Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Kind of Car Did The Model 3 Replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2004 VW Jetta Wagon TDI - bought it so I had the option to burn bio-diesel, which I did in varying ratios over the years.

Had it for 15 years, hoping to have the M3 for at least 10, hopefully more - never thought I would spend this much money on a car.

Sold my 2018 Charger and my 1990 military HMMWV to buy my wife’s M3. Now for the long wait for my Cybertruck.
E35484A0-2F37-420C-928C-369F7DA7C0FD.jpeg
4ACFF55D-CADE-4E63-B11D-D833C5373786.jpeg

... I'll miss my manual, but I'd pretty much made my peace with that before I even gave the Tesla a look.

I always enjoyed driving a manual. But I sold my last manual (Honda Civic wagon) sixteen years ago when I got the Prius. Two years later I got the Zap Xebra, then the Roadster, and now the 3. A manual transmission is fun, but an electric motor is better. :)

Reactions: Zcd1
My 2020 Model 3 replaced two cars. I had originally had a different car on order, but cancelled it for the Tesla about 24hrs after an impromptu test drive. (Mostly) no regrets :).

1. 2007 BMW 335i coupe, manual transmission, ~79K miles. Still looked pretty new after over 12 years.
IMG_4780.jpg

2. 2015 Mercedes C400, ~30K miles
IMG_1974.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: house9
Had been carless for 11 years since my last high school hooptie '98 Chevy Cavalier before picking up my M3 LR RWD.

After moving to Seattle, it's lackluster public transportation finally convinced me i needed a car and I couldn't bring myself to buy an ICE after going w/o a car for so long. The only EV that fit my lifestyle going out to the mountains often was a Tesla.
"Lackluster public transportation" is...generous.

Reactions: PNWLeccy