Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What makes a car "fun to drive"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just watch. When Doug reviews the Model 3 Ludicrous he will have a giant smile on his face and he will talk about how responsive and fun it is.

He has to cater to his viewers. He gets more clicks if he tells them what they want to hear.

I had so much fun at the Dragstrip with my Model 3 this weekend. I won my class and $1,000. Tell me this doesn’t look like fun to you.

View attachment 1032554View attachment 1032555View attachment 1032556
I mean literally none of that is applicable to the car doug reviewed (Highland). Which is in fact a pretty boring car. Slow and soft suspension.

Reactions: MarkoP and fredjan
Anything with a top down is fun to drive normally regardless of how bumpy and terrible the suspension is. something about the wind blowing in your face and your hair etc. a wrangler with the top down and doors off, is insanely fun to drive.
If i could drive my wrangler all year with the top down and doors off, i probably would -- but the weather puts a damper on those plans.
oh yea, and gas mileage is terrible....

a model 3 is fun to drive, quiet, smooth, great sound system, and even with the rwd, when you punch it, it goes.
is it a sports car - no. but for 38k plus taxes and fees, damn impressive. everyone I put in the car to drive it, is literally blown away, and i say wow, imagine driving the dual motor or performance version now...

Many reviewers, like Doug Demuro, like to say the Model 3 isn't really fun to drive - rather, it's just an appliance like a washing machine.

For me, fun to drive boils down to one metric: Responsiveness. I don't give a damn if it's pretty, or luxurious, or fashionable, or whatever - if a car is a slug, I don't like it and it's not fun to drive.

The M3 is plenty responsive for me, and it's fun to hit the go pedal and feel that responsiveness. So for me, the M3 is fun to drive. I don't care what Doug says. Amirite?
I think that "fun-to-drive" is a very subjective category. Responsiveness is an important factor, but HOW the car responses to the input is another question. Many "dependent" reviewers praised really bad traction and stability controls of Ford Mach-E as evidence of it's superiority in the fun-to-drive category. I tend to think now that for the reviewers whose income depends on the reviews the "funness-to-drive" depends on how much direct and indirect contributions they receive from the manufacturers.

Reactions: fredjan
I think that "fun-to-drive" is a very subjective category. Responsiveness is an important factor, but HOW the car responses to the input is another question. Many "dependent" reviewers praised really bad traction and stability controls of Ford Mach-E as evidence of it's superiority in the fun-to-drive category. I tend to think now that for the reviewers whose income depends on the reviews the "funness-to-drive" depends on how much direct and indirect contributions they receive from the manufacturers.

Oh boy..... stop. The Magnaride damping system is superior to anything Tesla puts in the Model 3. It has nothing to do with "paid shills".

One of the biggest complaint in the 3 and Y has always been the suspension which is why everyone tosses it after purchase.

Reactions: tm1v2 and E90alex
Oh boy..... stop. The Magnaride damping system is superior to anything Tesla puts in the Model 3. It has nothing to do with "paid shills".

One of the biggest complaint in the 3 and Y has always been the suspension which is why everyone tosses it after purchase.
The Ford MachE messes up pretty badly in the moose tests. Also, isn't magnaride only available in the top of the line trim?

I'll agree that the pre-highland model 3 suspension isn't the greatest, but let's not pretend that the MachE is a particularly good handling EV. It really isn't.

And you can argue all that you want about the moose test not being official/legit, at the end of the day it's a very practical way to figure out how well the vehicle handles under an extremely plausible real world scenario.

I wouldn't call it slow. Soft yes, but not slow. It is just that we have become almost numb to ridiculous acceleration in reasonably priced cars now.
Rwd only does 0-60 in 5.8 which is on par with a Camry, and I don’t think many here would object to a Camry being considered an appliance. Long range does 4.2 which is somewhat respectable, but still middle of the road as far as EVs go. And both cars top out at 125 mph which is slow compared to most cars out there.

Rwd only does 0-60 in 5.8 which is on par with a Camry, and I don’t think many here would object to a Camry being considered an appliance. Long range does 4.2 which is somewhat respectable, but still middle of the road as far as EVs go. And both cars top out at 125 mph which is slow compared to most cars out there.
I have the 1/4 mile record for the Model 3 and yet I have topped 125 mph exactly 1 time the entire time I have owned it. Top speed isn’t as necessary as people think it is.

4.2 0-60 mph is quick for a family sedan no matter how you look at it.

4.2 0-60 mph is quick for a family sedan no matter how you look at it.
Yeah but the question is whether the car is fun, not whether or not it’s quick for a family sedan.

And it being an EV is relevant because the acceleration tends to have a less exciting feel to it, so you tend to need the more brutal acceleration to get that visceral reaction you get when driving an ICE car at full tilt.

Reactions: MarkoP and E90alex
Yeah but the question is whether the car is fun, not whether or not it’s quick for a family sedan.

And it being an EV is relevant because the acceleration tends to have a less exciting feel to it, so you tend to need the more brutal acceleration to get that visceral reaction you get when driving an ICE car at full tilt.
Everyone has their own definition of fun. Some people hate roller coasters. Other people hate sitting still. Some people like quiet. Others like raucous noise.

It is almost useless trying to define if a car will be fun or not because you can’t predict what the person driving thinks is “fun”.

Instead we can only provide data on what the car can and cannot do and then the person can decide for themselves whether they want that or not.

Everyone has their own definition of fun. Some people hate roller coasters. Other people hate sitting still. Some people like quiet. Others like raucous noise.

It is almost useless trying to define if a car will be fun or not because you can’t predict what the person driving thinks is “fun”.

Instead we can only provide data on what the car can and cannot do and then the person can decide for themselves whether they want that or not.

This is the correct answer.

Sure, by that metric there's no point in discussing anything.

Reactions: E90alex
Sure, by that metric there's no point in discussing anything.
Just as pointless as your original comment:

Just as pointless as your original comment:
Are you denying that 5.8s is on par with a Camry (a car that’s pretty universally considered to be the quintessential appliance car) or that 125mph is a low top speed by “modern” (ie last 30 years) standards?

The point is there’s nothing about the objective metrics that make the car more likely to be a “fun” car. And as far as subjective things go, lazy suspension and slow acceleration tend to put the car in the not fun camp amongst most car enthusiasts.

Are you denying that 5.8s is on par with a Camry (a car that’s pretty universally considered to be the quintessential appliance car) or that 125mph is a low top speed by “modern” (ie last 30 years) standards?

The point is there’s nothing about the objective metrics that make the car more likely to be a “fun” car. And as far as subjective things go, lazy suspension and slow acceleration tend to put the car in the not fun camp amongst most car enthusiasts.

Is the Camry RWD?