Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of options/upgrades are you considering and why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[...]
Not much interest in:
[...]
Dual motors (what's snow?)
[...]

Dual motors are for more than just snow. The dual-motor Model S holds the road like it's on rails. Amazing cornering & handling on winding roads. I can imagine it will also be great on any kind of unpaved roads.

But of course it's an added cost. And we all have our priorities. For me, dual motors is a safety feature because of the much improved handling.

For me, the biggest battery is my #1 priority, autopilot is #2, and dual motors is #3.
When I bought my S a few months ago, my wife and I set a budget such that the car had to be mostly funded by the sale of a 911(993) Porsche, which meant an S60 without any of your three priorities. Obviously we could increase 60 to 75 by software for $7000, add EAP for $6000 and add FSD for $4000. So much for the budget if we do those three options. Budget Tesla shoppers who passed on the S or X for cost reasons may be shocked what they'll pay just for your reasonable options. The good news is I have a better car than my Porsche and it has none of your options.

So when I hear some people say they are so mad that they missed the upgrade from AP1 to EAP that they want to dump their AP1 car I have to wonder if they really appreciate what they own. I'm confident a $35,000 3 will be a superb car and that's close to the one I'm getting. Your $55,000-$60,000 model will be great, too.

When I bought my S a few months ago, my wife and I set a budget such that the car had to be mostly funded by the sale of a 911(993) Porsche, which meant an S60 without any of your three priorities. Obviously we could increase 60 to 75 by software for $7000, add EAP for $6000 and add FSD for $4000. So much for the budget if we do those three options. Budget Tesla shoppers who passed on the S or X for cost reasons may be shocked what they'll pay just for your reasonable options. The good news is I have a better car than my Porsche and it has none of your options.

So when I hear some people say they are so mad that they missed the upgrade from AP1 to EAP that they want to dump their AP1 car I have to wonder if they really appreciate what they own. I'm confident a $35,000 3 will be a superb car and that's close to the one I'm getting. Your $55,000-$60,000 model will be great, too.

The good thing is you can do the software upgrade to 75, activate EAP and FSD whenever you want and that won't be part of the original budget you set aside from the car.

I am planning to do just that if I can't afford EAP at launch. I'll just save my money and I'll probably be able to afford it the next year. I doubt they'll do the 60/75 thing again for the Model 3 because of the numbers involved. They'll make such a huge loss on selling cars which actually have bigger batteries - I assume most people who buy the base model won't be interested in upgrading.

So my budget will be to focus on the battery first - if the cost is trivial, I'll definitely buy it - otherwise I'll have to cut my losses and just accept a smaller battery. Which will hurt when I have to drive to customers instead of the office (but hey, maybe supercharging will get even faster by then).

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
The good thing is you can do the software upgrade to 75, activate EAP and FSD whenever you want and that won't be part of the original budget you set aside from the car.

I am planning to do just that if I can't afford EAP at launch. I'll just save my money and I'll probably be able to afford it the next year. I doubt they'll do the 60/75 thing again for the Model 3 because of the numbers involved. They'll make such a huge loss on selling cars which actually have bigger batteries - I assume most people who buy the base model won't be interested in upgrading.

So my budget will be to focus on the battery first - if the cost is trivial, I'll definitely buy it - otherwise I'll have to cut my losses and just accept a smaller battery. Which will hurt when I have to drive to customers instead of the office (but hey, maybe supercharging will get even faster by then).
If I upgrade battery will probably be first mostly because I agree with your thought that a software battery upgrade path won't be available, at least for the first year or two of production. The nice thing about the software limited S60 is the lack of much taper when Supercharging to 100%. The base 3 sounds like it will have 100% range similar to my S60 but unless it is software limited, Supercharging it to 100% will be much slower than for my S due to tapering -- and 100% is of some importance with the small battery.

If I upgrade battery will probably be first mostly because I agree with your thought that a software battery upgrade path won't be available, at least for the first year or two of production. The nice thing about the software limited S60 is the lack of much taper when Supercharging to 100%. The base 3 sounds like it will have 100% range similar to my S60 but unless it is software limited, Supercharging it to 100% will be much slower than for my S due to tapering -- and 100% is of some importance with the small battery.

Another nice thing is that you can charge your S 60 to 100% without worrying about battery degradation, because the cells aren't actually being charged to their limit. If the 3 is not software limited then you definitely don't want to charge to 100% if you can help it.

• Informative
yes Matt-This is why I was hoping for 3 levels of packs.
If the middle one has the larger battery-which I suspect it would-you might be able to get full charge faster and no battery degrades for yrs as there are more cells to keep that software battery limit to max.

Yep. It is so important to me that I'll sacrifice really nice things like PUP and white seats/carbon fibre decor just so I can get it.

• Informative
Another nice thing is that you can charge your S 60 to 100% without worrying about battery degradation, because the cells aren't actually being charged to their limit. If the 3 is not software limited then you definitely don't want to charge to 100% if you can help it.
Most experts here certainly believe that is true about the 60, but Tesla will not confirm it. I understand they don't want to discourage 75 sales, but it is disappointing that they won't confirm -- or refute such an important matter to all 60 owners.

... Budget Tesla shoppers who passed on the S or X for cost reasons may be shocked what they'll pay just for your reasonable options. ...

A fully-loaded Model 3 will not be a cheap car. It will be an expensive and extremely sophisticated, high-performance, moderately luxurious mid-size sedan. A base-level Model 3 will be affordable for the middle class, and even without the options will be a better car in pretty much every respect than any stinker in its price range. The trick for people on a budget will be to pass on the options and not compare theirs to the fully-loaded ones. You would not compare a Corolla to a Lexus. A loaded Model 3 at double the price of the base model is the wrong comparison to make with a base Model 3.

This is the primary reason I plan on getting the largest battery pack. I don't really need the range. I want to be able to use just the sweet range of the battery that minimizes degradation.

A fully-loaded Model 3 will not be a cheap car. It will be an expensive and extremely sophisticated, high-performance, moderately luxurious mid-size sedan. A base-level Model 3 will be affordable for the middle class, and even without the options will be a better car in pretty much every respect than any stinker in its price range. The trick for people on a budget will be to pass on the options and not compare theirs to the fully-loaded ones. You would not compare a Corolla to a Lexus. A loaded Model 3 at double the price of the base model is the wrong comparison to make with a base Model 3.
Unlike the Corolla-Lexus comparison where there are probably some significant distinguishing performance and appearance/comfort characteristics, there is very little noticeable other than the badge on the trunk to distinguish my $63k after tax credit S60 with only gray NextGen seats, glass roof and carbon fiber trim from a $150k loaded model. You would think at least the acceleration difference between the base and higher levels would be a huge difference, but honestly, the instant-on torque of the 60 is just as awesome as the Porsche 911 that I sold to buy my S. Who could possibly use more than that level of performance 99.99% of the time? (Of course it would be fun to brag that my car goes 0-60 in two+ seconds but what possible difference does that make on the street?)

I would expect a similar situation when comparing a base 3 with one costing more than double the base amount. This is very good for those of us living a transportation dream on a budget, but probably somewhat annoying for those who are in the top tax bracket and wanting the world to know it!

I'm not concerned about what the world knows. I'd prefer the world knew less about me rather than more. But I can tell you that after driving my Roadster, acceleration is really nice to have when it comes time for passing and merging, and I presume the difference will be significant between the base and performance versions of the Model 3. I'd rather not have visual indications on the car. But I do want the performance.

I can also say after test-driving a P85D Model S, that dual motors make a world of difference in handling. Again, I have no interest in advertising to other drivers that I have an expensive car, but I do really want the improved handling of the dual-motor version.

So, yes, with both acceleration and handling, the performance, dual-motor Model 3 will be a much nicer car than the base model. That extra cost will be worth it, if you can afford it. For those who cannot afford it, or who do not share my preferences, the base model will still be the best car in its price class.

Dual motors for winter driving
Air suspension because my Prius scrapes on the driveway if I'm not careful, I'm sure the 3 will do the same.
Larger battery for more highway range
Cold weather package
Panoramic glass roof
Leather or 'vegan leather' interior, whichever lasts longer
Upgraded sound system

Still debating on self-driving. I like to drive, but I'm planning on keeping this car for a long time. As I get older I'll probably want to let the car do the driving while I enjoy the scenery.

• Informative
Dual motor version - snow, compacted snow, fluffy snow, slushy snow and 24 different snow versions more. Ice, did I mention that? (unfortunately will not tolerate price above 4000€).
Smaller 55kWh battery pack - definitely overkill for me, but due to pretty cheap price per kWh I'm happy with that huge pack as well.
Model3 will not offer air suspension and even if it did, I will not take that. But adjustable dampers, maybe (if price appropriate).
Glass roof - only if 1) it doesn't open and 2) it has an integrated manually or electrically operated full shade (not mesh) - because, cold, don't want extra weight for mechanism I rarely use (have that on my other vehicle) nor heat the cabin like crazy.
non-leather interior, also not cheap cloth - either synthetic plastic/polymer or partial leather, definitely not black.
cold weather package - still cold you know... I really hope to see heated windshield here. Would be worth 400€ extra.
Not sure about sound system, need to listen the base version first, definitely not interested if costs more than 800€. (BMW offers two upgrade options for M3-competitor, 400€ and 1100€, latter is opted less than 5%, hope Tesla won't overkill that one)
Smallest possible wheels - because I love driving comfort more than looks. Also running costs. Might choose turbine if budget allows.
Cheaper onboard charger - have lots of ChaDeMo's and house is already a huge sucker so nothing above 1x3kW or 3x2kW will work.
Non-black nor 50shades of gray vehicle. Blue is my preference.
Premium package is hardest for me because I don't know what it will offer. I don't want automatic liftgate. Either tinted windows or integrated mesh shades would be very welcome. Upgraded headlights, maybe.
Not sure about towing package - need it few times per year and I can use appropriate vehicle. Only if cheap. (1000€ on BMW, no go for me).
I don't need roof rails. I don't want spare tire. But I do want two sets of carpets - velour and rubber.

Model 355D please. Blue. Thank you.

Well if the full self driving capability package will be differentiating itself from the new enhanced autopilot by the end of the year, I will certainly now consider getting that option also.

Crap. I'm reconsidering FSD and EAP. The ebb and flow of pre-car ownership. I'm just not sure I want to spend the money on something I don't "need". And since I think full autonomy will require a HW3 suite anyways, I'm not sure I want to spend $8K+ on it.

I went to visit my local Tesla showroom today (friendly guys, spoken with them before).

Most of you are already Tesla owners so you'll already know this, but it was news to me that the "next gen" seats are now standard on all models. I was not aware of this. I'm hoping it will be the same on Model 3 because that means it's one option less I'll need to pay for.

They also thought that the UK will be getting Model 3 in 2018. Very optimistic - I told them I expected 2019, but they were pretty sure about the 2018 date, and they said reservation holders should be getting test drives in Model 3 in the first half of 2018. Maybe they know something or they were just guessing...

The second guy I spoke to was pretty sure that we'll be seeing really fast superchargers really soon. He couldn't tell me if they would be backwards compatible with current Teslas, but he was really excited about the idea of charging in 10 minutes. He was using Elon's tweets as proof. He also said getting a Chademo adaptor really wasn't worth it in his opinion, and said he tells his customers to drive it for a few months first before they think of buying additional cables. They're expanding the Supercharger network in the UK and said Tesla's aim is not to have to get Tesla owners to use other kinds of charge points.

Last edited:
  • Informative
I went to visit my local Tesla showroom today (friendly guys, spoken with them before).

Most of you are already Tesla owners so you'll already know this, but it was news to me that the "next gen" seats are now standard on all models. I was not aware of this. I'm hoping it will be the same on Model 3 because that means it's one option less I'll need to pay for.

I am a Model 3 reservation holder and was not aware of this, so then the premium package,is that just the upgrade to leather or vegan leather? I got my sights on those white leather seats!