Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is so much interest for this IPO. I would not be surprised to see this hit your target price tomorrow. Crazy valuation for sure but at least they seem to have a product that companies seem to want.

I actually know a client who uses Snowflake, hoping to talk to someone at this client this week to get a user’s perspective. Will report back with what I find out. Cheers.
Well, companies I work for know I don’t endorse products/service lightly or easily, but when it fits I endorse these guys frequently. For me, that is saying a lot.. now it doesn’t mean the stock is going to the moon, but for the $$ (it is pretty expensive, but compared to the combination of other services one would have to buy) the company is providing a pretty great product in the space that really does just work and allows companies to more easily manage disparate data sources, organize it, rationalize it, transform it, all in the cloud and then repurpose, combine or forward it on to other data consumers in the company fairly easily. That’s a big deal in my world.

• Informative
Reactions: vikings123
Well, companies I work for know I don’t endorse products/service lightly or easily, but when it fits I endorse these guys frequently. For me, that is saying a lot.. now it doesn’t mean the stock is going to the moon, but for the $$ (it is pretty expensive, but compared to the combination of other services one would have to buy) the company is providing a pretty great product in the space that really does just work and allows companies to more easily manage disparate data sources, organize it, rationalize it, transform it, all in the cloud and then repurpose, combine or forward it on to other data consumers in the company fairly easily. That’s a big deal in my world.

Interestingly enough they are expecting the IPO to open at 185-195$,

lol yep, I was just about to update my post. Crazy and you were looking for a 135$ exit. What is that like 125X sales?
I had moved that to $150 in the past 24 hours, but I'll take it.. so much for hoping to buy after initial IPO euphoria. I think there is a LOT of RETAIL trying to participate, but institutions are clearly selling out of high gain tech winners and moving money towards this at least for the game trade. I simply cannot justify it at this opening price at all.

*not a recommendation to buy or sell anything.

Reactions: vikings123
Be careful about selling IPO shares so quickly. My understanding (could be wrong) is that if you get allocated IPO shares, and then sell them right away, you'll be unlikely to get shares for the next hot IPO.
This is good advice and good for all to hear. It’s true to some extent for sure. Having done this for 25+ years, I know the risks, but frankly I couldn’t hold it once it hit the big round number. Using nearly every online broker and several direct accounts for various reasons, it enables to me to 1) make requests for IPO’s through several of them and 2) if I have to sell, put several IPO’s and years in between a quick flip and a LTH. I will most certainly re-enter this position with many multiples of what I got allotted in the IPO and frankly that is worth more to the broker I used to get allotment. I’m not really sure why I got any, frankly, I know people with accounts many multiples greater than mine at this one broker who got 0 allotment.. but maybe they hadn’t played nice with some of the other IPO’s this year. But I can take the conversation from that broker if he challenges me with selling a small position with a 2.5x return in ONE HOUR. I’ll cross that bridge if we get there.

Now, back to next target area. Hyrdrogen fuel cell companies.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile
This is good advice and good for all to hear. It’s true to some extent for sure. Having done this for 25+ years, I know the risks, but frankly I couldn’t hold it once it hit the big round number. Using nearly every online broker and several direct accounts for various reasons, it enables to me to 1) make requests for IPO’s through several of them and 2) if I have to sell, put several IPO’s and years in between a quick flip and a LTH. I will most certainly re-enter this position with many multiples of what I got allotted in the IPO and frankly that is worth more to the broker I used to get allotment. I’m not really sure why I got any, frankly, I know people with accounts many multiples greater than mine at this one broker who got 0 allotment.. but maybe they hadn’t played nice with some of the other IPO’s this year. But I can take the conversation from that broker if he challenges me with selling a small position with a 2.5x return in ONE HOUR. I’ll cross that bridge if we get there.

Which brokers give you access to IPOs?

• Helpful
Reactions: Green Pete
Has anyone researched Moderna? Market cap = $23Bn.

They are the only mRNA Covid vaccine out of 8 in phase 3 trials. Plus a fair bit in the pipeline.
Ark had an alternative to Moderna that had better cash flow and earnings potential based on the IPO pricing. They thought Moderna was way overpriced and less likely to deliver then the company they invested in.

If you want your cake and eat it too, you can sell in the money covered calls. You hold the stock for another year, get a premium on the price and if it falls by half, you can still be whole and beloved by the underwriter. With crazy volatility in something like Snowflake, you can probably get about $200 a share for $125 calls 18 months out. Get almost your full price and more then you put in and keep the stock.

• Helpful
Reactions: redan
If you want your cake and eat it too, you can sell in the money covered calls. You hold the stock for another year, get a premium on the price and if it falls by half, you can still be whole and beloved by the underwriter. With crazy volatility in something like Snowflake, you can probably get about $200 a share for $125 calls 18 months out. Get almost your full price and more then you put in and keep the stock.
This is a very good strategy, certainly for creating a long term holding in the underlying, either from a taxation standpoint or certainly from a CC writing standpoint over time (and where I get a significant amount of alpha in all my managed portfolios). Sadly, for an IPO there are basically no derivatives on the underlying for at least a week if not longer. There is a certain volume, history, some other elements that have to be in place before the derivatives market will even allow options to be available. So, sadly for an iPO if you like the number you've got to take the number (and the short term qualifying tax hit).. I'm okay with that in this and some other examples.

• Helpful
Reactions: redan
Sold my IPOB (Opendoor) shares today and rolled into IPOC with the idea it may be the vehicle to "acquire" Neuralink. Sound logic?

I figure either way I'm not really interested in the long-term Opendoor investment, so IPOC would be my next shot at either Neuralink or whatever Chamath feels is worthy of investment.

Sound rational?

• Informative
Sold my IPOB (Opendoor) shares today and rolled into IPOC with the idea it may be the vehicle to "acquire" Neuralink. Sound logic?

I figure either way I'm not really interested in the long-term Opendoor investment, so IPOC would be my next shot at either Neuralink or whatever Chamath feels is worthy of investment.

Sound rational?

I don't think Elon wants Neuralink public for the forseeable future

Sound rational?
I bet Neuralink won't go public for a very, very long time. It needs little capital (far less than SpaceX), can be easily monetized, need to be less exposed to Wall Street (it will connect to your brain, for f*ck's sake). Elon Musk probably hates Wall Street and would do everything now to avoid having his baby traded on the public market. Unless some ethical, very long term, non volatile, no derivative (etc) stock market emerges…

Sound rational?
I've owned IPOC since the IPO - looking forward to what it turns into. These Chamath SPACs are a little like Christmas - just unopened presents at first, and then when they announce the merger company...surprise!

• Informative
I've owned IPOC since the IPO - looking forward to what it turns into. These Chamath SPACs are a little like Christmas - just unopened presents at first, and then when they announce the merger company...surprise!
Yeah, I don't have much interest in anything other than acquiring TSLA on dips and shorting oil, but these I will be following.

Having them in order is great. I'll just hold IPOC until it's announced. If I like it I'll sit on it and if I don't I'll sell on the initial bump. It's like having Chamath Palihapitiya as your personal IPO vetting service.

Of all Elon's private companies, Neuralink is the farthest away from going public. Here are my guesses for which private companies will go public first:

1. Boring Company. Technology is almost proved out - I mean they have a ways to go, but the path to get to where they initially want to be is relatively low risk. They will need several billions of dollars to win the type of contracts they want to win and to execute on them. Boring won't be happy until they are building a true subway network for a city. Las Vegas's expansions will be their first system, but that'll be a learning city for them. Boring has the ability to blow everyone's socks off with regard to how mind blowingly good a transportation system can be. It is a better idea than hyperloop since it affects way more people (dense urban). The fact that Elon donated hyperloop to the public, but built a company for Boring, gives you an idea of what he thinks of the two concepts. Boring is the company I'd like to invest in because the path to profits is obvious and relatively quick, and there isn't much R&D needed (especially relative to these other two below).

2. SpaceX. Elon has said he won't take SpaceX public until they've met their Mars goals (whatever specifically that is). And certainly SpaceX hasn't had any problem raising private money. I wouldn't expect SpaceX to go public (and it would be a huge one if it did) until 2030 or even later.

3. Neuralink. You have to look at the goals for these companies to determine when it'll go public. It won't be when the company starts making money. That's not the criteria. It'll be when it has actually achieved its goal. Why? Consider Neuralink. They have a good chance at making therapies for various brain disorders, getting FDA approval and making profits from that. If you went public at that point, then the pressure would be to keep doing that and keep making money and specifically not spend tons of money on their real goal which is a man-machine interface to become a symbiosis with Artificial Intelligence machines. I don't even know what that means, and Elon himself probably only has a vague idea of what it means.

My guess is neuralink will be selling products in about five years (FDA approval isn't quick you know). AI interfaces? Yeah, 2030 or so if then.

Last edited: