Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of options/upgrades are you considering and why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Canada eh. In a city between Vancouver and Toronto. And no, I don't know your aunt Gertrude from Toronto.

I'm looking at features that will make this car as functional as possible for me and the climate I live in.

- battery upgrade (if it doesn't come with software witchcraft to jump from a 55 to 75)
- dual motors (so I can get away from samsquanches fast)
- hi amp charger (there currently aren't any superchargers where I live for 800km)
- cold weather package (so I don't need to wear my wooly mammoth jacket. At least not all of the time)

The only aesthetic option I would consider would be the vegan/synthetic interior because I'm always spilling maple syrup when I eat my pancakes at the truck stop in Moose Jaw

If the battery on the Model 3 is not software-upgradeable, I might opt for the bigger capacity if it will add at least 100 miles to the range (240 miles is probably Tesla's target for the base model since the Chevy Bolt is advertised at 238 miles and 193 miles at full throttle). If it will only add 50 miles, I don't think I will need that extra distance especially if it will cost $5k or more.

For $5k, I might as well just buy a used Nissan Leaf for $10k (or maybe less) a few years down the road since it makes sense for my household to have a 240 miles and a 84-107 miles EV than have just one that can go 290 (240 + 50) miles . :)

If the battery on the Model 3 is not software-upgradeable, I might opt for the bigger capacity if it will add at least 100 miles to the range (240 miles is probably Tesla's target for the base model since the Chevy Bolt is advertised at 238 miles and 193 miles at full throttle). If it will only add 50 miles, I don't think I will need that extra distance especially if it will cost $5k or more.

For $5k, I might as well just buy a used Nissan Leaf for $10k (or maybe less) a few years down the road since it makes sense for my household to have a 240 miles and a 84-107 miles EV than have just one that can go 290 (240 + 50) miles . :)

You joined this site on my birthday, brah.

Reactions: internalaudit
Thanks to a link that was posted in another thread, I have just learned that Ludicrous is not what I thought it was. I had imagined that it was merely an indicator for a trim line that is a lot quicker, like the Performance version available on the Model S. Now I see that it's actually a special mode that warms the battery pack, cools the motor, takes time to do both, is hard on both, and requires a ten-minute cool-down before it can be used again. So it's really useless except for drag racing.

Knowing this, I no longer have any interest in it.

My non-Sport Roadster has a "Performance" mode that I never use. I turned it on once for the hell of it, and could not really tell the difference. I think in my Roadster it might make a difference of a couple of tenths of a second from zero to sixty.

I would like my Model 3 to be quicker off the line, in normal driving and Standard mode, than my Roadster is, also in normal driving and Standard mode. I've gotten used to the acceleration, and the one thing that might make me reconsider the Model 3 would be if it's not available in a trim line that's quicker than my Roadster. I still want all the safety and auto-pilot features, so acceleration would not necessarily be a deal breaker, but I'd have to think about it. The P85D Model S I test-drove once was quicker than the Roadster. I don't know if they had it in Performance mode for the test drives. So I'm still hopeful that the Model 3 will do what I want it to. But Ludicrous is off my list of the options I want.

I still definitely want dual motors, and probably the Performance version. And probably the largest battery pack offered.

• Informative
Because it will be my 2nd car and maybe the first car my daughter drives I will go with lowest battery, dual motor, air suspension, glass roof, sub zero, nice paint and cloth seats. Oh, and because i missed out autopilot on hw2 by weeks, I will get the enhanced and self driving which might come in handy if my daughter "drives" the car.

• Informative
I live in MN and have family in Western ND. That currently puts me 500 miles after the last Supercharger and in an area where there are not even level 2 chargers available. Here is my list in order.

Battery/range is the biggest thing (would love 300 miles going 75 in 10 degrees)
Black leather (wife doesn't like light interiors and have a child likely to spill things)
Not black or white exterior
Tech pkg/whatever gets me up to at least AP1 function
Upgraded stereo
Cold Weather pkg (never realized how much I'd love a heated steering wheel until I got one)
Dual motors will mostly only be if it increases range a decent amount, but a nice have for the weather

Things I don't care for/won't get
Air Suspension
Pano roof, would rather have better noise/temp insulation
Dual Chargers (not sure who would have a 100A circuit I can use, current 48A will probably be max I could find to use)
Full autonomous driving, would only feel I could use it 6 months/year (if legally allowed) and AP1 is all you really need for driving through ND. Besides I'm buying this car so I can have fun driving it, not to be chauffeured around :)

I live in Canada eh. In a city between Vancouver and Toronto. And no, I don't know your aunt Gertrude from Toronto.

I'm looking at features that will make this car as functional as possible for me and the climate I live in.

- battery upgrade (if it doesn't come with software witchcraft to jump from a 55 to 75)
- dual motors (so I can get away from samsquanches fast)
- hi amp charger (there currently aren't any superchargers where I live for 800km)
- cold weather package (so I don't need to wear my wooly mammoth jacket. At least not all of the time)

The only aesthetic option I would consider would be the vegan/synthetic interior because I'm always spilling maple syrup when I eat my pancakes at the truck stop in Moose Jaw

Best post I have read in many months.

I am sorry, in my region they are not samsquanches, they are sasquatch and there is always a hidden one on every can of Kokanee.- maybe you will need to ask Bubbles for some help on determining the differences between the 2, they are a related species, but just a different breed. And to those who don't believe they are real, stay out of the woods

Best post I have read in many months.

I am sorry, in my region they are not samsquanches, they are sasquatch and there is always a hidden one on every can of Kokanee.- maybe you will need to ask Bubbles for some help on determining the differences between the 2, they are a related species, but just a different breed. And to those who don't believe they are real, stay out of the woods

Did we just become best friends?

Definitely never ever going to Canada again.

Really??? Canada has my three favorite places in the entire world, all wilderness mountain hiking lodges in southeastern British Columbia or just over the border in the Alberta. And the country itself is wonderful. Of course, you being in Florida, it's harder to get to.

(I've never seen a sasquatch there, but I've seen grizzly bears. They are beautiful animals. Yes, they can kill you, but they're far less likely to do so than all the people driving cars. Actually, even moose are more dangerous than bears. But drivers of cars are more dangerous than them also.)

Surprised no mention of Bioweapon Defense Mode. It's a must for me. I'm sick of smelling engine fumes, cigarettes, and weed here in Denver. Hopefully will be separate from premium interior as it is now in Model X.

Other than that, in order of importance I say: dual motors, suspension, subzero, glass roof, and paint. Will save for autonomy post delivery.

• Informative
Base model 3
Plain white paint
Maybe a battery
Maybe dual motors

That's all for me.

I'm thinking battery upgrades will be cheaper in a year or two.
As a Model S owner near the West Coast and one who stood in line on last March 31 for a Model 3 deposit, I should have a pretty high priority but will "test" that high priority by configuring a close to base 3 car similar to yours including the two maybes you listed. The battery upgrade comment caught my eye. I have an S60 software upgradeable to a 75 and there are many threads here discussing why many of us will probably never pay $7000 for the upgrade (or $6500 at time of car purchase) -- and will only consider it if it's much cheaper someday like $3 or $4k. However, I imagine you are referring to the potential for someday swapping your battery pack for a larger one. That is the more intriguing upgrade possibility (imagine upgrading from 60 to 100 five years from now when battery prices should drop) but so far it's not possible for either X or S -- and only recently available for Roadster for big bucks. No one knows if the 3 will have a software upgrade path similar to the S60/75 but I wouldn't count on it. The S60 brought in buyers like me who were only willing to buy at the sub-$70k price point after taxes. I don't see a similar marketing need for a car that will already be below $30k after taxes for a base model.

Last edited:
  • Informative
I'm in Georgia, so no need for dual motor for me.

Must have:
Leather w/ HEPA
EAP & Full Self-Driving
Glass Roof (I think? I should check this out in person)

Will probably splurge for:
Red Paint
Bigger Battery
Air Suspension

Not much interest in:
Performance mode
Dual motors (what's snow?)
Premium Audio (don't like paying for XM)
larger wheels

• Informative