Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of options/upgrades are you considering and why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My priorities were battery, dual motor and AP.

I was also thinking of pushing my budget slightly more to get some luxury options. Yet, after think for a while, I truly want full autonomy, yet the software isn't ready nor are regulations... So I might just get a bare bones 3 and save my money for the next 5 years, by then we might get full autonomy.

I definitely want dual motors and, after driving my Roadster for 5 1/2 years (maybe 7 by the time I get my Model 3) I'll probably want Ludicrous. I also definitely want autopilot, which I regard as a safety enhancement. Probably have to get the biggest battery as a prerequisite for Ludicrous, and that's fine. I need the cold-weather package here in Spokane. Spokane is nothing at all like North Dakota, but we get plenty of sub-freezing weather, and the occasional sub-zero weather.

I don't want or need air suspension, premium paint, leather, or anything purely cosmetic. I don't need a special color. I hope they have blue as a base color, but whatever color, I'll get used to it. I do not want a glass roof, though a sunroof/moonroof would be nice for ventilation in summer. I love replacing the cloth top with the aftermarket mesh top on my Roadster in hot weather. An open top is much better than A/C, especially in our relatively dry climate here.

I'd like a hatchback or lift-back more than a sedan, but I guess I'm out of luck on that one.

Performance and safety are my priorities. I don't much care about looks.

From another forum, if AP v2.0 gets us the four bullet features for free, all I really need are AWD, winter package and the dynamic cruise control, if that can ordered separately. :) I don't need auto lane change or parking. My daughter can chip (verbally and financially) in for any additional features she likes like sun roof. :)

All vehicles (S, X, eventually 3) produced as of 2016/10/19 come standard with Autopilot v2.0 hardware.

Safety features are included with all vehicles:
  • Automatic Emergency Braking
  • Front Collision Warning
  • Side Collision Warning
  • Auto High Beam
New Teslas will begin to get updated Autopilot in mid-December — here's what the system can do

Enhanced Autopilot, or Autopilot 8.1, allows the car to match speed to traffic conditions, automatically change lanes without driver input, merge on and off highways, and park itself. It can also maneuver around objects in a more complex environment than it could before to find you when you summon it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Falkirk
Well if the full self driving capability package will be differentiating itself from the new enhanced autopilot by the end of the year, I will certainly now consider getting that option also.

I know.....I saw his tweet this morning, and my thinking was that I would get EAP at delivery, and keep the FSD money in the bank until the feature was available, thus keeping my sticker price lower and paying less on taxes.

But now.......I guess I'm checking that box, too. LOL

I'm not sold on it, though. Stopping at traffic lights and stop signs is something I don't need and not something I find to be all that stressful. I can see the EAP being much more practical on highway commutes and trips. Granted, if Tesla ramps up 3 production quickly and I squirt into that $7,500 tax credit range, then I'll probably do it regardless. Also pretty confident there will eventually be a third autonomous hardware suite. And I also wouldn't be shocked if the price of EAP and FSD both crept up in price over the next year or two (like the original AP has done since its release).

I think I've got close to a year and a half before I really need to start worrying about it and finalizing my options, so we'll just see how things play out.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
... Stopping at traffic lights and stop signs is something I don't need ...

I don't need it either, but some folks do. Several years ago I got a courtesy ride home from a dealership and the driver ran a red light. Fortunately, no accident. This year a lady was giving me a ride, and she ran a stop sign. Fortunately, no accident. A few years ago I witnessed an accident when a lady ran a red light at full speed and t-boned a pickup truck. I was about 50 feet back, on the same street with the pickup truck. If I'd been just a bit ahead of where I was, I could have been the one hit.

I would gladly pay for automatic stopping at stop signs and red lights, even though I don't think I need it, just so that I don't cause an accident one of these days because I just happened to zone out for a moment.

• Informative
At a minimum:
Leather/Whatever needed to get black headliner. Plus vented seats if that is even possible.
Premium Sound
Auto Pilot

Really want depending on price:
Upgraded battery/dual motor (More for acceleration... This is my commuter car so long trips might be once a year)
Sunroof (I LOVE sunroofs. My problem is I am worried about having no sliding shade in Texas).
Rims (If I can't get the Tesla version I'll buy aftermarket).

I won't get full self driving until I know for darn sure that it is going to be approved for use in Texas.

• Informative
I don't get the point of vented seats. Any air flow would be blocked by my butt sitting on the seat. OTOH, I like cloth seats. They don't stick to my legs when I'm wearing shorts.

FWIW, I also don't get the purpose of heated seats. My butt is about the only part of me that doesn't get cold. A heated steering wheel would have been greatly appreciated in my Prius when I first bought it, in North Dakota, where in winter it can take ten to fifteen minutes before the cabin warms up. But my Roadster takes about a minute for the cabin to get warm. (About ten seconds for the air coming out of the vent to be hot.)

When you are hot from being outside any extra flow of air is appreciated. We use the heated seats in my wife's van all the time. It helps raise your core temperature while you are waiting for the cabin to heat up. Not sure if this is a problem on a Tesla because you can pre heat/cool the car and you don't have to wait for the engine to warm up to get heat.

For me, the main priority is AWD, that will be a must for Colorado, and whatever tech package they put together, if they don't include full navigation, etc. Everything else wold be a nice to have depending on price, such as a larger battery, tow/accessory option, paint upgrades, interior upgrades, etc. I have had full luxury and economy vehicles, so some items are definitely nice to have, but not a requirement. (Love my base Fiat 500 Abarth.) I would love enhanced autopilot and full autopilot, but depending on the cost, and the actual functionality, I would probably save my pennies and buy it down the road. (I know it costs more after the fact, but I would hate too pay thousands of dollars for a feature (full autopilot) that might not be available at time of purchase.)

I would pay pretty much any price for full autopilot, with the regulatory approval to actually be used. Let's say that without hesitation I would pay an extra $100,000 over the otherwise fully-optioned price, for a car that actually did all the driving and I could take a nap in the back seat.

Of course I know that is several years away, at least, but I don't think it will cost nearly that much. In fact, with the new Teslas including all the hardware, and the cost of software being all in the development, with no cost to download, I expect autonomous driving to cost much less than that.

I'd have no qualms paying $50,000 (though I expect it will be much less) for a system that would take control away from me in an emergency situation and perform accident avoidance or mitigation. The main reason I plan on giving up my Roadster for the Model 3 is to move in the direction of such features, even if mine won't be there yet.

I would gladly pay for automatic stopping at stop signs and red lights, even though I don't think I need it, just so that I don't cause an accident one of these days because I just happened to zone out for a moment.
I think they only way you'll get automatic stopping at lights and signs is with full self drive, enabled and engaged. Otherwise you'll only get emergency braking to avoid an accident.

I don't even need brakes in my Model 3. Will manage with 1 pedal as long as I can get in on Ludicrous at a not too expensive price.

Glass roof has got to be the most amazing aesthetic option.

I think they only way you'll get automatic stopping at lights and signs is with full self drive, enabled and engaged. Otherwise you'll only get emergency braking to avoid an accident.

You are probably right. I was merely talking about what I want and will pay for.

I don't even need brakes in my Model 3. Will manage with 1 pedal as long as I can get in on Ludicrous at a not too expensive price.

There will always be times when you need to stop more suddenly than regen. And if the car has low-speed creep, as my Roadster does, then you need to brakes to come to a full stop. Also, if regen is disabled you need brakes. The Roadster disables regen when the battery is full (i.e. charged on Range mode) and if the battery pack is too cold. We had a cold snap last week and I was unpleasantly surprised to find I had no regen.

I think you will need brakes, even if you use them relatively little.

Or maybe you were joking, in which case, sorry.

• Informative
^ I actually have a similar list but not so sure about upgrading the battery size if it will cost more than $4k Canadian cause I can use that for the extended warranty down the road.

I might add dynamic cruise control if it can be a separate add-on but I don't want to spend $5-7k on enhanced auto pilot but found out that dynamic cruise control can make me pay more attention on the highway as I don't have to keep looking at the speedometer.

Something on another thread brought this to mind:

I want the option to not have new-car smell in my car. I know a lot of people like new-car smell, which I think is outgassing of carcinogenic chemicals from the plastics used in the cars. Whatever it actually is, it makes me physically sick, severely nauseated, and I cannot stand it. I would pay to not have it.

Please, Tesla, give us the option to not have new-car smell. :(

• Funny
Reactions: alseTrick