Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wrote a post about SPACs here before (What other tech stock to consider?), but this very well written article gives even more info and also talks about the fallout from Nikola.

Fast track to public listings dealt a blow amid Nikola fallout - FreightWaves
I'm considering agglomerating all the posts about SPACs into one thread; if some aren't aware I have strong negative opinions about them and I think the group would benefit from reading all points of view. Others' thoughts on such a thread (it is not always beneficial to keep sloughing off thread after thread, which is one reason I've not done it)?

I'm considering agglomerating all the posts about SPACs into one thread; if some aren't aware I have strong negative opinions about them and I think the group would benefit from reading all points of view. Others' thoughts on such a thread (it is not always beneficial to keep sloughing off thread after thread, which is one reason I've not done it)?

Either way - it isn't as if this thread gets tons of posts...

I believe I recall that you were a happy investor in IPOA, which became SPCE. Does your negative opinion of SPACs extend to Chamath's current "Hedosophia" stocks including IPOC? If so, I would indeed be interested in understanding what changed your mind. I do agree that there's plenty of room for abuse with SPACs, as we've observed with NKLA.

I believe I recall that you were a happy investor in IPOA, which became SPCE. Does your negative opinion of SPACs extend to Chamath's current "Hedosophia" stocks including IPOC? If so, I would indeed be interested in understanding what changed your mind. I do agree that there's plenty of room for abuse with SPACs, as we've observed with NKLA.
....and THAT's why I want to have them agglomerated. ===>I've ALREADY GONE OVER THAT!!!!!<=====:confused:

....and THAT's why I want to have them agglomerated. ===>I've ALREADY GONE OVER THAT!!!!!<=====:confused:
Look on the bright side, your opinions are valued here. Yes, agglomeration of SPAC posts could be helpful simply from the standpoint of making things easier to find.

In this thread, you did mention back in February that, had you known IPOA would morph into SPCE, you would not have bought it. (Not that it turned out badly, as SPCE returned generous short-term gains in spite of what some of us would consider to be Virgin Galactic's questionable future.) That's about all I could find, but maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Anybody know what's up with SPI? Seems like it's up 1250% on news that they are launching their own EV subsidiary. Extremely speculative might be the operating term here. :)

Also, are people still HODLing GP? Seems like the IPO was a nothing burger for the stock but definitely has potential. Down around 35% from the IPO price.

Anybody know what's up with SPI? Seems like it's up 1250% on news that they are launching their own EV subsidiary. Extremely speculative might be the operating term here. :)

Also, are people still HODLing GP? Seems like the IPO was a nothing burger for the stock but definitely has potential. Down around 35% from the IPO price.

Yep, I'm still holding GP (ouch). I had thought the NKLA rocket to the moon would do the same for GP, and I was wrong. THey still have solid fundamentals. I am really hoping for good quarterly report now.

Reactions: ggr
Meanwhile, price action for Novonix (silicon anode tech company using silicon nanowires):

upload_2020-9-23_11-6-32.png

• Informative
Reactions: aubreymcfato
Yep suspended now after a 3800% increase. It went from a low of 3.3 to 41.06

It is probably just a classic pump and dump. Some large stock holder put together a social media campaign to hit speculators which drove up the stock price on very little real news. Large stock holder cashes out into the volume. That kind of stuff used to happen in "boiler rooms" with dozens of pumpers using outbound phone calls. Nowadays, it's turbocharged using social media, twitter and the like.

Reactions: vikings123
Reactions: willow_hiller