Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Kind of Car Did The Model 3 Replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1967 Buick Skylark convertible to LR RWD! Quite the difference..
I was commuting 40 miles in LA in a 50 year old car. I got tired of it overheating in the hot sun, sitting in LA freeway traffic.. I had it for 15 years so I think I deserve the Tesla. Of course as soon as I got the Tesla I changed jobs and now my commute is an easy 15 minute, 10 mile journey

Reactions: Leafdriver333
More or less replacing a 2012 Honda Odyssey but also have a 2017 Kia Optima plug-in. I bought the plugin to prolong the move to a tesla, I wish I just waited and kept the VW Passat TDI SEL at the time but thanks to dieselgate I still made plenty off that car.

Just got a M3 LR AWD and loving it.

The goal is to sell the van and Kia and get a used MS and save up for a truck or something with room for the kiddos on trips or pulling something.

2016 Audi Q3. My wife loved it, I hated everything about it. As soon as she mentioned wanting a Tesla the order was placed! I live remote and don't have a way to charge, otherwise I would have one instead of my Wrangler. Though roof and doors off all summer still has some appeal...

My Model 3 (which we will be ordering August 1) will be replacing a 2018 Honda Accord.

Once per week (I'm an airline pilot) I drive 138 miles to work, take off on a 3 or 4 day trip, then drive 138 miles back home. The drive is all Interstate 15, except for 5 miles. Unfortunately, there isn't an EV charger in the employee parking lot of the airport, so I most likely will have to stop at a Supercharger (in Las Vegas, late at night) for a few minutes before heading home. Regardless of the inconvenience, I really look forward to getting the car.

Sounds like time to see if they might add a Tesla destination charger there somewhere (or other L2).

i am curious cause many prob feel its Prius and Volt/Leaf owners but I have a feeling many sportscar owners switched to the M3.

Please list what car you used to drive or sold to get the model 3 and which model 3 you bought !

I sold my BMW M4 and I’m glad I did... I have awd m3 long range but with many mods already .

2004 Acura TL A-Spec to M3 long range with EAP. The Acura was a great car and I enjoyed it, but the M3 is so much better in so many ways.

2013 BMW 335i Msport that we ordered back in 2012. Performance center delivery and all. Car has been flawless for 65k.

I’ll be sad to see the BMW go. But it should be a good trade up to a model 3 performance.

(Or was “the wife’s”. But she rarely drives so she’s getting my 2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hardrock).

Attachments

• 8B5D20CB-9307-4A4F-84DB-A5E1B84A31BB.jpeg
    8B5D20CB-9307-4A4F-84DB-A5E1B84A31BB.jpeg
    422.8 KB · Views: 81
Never had a fast car, I think the M3 AWD in Chill mode still might be faster than anything I've driven. I guess it's replacing our Sienna (kids gone), but we haven't been able to let the old friend go yet.

I didn't set out to buy a performance car. Part of me loves to make supercar moves on public roads, but that guy scares me.

Anyway, in shopping for EVS, once I looked at the available support for long distance travel, the Supercharger network obviously makes Tesla the only game in town. Seeing that the M3 could indeed hold our camping stuff, there it is. Not really what we thought of as our style of car, but of course the features grow on you...

I'm ambivalent about the crazy performance of these beasts. On the one hand, it does announce to the ICE world that electrics are the new boss. On the other hand, I don't really want to increase the backlash against EVs.

So, in the absence of personal self-restraint in the heat of traffic, I'll try to keep it in Chill.

I was a Day1 reservation on the M3, at the time I drove an Audi A4 which was coming off lease in 8mnts. The rational was that the M3 would be ready by time my lease was up, boy was I young and dumb :)

I extended the A4 lease by 6mnts, then I did a short term (2yr) lease on a Lexus IS 350 (I surprisingly enjoyed it) all before my M3 was ready.

View attachment 418413

I think I made a good trade

View attachment 418414

Nice wheels -- what size and wheels / tires are those ?

2016 Range Rover Evoque. Lease expired in April of this year and decided to get the M3 in December because of the full tax credit (though, because of price drops, not knowing to ask for FSD because it wasn't on the website builder, and other things, I probably just could've waited and spent less despite the lower federal tax credit I would've gotten...). Still super happy, as it's my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. The Evoque had held that distinction and it was hard not just leasing a new one, but I'm glad I made the switch.

2017 Nissan Titan Pro-4x with some light mods to make it an off-road camping / skiing beast. I still miss that aspect of it as it’s going to be harder to get off the grid with my boys.

But the M3 LR AWD is amazing and already changing the game for my 55mi round trip commute. Before the Titan I had a tuned M sport 335i that was a ton of fun and prior to that a couple e36 M3s. Still very fond of the e36 ///M but the Tesla is in a different category of fun.

Eager to see what the Tesla pickup looks like later this summer...

View media item 119897
View media item 119896