Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What made you choose a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks VW ... but I ain't buying anything from your stable ever again.
Never actually owned any VW stable car, had a Passat Estate rental as a fill in between my last car and the M3. I can’t say it did anything for me personally ”just a car”. The adaptive cruise was shocking on it, it was style over comfort (diesel with the R pack, big wheel’s etc), the M3LR is far more comfortable. Audi I just see as expensive VW, Skoda/Seat cheaper VW lol.
The M3 for me personally is a good OK but that’s it. It doesn’t fill me full of joy to drive it (I don’t bean cars anyway) and the whole tech thing I find underwhelming (but the latest tech in general is in the same bracket too). I think it’s just the whole EV car scene to be fair, just a bit soulless but it’s something I and many others have to get used to. On the plus side I don’t miss the extortionate ICE fuel bill, VED etc but doubt whether my next car would be a Tesla personally.
I can see why a lot of people like them but for me once others catch up on range & SUC opens up then I’ll be a deserter to another brand I think.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
We’ve got a Passat GTE estate at the moment. I find ACC to be pretty good. I have it on almost all the time. It has the same problems that a lot of radar based systems do with stationary cars but apart from that no complaints
I would agree with that, I’ve got a VW Touran at the moment, and its fine for motorways but it doesn’t lane assist and as you said any stationary car on normal roads are a huge problem for me, so I just use it on M roads really.

We’ve got a Passat GTE estate at the moment. I find ACC to be pretty good. I have it on almost all the time. It has the same problems that a lot of radar based systems do with stationary cars but apart from that no complaints
I’ve never driven by watching the car immediately in front, always 3 or 4 in front so very rarely use my brakes on motorways as I just ease off the accelerator or knocked dumb cruise off. I hate the drive up behind and hit the brakes style of driving which is what the Passat did, it’s a less relaxing style of driving as well as being uneconomical 🤷🏼‍♂️. I dislike adaptive cruise as a general rule anyway and find the Tesla less relaxing to drive than my old dumb cruise equipped cars, having to cover the accelerator just in case it spots a ghost is not conducive to the relaxed driving style at all imo. Each to their own though😁 lane assist is switched off too and Joe mode enabled for me, can’t ever see me going FSD at all either tbh.

Reactions: candida
Really simple answer.

They're the best EV on the market by a country mile and it's no debate.

Best Kw per mile.
Best charging options.
Best software experience.

Other cars may drive a tad better but the supercharger network makes it a no brainer. I'm south London and wherever I see public chargers they're either full or not working. I could NEVER!

no USS is quite concerning moving forward and I'm concerned about my order.

Anybody who buys an EV that isn't a Tesla is making a huge mistake, just simply down to the public charging being so awful. Every EV owner who goes back to ICE is usually an ex Audi owner who got 220 miles EPA and then couldn't rely on public charging in the winter etc.

Reactions: M1tch
the supercharger network

Well at least I can relate to one of your stated 'benefits'.

software experience.

I'll even concede that it certainly is a 'software experience'. When I first got my car every update was eagerly anticipated with a fair amount of 'fomo' if an update seemed to skip my car. Now its more like 'fonmo' as I cling to a software version that I think I can live with!

What made me choose a Tesla (despite the company being run by the planet's biggest gobshite)? The performance and handling being breathtaking; the efficiency and range being exceptional; and the supercharger network being unparalleled.

I'd been running a Zoe for 4 years as our main car, and whilst it handled all my commuting and our local driving, we needed to keep an old diesel Yaris for long journeys. For about a year I'd been keeping an eye out for the single EV to replace both. Our son, Theo, suggested I look at a Model 3 since his US girlfriend's dad had a 2015 S which he'd bought new, and Theo had loved driving it. I was a bit skeptical, but the performance and efficiency figures looked amazing, and the supercharger network promised to eliminate all recharging stress for longer trips. So when Theo was back in the UK I booked us in for test drives of the LR, and the e-Niro for comparison.

We picked up the M3 from the Leeds store without any sales bullshit delay, and I cautiously headed out. At the first roundabout there was a gap so I gave it full beans to get across and around ... and in the next 5 seconds I was completely sold. Awesome acceleration and flawless handling. It was like playing a computer game on a rollercoaster. The next hour we just howelled like teenagers as I pushed on to find its limits. And it didn't disappoint. It bested my earlier 61 plate 330D Touring by some margin. Its ability to overtake gave me confidence I'd not experienced since riding my R1200GS. Just awesome.

I almost cancelled the e-Niro appointment, but I'm glad I didn't. The salesman came with us this time and did what salesmen do. The car was worthy but incredibly dull. From the dazzling colours of the previous test back to a bland monochrome drive. And a totally retro experience being in a conventional dealer. Not to be repeated. But it was worth taking the time to underline how much of a bargain it was to spend the extra to go from dull for £40k to dazzling for only £10k more.

The whole family tracked its journey from Shanghai assisted by @Mr Miserable, with eager anticipation. 18 month on and 12,000 miles later those original rational and emotional justifications still stand. We've had no big issues, and my initial concerns about build quality have proved pessimistic. Challengers are coming but there's nothing available yet which would tempt me to swap. And whilst I still despise Musk's antics and pronouncements, I didn't believe his FSD hype when I bought, and I find Tesla's actual achievements hugely impressive.

Hahaha. Very good! But I disagree. Number one should be "IT'S ELECTRIC." Tesla has been making this car for a buncha years now, and it's perfect for what it is. It is NOT a Honda or Toyota, thank goodness. They will give you knobs and levers like your grampa used to have fifty years ago, and if that's what you need, don't come looking for them here. Tesla, being electric, doesn't need a clutch or an oil and filter change. They don't need a muffler nor any of the exhaust system. They don't need a RADD e- atter, nor the gunk you put in one. Neither do they require a personal friend who does your mechanical work every few thousand miles, nor his shop. I've owned four Teslas and NEVER took them in for service in over 100,000 miles. How do gas cars compare with that? Tesla is not claiming they're extraordinary, but their acceleration definitely IS.

I don't know what hand controls you want, but you've got a hand operated steering wheel. What else are you missing? Lemme see... the rear-view mirror is made to be moved by hand. I guess I'm confused by what you call "gimmicks" as everything on my car is functional. My seat moves up and back and adjusts to my 6'4" frame, and the radio knobs work, though I don't use them. I guess they're just more gimmicks which we didn't have back in my day. There is a huge screen in the middle of the car that shows where I'm going and where superchargers are. Is that a gimmick? At least I don't need to unfold a huge paper map to check out my route. Is a paper map a gimmick?

I hear you say that they're "not very well put together". What do you drive? I have NO issues with how my S OR my 3 are put together. How can you care if there's a 1/32nd inch difference in panel gaps versus, who, Toyota? Who in the world cares? The wind doesn't blow into your face, does it? Nor does it whistle while you drive. The wheels don't fall off, nor does the headliner peel off and end up in your face. Not very well put together means nothing, other than YOU don't seem to like Tesla.

And you seem to be excited about supercharging. How about "charging at home"? Name one gas car that can fill up overnight in your garage. Besides being a major fire hazard, it won't happen. But worrying about other car companies using supercharging cannot matter. Tesla has said for YEARS that their goal was to move transportation to electric, and they were primarily working to prove to the other car companies that an electric car could be better than any gas car. By many metrics they have done this, and still many companies are unable to do it yet. Letting other cars use "our" system simply means there will be more electrics to choose from in the future. Maybe they'll put a "choke" on the dash that some folk feel they'll need.

Even battery prices are coming down, in large part because of Tesla's needing them. Methinks you complaineth too much.
🤣🤣🤣 very balanced

• Funny
Reactions: cryo
90% of our journeys are short trips through town, electric seemed to be the way to go for both emissions and killing v8's by never letting them actually warm up (I had an E92 M3 before).

The supercharging network - I can't get a home charger and have to rely on the public charging network, so if it had to be electric, it had to be a Tesla.

Oh, and the auto wipers, auto full beam and auto cruise control - oh no, wait, that's not right as they are all utter crap :D

Reactions: MashinBenzin
EV Scheme at work, made an EV the sensible choice given the current market.
Regular long distance europe trips made the Tesla the sensible option, and a fairly large dog, made the Frunk on the Y useful. If it wasn't for these I wouldn't me getting a Y as I dislike the looks massively and am still not convinced by the build of my mates M3 (hopefully things have improved).

Software maturity - Tesla has been at it for a decade, no one else has (and an EV is a PC with tires)
Charging network - can't live without it Tesla solved the chicken / egg problem here and it is not challenged
Cargo capacity - still more flexible than anything in the price range
Performance - yeah, it's very fun to drive, lets you squirt thru gaps when necessary, even at speed it jumps
Design / appearance - it's a clean look that will age well

The only real weakness:
The suspension was a weak point but I'm familiar with making changes to that. And now, Tesla may have solved it themselves with the new 'comfort' parts.

You’ll soon discover that this is actually a myth
I get that it's going to have its quirks - but to what do you refer?

Not sure of any other cars that can navigate as effectively as the Tesla can? Especially live charging info..

Can you watch Netflix / YouTube while charging on other EVs?

Sentry mode?
Dog mode?
Basic AP?
Light show / fun stuff for kids?

All of the above played a factor in my buying decision and I wasn't convinced by the alternative EVs (at this price point).

Be interested to know why you believe other EVs are ahead on the software front?

why you believe other EVs are ahead on the software front?

Obviously I can speak only for myself, but owning a Tesla has changed my opinion about what 'being ahead' in this kind of context actually means and might translate into.

Certainly, just setting amazing and previously unheard of objectives does not automatically put you 'ahead' in terms of what you can actually deliver.

If you have a crack team of developers who represent the best in their field, and facilities to match, then you may be the most likely to reach any given objective, but until such time as you have a stable, proven product, I don't think you can claim to be ahead, except may be from an aspirational perspective.

From a market disruption view, Tesla has already demonstrated very high achievement, and is a leader in that.

There are so many faces to software systems in our cars. The motor and car control and battery management seems pretty good to me ..... certainly at the time it was conceived it was pretty unique and therefore ahead of the game. But from a broader view, how can all the software related messing around over the months with auto wipers, USB album artwork display, auto head beam, windows not closed messages etc seem to remain unfixed in a car that is in someway ahead of the field? Almost every software update seems to herald new glitches and / or fail to fix old ones.

Are Tesla leading in what they are attempting to do given the way they are trying to do it? Probably yes.

Are Tesla trying to reinvent wheels or set about delivering functionality in the most appropriate way? I'm not so sure.

Are software update features delivered equally to all their cars? Not really. OTA updates that COULD add new features to all cars with compatible hardware seem to be targeted at certain (recent) versions only. So in what way exactly are Tesla universally ahead on the software front, other than in terms of what they aspire to achieve?

You’ll soon discover that this is actually a myth
well,
Obviously I can speak only for myself, but owning a Tesla has changed my opinion about what 'being ahead' in this kind of context actually means and might translate into.

Certainly, just setting amazing and previously unheard of objectives does not automatically put you 'ahead' in terms of what you can actually deliver.

If you have a crack team of developers who represent the best in their field, and facilities to match, then you may be the most likely to reach any given objective, but until such time as you have a stable, proven product, I don't think you can claim to be ahead, except may be from an aspirational perspective.

From a market disruption view, Tesla has already demonstrated very high achievement, and is a leader in that.

There are so many faces to software systems in our cars. The motor and car control and battery management seems pretty good to me ..... certainly at the time it was conceived it was pretty unique and therefore ahead of the game. But from a broader view, how can all the software related messing around over the months with auto wipers, USB album artwork display, auto head beam, windows not closed messages etc seem to remain unfixed in a car that is in someway ahead of the field? Almost every software update seems to herald new glitches and / or fail to fix old ones.

Are Tesla leading in what they are attempting to do in the way they are trying to do it? Probably yes.

Are Tesla trying to reinvent wheels or set about delivering functionality in the most appropriate way? I'm not so sure.

Are software update features delivered equally to all their cars? Not really. OTA updates that COULD add new features to all cars with compatible hardware seem to be targeted at certain (recent) versions only. So in what way exactly are Tesla universally ahead on the software front, other than in terms of what they aspire to achieve?
We can go deeply into rabbit holes on details and peccadilloes, so I tend to view this from a higher altitude.

System responsiveness - there's no lagging. when you need it, you can find it quickly, it responds. several other (notably VW) have a serious problem here.
overall layout - I find it reasonably intuitive. I can find stuff.
OTA performance, meaning not causing reboots to be needed or crashing the UI. Never had an issue. I don't do the bleeding edge first tranches.
Driveability - I think Tesla did well the integration of performance, regen, and energy efficiency.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex987854
Can you watch Netflix / YouTube while charging on other EVs?
No, but then again I’ve never stopped long enough to actually watch something on Netflix. By the time you’ve gone to the toilet and grabbed a coffee you’ll be done.

Sentry mode?
As you’ll find out, great idea; terrible implementation.

Dog mode?
Great, but you know, you can just switch on the climate control remotely

Basic AP?
Inferior to any modern adaptive cruise control

Light show / fun stuff for kids?
Gimmick.

System responsiveness - there's no lagging. when you need it, you can find it quickly, it responds.

My car is MCU2, so not latest, but I agree it is generally responsive and compared to other automotive media systems it is above average.

overall layout - I find it reasonably intuitive. I can find stuff.

I used to be able to find stuff... but along the way repeated changes in layout have left me often at a loss trying to remember the latest place a particular control has moved to. When I resort to trying voice commands so I can keep my eyes on the road, I do not have high expectations of success!

OTA performance, meaning not causing reboots to be needed or crashing the UI

Not causing crashes etc does not strike me as an especially high bar to qualify as having some claim to be ahead of the pack. And many owners report post update glitches that require one or more reboots to resolve.

Regarding Regen performance, I would also suggest that Tesla makes heavier weather out of that than other lesser EV's. The ongoing tweeks to how temperature and SOC effect regen suggest they still aren't happy. I'm not sure why not.

5 or 6 years ago, the then stated aspirations were certainly ahead of pretty much everything else. Now, to me it feels like even basic things aren't sorted so any claim of software being ahead doesn't really stick.

However, that could change quite quickly if a load of stars just happen to align.

Last edited:
Reactions: MashinBenzin