Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Kind of Car Did The Model 3 Replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SL550. God I hope I didn't make a mistake.

20190611_131618.jpg

2001 Toyota Avalon XLS -> 2018 Model 3 AWD

And here I thought I might have had the oldest but got beat out by at least two others. My 2001 Toyota Avalon XLS v6 was pretty much fully loaded. We had bought it for when the parents came out to have something comfortable to go on vacation with them in. Long paid off so enjoyed those years of no car payments. We took good care of it and had it regularly serviced and still got 27-30mpg on the highway. Huge tank and when gas hit $5+, huge gasoline refills. Also came with at least a huge 5-body trunk. Do miss that. Think they downsized the trunk after that year. Still looked good but time was catching up to it. Our last A/C repairs were a nightmare. While the Toyota was a great car I hated the new Toyota designs and hadn’t seen anything out there that interested me more than my husband’s 2017 MS 75D which I loved driving and being in. Debated on talking him out of his car but he didn’t want to pass it on, so since I felt it was a bit bigger than I wanted at this point (the Avalon was a big car too), decided this go round to buy a LR Model 3 AWD. Apart from the cargo space being less, but with rear seats that went down, it’s worked out well and feels spacious considering it is shorter. Really happy I made that decision and just love my Model 3. It is a sportier feel driving. We’re definitely sold on Tesla and waiting for our roof to need replacing and hope the solar tiles are being widely installed by then.

So in today Stockholders meeting I think Tesla’s statistics for the Model 3 were something like 60 or 65% new Tesla car buyers were coming from moderately priced cars by today’s standards. Anyone keeping track here in this thread?

Guess I’m the odd one then... most people appear to be stepping up to M3 price wise anyway ... not too many coming from a sportscar .

Hackster’s Bugatti Veyron must have been a lot more expensive than my green Gallardo. I have mine listed for sale, but it’s winter here (and it’s a convertible) so I’m not holding out much hope of getting the money before my Performance Model 3 becomes available (in August, they say). So I’ll have to sell something else, maybe my Abarth 500 or my Giulietta.

I’m expecting the Model 3 to be a much more pleasant and generally faster-feeling drive than the somewhat sluggish Gallardo, the engine of which must be kept ‘on the boil’ to make good progress.

-Alex

Replaced a 2000 BMW 323i 5 speed with Sport Premium package, Xenon headlights and a cassette deck (which was never used; I installed a 12-disc CD changer).

Ha! This is how I know Lexus is a luxury brand -- the 1998 came with a 6-disc changer in the glove box! (In later years, I may have been heard to lament the lack of an AUX input, however...)

I’m expecting the Model 3 to be a much more pleasant and generally faster-feeling drive than the somewhat sluggish Gallardo, the engine of which must be kept ‘on the boil’ to make good progress.

Yeah, I drove a Rogue for a bit while waiting for my Model 3 delivery. It's no Gallardo, but the engine must have been a distant branch of the same tree -- it ran great so long as you kept it at 4000 RPM. Like, always. Just crank up the stereo and hope nobody else notices.

OMG I'm glad to have a Tesla!

• Funny
Reactions: alexGS
I was a Day1 reservation on the M3, at the time I drove an Audi A4 which was coming off lease in 8mnts. The rational was that the M3 would be ready by time my lease was up, boy was I young and dumb :)

I extended the A4 lease by 6mnts, then I did a short term (2yr) lease on a Lexus IS 350 (I surprisingly enjoyed it) all before my M3 was ready.

upload_2019-6-12_9-20-39.jpeg

I think I made a good trade

EE9A9A2E-D8A7-4CD8-A54A-EE5D378394EC.jpeg

similar story from everyone...nobody regrets moving to a model 3....after driving my m3 for a week, I thought to myself
“ ice cars just seem dumb at this point”...that’s how you know the ice mkt and mindset has started its inevitable decline.

I know ICE is on the decline when on my commute to work via train, every stop on the train had one or more visible EV (usually a Tesla) in the commuter parking lot. This wasn't the case a year ago.

Ha! This is how I know Lexus is a luxury brand -- the 1998 came with a 6-disc changer in the glove box! (In later years, I may have been heard to lament the lack of an AUX input, however...)

Yeah, I drove a Rogue for a bit while waiting for my Model 3 delivery. It's no Gallardo, but the engine must have been a distant branch of the same tree -- it ran great so long as you kept it at 4000 RPM. Like, always. Just crank up the stereo and hope nobody else notices.

OMG I'm glad to have a Tesla!
Dammit...I forgot to take my cd's out of the changer

• Funny
Reactions: Spacep0d