Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What makes a Supercharger location great?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Location within the parking lot is critical too. The charging stalls shouldn't be so far from the restaurant/store/hotel that is becomes a safety issue late at night. But it shouldn't be too close to the restaurant/store/hotel so as to invite ICEing.

24 hour restaurant (solves bathroom problem).
I'd struggle with this one. Many 24-hr places fail on food quality, atmosphere/appeal, and clean restrooms as well as often being located in less desirable areas. How many people travel and need to charge between midnight and 5am vs the rest of the day? Now, to contradict myself a bit, I've written a few reviews on Chargerville and noted the potential for a charger location to perhaps not be very safe feeling during the middle of the night.

If Tesla can find a place and willing property owner that has some good quality (and healthy) cafés or restaurants as well as maybe a 24-hr McDonalds that would seem a good option.

Great thread BTW. Note that if you rate superchargers in Chargerville and why you like them then the best ones that we all want to be model locations to replicate (and why) will bubble to the top and provide Tesla with some great feedback. Somewhat similar with reviews on restaurants and other amenities.

Also, if you buy stuff at a store or restaurant then make sure to let them know that you're there because of the Supercharger.

What makes a SC great?

Simple:
1. it is free when you get there
2. it works when you get there
3. it is where you need it without you driving many miles off your way just to add some E

Everything else is just icing on the cake.
No well-lit restroom will confer me if I must wait to start charging an hour or two, or if it is broken or if I must take a big detour to get to it.

• Easy interstate access — we're supposed to be using these for long distance travel, which happens on highways.
  • 24-hour access to something. Maybe a restaurant, or perhaps like the Cincinnati Supercharger, the customer lounge in the adjacent Tesla Store + Service Center.
  • Tacos

While tacos are probably one of the most awesome things on Earth (coming shortly after Tesla Motors and SpaceX), I can live without them at the supercharger. :) I agree with the basics most have already said. That it works, that it has reasonably easy access from travel lanes / interstate, and is well lit at night. And that it is not set up such that it would suffer from frequent icing. A nearby bathroom would also be handy so you don't have to make an extra stop for bathroom break. Might also be nice to have host sites maintain a window wash station (not an expectation, but it would be nice should any host sites offer it).

Reactions: Armadillos