Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What motor does your 2023 Model Y have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is moving away from the older motors and possibly moving away from having different motors and relying on software limitations to differentiate.
They have actually certified replacements for both old motors. The 3D1 Performance is now the 4D1 Performance and the 3D5 Base is now the 4D5 Base. The latter motor just hasn't been spotted yet.
Someone else mentioned this, similar to computer graphics cards and even CPUs, the motors could be “binned.” Where they’re tested and if they don’t perform at least past a certain threshold, they get used as part of a “lower tier product.
The difference between the base and performance motor is the layout of the inverter. The Performance inverter has more "caps" (I beleive that is the correct name) to be able to provide a higher peak power. The whole mechanical part is supposed to be identical.

I think Tesla never meant to put 3D1 and 4D1 Performance motors into the Long Range. My best guess is a shortage of base motors (base inverters actually).

I'm starting to collect some data, but still have some holes in the responses. As a reminder, please provide the following information to help identify trends:

1. Model and Trim (MYLR or MYP).
2. VIN (You can drop the last 3 digits, but please include the 8th digit to see if all 4D1 motors have an F).
3. Vehicle Build Date (can be found on the driver's door jam or vehicle sticker sheet).
4. Factory (Fremont or Austin, can also be determined from the VIN's 11th digit, F or A).
5. Rear Motor (3D1/980, 3D5/990, or 4D1)
6. Rear Motor Build Date (With a good photo/video, can be determined from last 5 digits on the motor placard, should start with a 22 or 23 with 3 numbers identifying the sequential day of year).

This is the data so far:
My build date is 11/2022 and delivery date was 12/12/2022

I'm starting to collect some data, but still have some holes in the responses. As a reminder, please provide the following information to help identify trends:

1. Model and Trim (MYLR or MYP).
2. VIN (You can drop the last 3 digits, but please include the 8th digit to see if all 4D1 motors have an F).
3. Vehicle Build Date (can be found on the driver's door jam or vehicle sticker sheet).
4. Factory (Fremont or Austin, can also be determined from the VIN's 11th digit, F or A).
5. Rear Motor (3D1/980, 3D5/990, or 4D1)
6. Rear Motor Build Date (With a good photo/video, can be determined from last 5 digits on the motor placard, should start with a 22 or 23 with 3 numbers identifying the sequential day of year).

This is the data so far:
7SAYGDEE1PF68xxxx

Interesting comment I found in that video I posted above. Of course it's a random YouTube comment so no idea about the validity but would point to some reasoning why some Austin LR Model Ys were fitted with the 4D1 and why the placard shows the motor was manufactured in Texas:
Screenshot 2023-03-04 11.23.47 AM.png

What Cory said, made me think... is the 4D1 that some of us have, already the very motors Tesla talked about reducing rare earth elements?

Then again, maybe he's right in that 4D1 is the 4th generation he's talking about, but the reduced version is actually something more like the 5th gen (or later) that wasn't actually visible to him.

Just for reference, my November M3LR has the 3D1 rear motor. If I had to guess, they retooled the old LR motor lines to manufacture the new 4D1s and will convert the old 3D1 lines to the new LR motor shortly if it isn't done already.

Reactions: Mr_Joe
Okay, so I got REALLY bored and decided to go look at the motor placards.

Here, you can update my entry...

MYP
02/2023
7SAYGDEF1PF682xxx
Picked up 02/20/2023

20230307_001215.jpg
20230307_001840.jpg

What I find funny is, the GE8 part is the chassis code for my 2010 Honda Fit. It's like they're some how distantly related or something. 🥸

Reactions: JCLJorgenson