It can simply be plugged in and left at home, even if you wish to keep the original one in the car for emergencies. If you have a 14-50 handy, in the garage, GREAT. If not, one can be added, and no other "install" is needed... provided the owner is satisfied with 30A charging.

Yes indeed. I totally get the advantages of faster charging. But that's a different discussion than that of "hassle" of using a UMC. (as for fast charging, the 32A charge rate from the UMC will vastly surpass anything that I've ever experienced in my 20-year history of EV driving. I'm giddy just thinking about it. 48A would give me vapors. Then add the range that will vastly surpass anything I've had in my four previous EVs and... well, I'll probably just pass out).

And yeah, I wouldn't leave a UMC permanently outside either, though it *probably* could at least survive the elements well enough.

My plan is to start with the UMC and see how it goes. Upgrade to the Wall Connector and a 60A circuit if I just can't take being "limited" in all these ways that already feels so "unlimited" at 32A and 300+ miles of range!

Soon I'll be talking about "back in the day when we dealt with 80 miles of range and charging at 15 mph..."

Darell, those are good points.

However, as you alluded, one obvious advantage of the Wall Connector (aka. HPWC, or High Power Wall Connector) is that it supports faster charge rates. On most days, for routine use, this doesn't matter because overnight is plenty of time for a "fill-up". However, we've found that being able to charge at the maximum possible rate (48A for Model 3 Long Range) can be helpful on occasion. If the car comes home with low-ish charge and needs to be ready for another long drive in short order, not uncommon for us because multiple family members drive our current Model S, then fast home charging is great. Yes, another solution could be to make an extra Supercharger stop, but we prefer to avoid the need to make extra charging stops.

Also, our family has no garage and both our Wall Connector and our J-1772 station are outdoors, under a bay window next to our driveway. I don't think I'd want to leave a UMC there 24/7.

Reactions: abasile
Then it's anyone's guess what he meant by "Cost was $800 to have a separate 100A run"

Sorry, my bad. It was a separate 50A run; you can use to charge at 40A with the first generation UMC. You could do a 100A run and charge with Tesla wall charger at 80A (if you had a model S or model X that have that capability); this will cost more, as you will need thicker wire. In all these years I never came across a situation where I wished I had the 80A charge option vs. the 40A option (that also saved me the dual charger configuration that was needed to do 80A).

And yes, I leave the UMC permanently plugged into the NEMA 14-50, but this inside the garage. I would be equally concerned about having the UMC outdoors permanently.

My home cost is 25c/kWh. I am not worried about the cost per kWh, but I am trying to figure out if the additional investment in charging hardware is needed. I am not worried about paying 25c/kWh at home, I am concerned that my time at home will be sufficient to charge up at low current. It probably will, but the wife equates any plugged wire with a fire hazard, and the projected outlet being under the kiddos bedroom, I will never hear the end of it if the car sits plugged in 15 hours a day.

Plugging at a restaurant being theft. You misunderstood. I mean destination charging when a restaurant, mall, coffee shop, big box store installs an L2 charger in order to attract my business.

Work charging should be good for 5 hours/day at 3-4 mph. I think it will be a big deal for me. It does require some hustle. Will need to time moving into the stall at lunch.

I do think about starting out at 120v for the first few weeks. We'll see.

I have a new, and no less interesting problem now. The charge port is on the left. The outlet (either existing 120v or new NEMA 1450) will be on the right garage wall. Will I hate dragging the UMC around the or over the top of the car?

To be clear, if there is a level 2 EVSE (most likely a J1772 plug) then you do NOT need your UMC, you just need the J1772 adapter to plug onto the EVSE plug to plug into your Tesla. There are fringe cases where some EVSEs have a separate plug you can plug into to try to accommodate more cars, but they’re fairly rare and generally not worth doing since they’re level 1 at that point.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Because it has been mentioned, and because a google search for "Tesla UMC bottle cage" or "Tesla UMC waterbottle" turns up nothing for me... does anybody have an image of how they made use of a water bottle cage to hold the UMC on the wall? (there must be multiple images posted on TMC *somewhere* that I can't locate!) Some said it just holds the UMC sideways? Others say the cord is threaded through the cage? Because I don't have a UMC in hand (though I have probably 20 bottle cages rattling around the shop!) I'm having trouble envisioning how this could hold the UMC well.

Because it has been mentioned, and because a google search for "Tesla UMC bottle cage" or "Tesla UMC waterbottle" turns up nothing for me... does anybody have an image of how they made use of a water bottle cage to hold the UMC on the wall? (there must be multiple images posted on TMC *somewhere* that I can't locate!) Some said it just holds the UMC sideways? Others say the cord is threaded through the cage? Because I don't have a UMC in hand (though I have probably 20 bottle cages rattling around the shop!) I'm having trouble envisioning how this could hold the UMC well.

Ha! I did the same thing and nothing turned up.

Here you go. The cable organizer is from Tesla - $25. No tension on the UMC. Very easy to use.
IMG_7322.JPG
IMG_E7324.JPG

In 2 1/2 years I haven't taken the UMC with me except on a long trip. Never had a need to unplug it from the dryer receptacle.

Same for me over five years, with the additional information that even when I've brought the UMC for a long trip I've never actually used it. In over 5 years of owning a Tesla, I have never found public charging that wasn't J1772, Tesla charger or supercharger. I no longer bother ever bringing my UMC away from home (Maybe I would if I was specifically planning a trip charging at RV parks).

Reactions: Rocky_H
Never have to charge at home, I am that lucky

This strikes me as an oxymoron. I consider myself lucky to be able to charge at home. I never have to go out of my way to find a charger, I never have to worry about it being ICE’d or busy and I always have a full charge each morning.

I admit, I was able to save quite a bit of money by doing all of the electrical work myself but it was well worth the effort and cost of materials.

Same for me over five years, with the additional information that even when I've brought the UMC for a long trip I've never actually used it. In over 5 years of owning a Tesla, I have never found public charging that wasn't J1772, Tesla charger or supercharger. I no longer bother ever bringing my UMC away from home (Maybe I would if I was specifically planning a trip charging at RV parks).
We've found that in rural areas, RV parks and campgrounds with hookups can be great places to stay overnight and charge. We've long enjoyed tent camping, and I'm talking about nice parks, not run-down places that are not much more than parking lots with sub-par bathrooms. Starting the next day of driving with a full charge is a real benefit.

Some of the places we've enjoyed camping and charging with our UMC:

Valley of Fire State Park | State Parks (cooler seasons)
Gunnison, Colorado Campground | Gunnison KOA (summertime)
Lazy Acres Campground and Motel, Riverside, Wyoming

I have a confession. I sold my first Tesla to my mother and told her I'd install a hpwc so she could charge at night. I havnt..the HPWC is in her garage collecting dust and for the last year she has been left with charging at 120v every night!
She drives 30 miles a day..sometimes. 120v seems to be doing just fine. One thing to add., Pumps, fans or something is on the entire time charging at 120v, so wear and tear might not be good for 120v. Mother's day Is approaching, so I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

What charge rate are you seeing on 120v with the model 3 in terms of miles/hour? 1kW charging gives me 3-4 miles/hour based on my average driving efficiency of ~300Wh/mi in the Model S. Model 3 drivers are getting efficiencies below 200Wh/mi, which means charging at 1kW would be around 5-6 miles/hour charge rate.

What charge rate are you seeing on 120v with the model 3 in terms of miles/hour? 1kW charging gives me 3-4 miles/hour based on my average driving efficiency of ~300Wh/mi in the Model S. Model 3 drivers are getting efficiencies below 200Wh/mi, which means charging at 1kW would be around 5-6 miles/hour charge rate.
We get 5mph on my wife's Model 3.