Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What motor does your 2023 Model Y have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dunno, didn’t ask.

Btw, Feb 22… is tomorrow?
Thanks for sharing, I think he meant to ask if the build date was 2/2023 (February). That info can be found on the car's sale sticker or in the driver's door jam (upper left corner on the white sticker, not the yellow tire PSI sticker). Some other info that would be helpful, if not too much trouble: The VIN (most people drop the last 3 digits) and also the *GTX number one the 4D1 placard, which will identify the motor's manufacture date.

Reactions: Mr_Joe
Thanks for sharing, I think he meant to ask if the build date was 2/2023 (February). That info can be found on the car's sale sticker or in the driver's door jam (upper left corner on the white sticker, not the yellow tire PSI sticker). Some other info that would be helpful, if not too much trouble: The VIN (most people drop the last 3 digits) and also the *GTX number one the 4D1 placard, which will identify the motor's manufacture date.

Yes! Thank you,. correct. Feb 2023

what is your 8th digit of the VIN? MYLR or MYSR? Also with Matrix headlight?

Many Thanks!
That's a good question, I missed his post and it was the first recent vehicle with the 3D5/990 motor (expected on most MY LR). I'm suspecting an E in the 8th digit and it must be a MY LR, since all of the MYAWD (which some call SR) come from Austin but this is a Fremont build.

I would also like to know the vehicle manufacture date (probably February 2023) and the code on the 3D1/990 placard, which would provide the motor build date.

Last edited:
That's a good question, I missed his post and it was the first recent vehicle with the 3D5/990 motor (expected on most MY LR). I'm suspecting an E in the 8th digit and it must be a MY LR, since all of the MYAWD (which some call SR) come from Austin but this is a Fremont build.

I would also like to know the manufacture date (probably February 2023).
Some MYLR with E in 8th digital (3D1/980) from Fremont as well, right?

Some MYLR with E in 8th digital (3D1/980) from Fremont as well, right?
Yes. The E in the 8th digit represents the MY "standard motor" which was expected to be the 3D5/990. But all of the previous responses with the E (December and January build date) have had the 3D1/980 Performance motor. Every MYLR with an F in the 8th digit has had the new 4D1 Performance motor. It seems like the MY LR assembly line could be going back to the 3D5/990 motor, but this is only one instance so far (February build).

Last edited:
If I were to hazard a guess, Tesla is moving away from the older motors and possibly moving away from having different motors and relying on software limitations to differentiate.

That Fremont has ”leftover” inventory of older motors while Austin only has newer motors.

Someone else mentioned this, similar to computer graphics cards and even CPUs, the motors could be “binned.” Where they’re tested and if they don’t perform at least past a certain threshold, they get used as part of a “lower tier product. But, in the case of graphics cards, the chips are also marked as a lower tier chip. So it wouldn’t make sense for Tesla to bin a 4D1 as a lower tier while still stamping 4D1 on ”both tiers.” Otherwise people would assume it is the same and performs the same

Meh, who knows.

Last edited:
I'm starting to collect some data, but still have some holes in the responses. As a reminder, please provide the following information to help identify trends:

1. Model and Trim (MYLR or MYP).
2. VIN (You can drop the last 3 digits, but please include the 8th digit to see if all 4D1 motors have an F).
3. Vehicle Build Date (can be found on the driver's door jam or vehicle sticker sheet).
4. Factory (Fremont or Austin, can also be determined from the VIN's 11th digit, F or A).
5. Rear Motor (3D1/980, 3D5/990, or 4D1)
6. Rear Motor Build Date (With a good photo/video, can be determined from last 5 digits on the motor placard, should start with a 22 or 23 with 3 numbers identifying the sequential day of year).

This is the data so far:

Attachments

• Motoro Table.JPG
    Motoro Table.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 259