Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my opinion, Chamath has the traits of a PHENOMENAL capital allocator.

Didn't know about Ark's trade, thanks for the heads up. I expect that position to rise as a proportion of ARKW. Seems to be a small data gap though, I see 2,117,599 shares (1.28% of the etf); https://ark-funds.com/wp-content/fu...EXT_GENERATION_INTERNET_ETF_ARKW_HOLDINGS.pdf

Eric Wu, seems to have what it takes as a founder CEO, and they have a pretty good C-suite team.

Real Estate really has ALOT of friction, so there is plenty of low hanging fruit. This is the first SPAC that I've invested in so there is some learning to do that front too.

perhaps it’s only yesterday's trade that they are referring to as making up their quoted % as of yesterday vs their total % of that holding.

definately agree that real estate is waaaay overdue for some serious disruption.

Does anyone have any opinions on IPOB? Just started doing some due diligence and find it interesting.

Real estate is definitely ripe for disruption.
Link to the deck:Investors | Opendoor

This is one where I decided to not follow.

Eric Wu's story of building a portfolio of 20 or so properties while in university is one of those brag stories I heard often. But upon inspecting the flow of money, doesn't add up. It was this foundation that built his later success stories.

But the success of Opendoor is not dependent on it. However, I don't like investing on founders with these type of stories. If enough ppl want something to happen and enough corp throws money at it, it will succeed (Depending on your definition of success. An IPO and exit where you get 1 bil is a success in many ppl's definition)

what do you think about getting in ZM or SQ since they are getting pounded right now?
I sold all my last SQ at 194$ and probably wouldn’t’ re-enter till we get closer to $160. For ZM, I’m going to re-buy if the nasdaq gets it down closer to $320. Mind you I bought at $67 and sold at $158-175, so my historical price action visibility here is poor...

Zoom, I don't see a future past the pandemic.
Why not? I was a Zoom investor not long after the IPO, well before the pandemic. Zoom's technology has performed quite admirably even when forced to scale far more rapidly than expected.

Even as many people return to the office, remote work is here to stay. Going forward, many business meetings that previously would have involved long-distance travel will take place through platforms like Zoom. This is a clear win for family life, by reducing the need for overnight travel, and for the climate, by reducing transportation-related emissions. While in-person meetings can have clear benefits over virtual meetings, not every meeting needs to be in person! Zoom also has benefits for personal use - the flexibility and quality are superior to FaceTime and Skype, for example.

ZM, of course, is a highly valued stock. It may well struggle for a while. But Zoom as a company seems to have a bright future.

Why not? I was a Zoom investor not long after the IPO, well before the pandemic. Zoom's technology has performed quite admirably even when forced to scale far more rapidly than expected.

Even as many people return to the office, remote work is here to stay. Going forward, many business meetings that previously would have involved long-distance travel will take place through platforms like Zoom. This is a clear win for family life, by reducing the need for overnight travel, and for the climate, by reducing transportation-related emissions. While in-person meetings can have clear benefits over virtual meetings, not every meeting needs to be in person! Zoom also has benefits for personal use - the flexibility and quality are superior to FaceTime and Skype, for example.

ZM, of course, is a highly valued stock. It may well struggle for a while. But Zoom as a company seems to have a bright future.

Cycles. I 've been through a previous cycle of remote work hype. Yes the company will have a viable business, but it won' t be at the pandemic level we see today.

Cycles. I 've been through a previous cycle of remote work hype. Yes the company will have a viable business, but it won' t be at the pandemic level we see today.
Remote work is much more viable today than years ago. It won't take over, but it'll be a larger fraction of the workforce than pre-Covid.

While Zoom's overall usage seems likely to drop as the pandemic ends, it seems reasonable to assume that a large fraction of the pandemic-only users are paying nothing or only a modest amount. Further, educational institutions, which are more likely to stop using Zoom once the Covid threat recedes, almost certainly aren't paying as much as commercial users. On the other hand, Zoom's platform offers long term benefits to geographically distributed corporations which are more likely to pay for upgraded service levels. Zoom also has opportunities to expand into tele-medicine.

Another point to consider is that, even with rapid urbanization underway in many areas, a huge fraction of the world's population lives in rural areas. Technology, including off-grid solar+battery systems, Starlink, cellular Internet service, remote work platforms, etc. can bring many of the benefits of urbanization to people who cannot, or would rather not, move. (And then there are those of us who happily moved out of cities and into small towns in rural areas.) Zoom is one of the enabling platforms/technologies that is already equalizing opportunities across geographic and political boundaries.

Reactions: Cosmacelf

I would agree most tech workers will not stay full time remote, however I am confident that most will push for WFH 2-3 days a week. Showing up to the office once or twice a week could be the new norm for a lot in tech. My guess is companies will still pay to use Zoom, just not as dependent on it as much as now.

Remote work is much more viable today than years ago. It won't take over, but it'll be a larger fraction of the workforce than pre-Covid.

While Zoom's overall usage seems likely to drop as the pandemic ends, it seems reasonable to assume that a large fraction of the pandemic-only users are paying nothing or only a modest amount. Further, educational institutions, which are more likely to stop using Zoom once the Covid threat recedes, almost certainly aren't paying as much as commercial users. On the other hand, Zoom's platform offers long term benefits to geographically distributed corporations which are more likely to pay for upgraded service levels. Zoom also has opportunities to expand into tele-medicine.

Another point to consider is that, even with rapid urbanization underway in many areas, a huge fraction of the world's population lives in rural areas. Technology, including off-grid solar+battery systems, Starlink, cellular Internet service, remote work platforms, etc. can bring many of the benefits of urbanization to people who cannot, or would rather not, move. (And then there are those of us who happily moved out of cities and into small towns in rural areas.) Zoom is one of the enabling platforms/technologies that is already equalizing opportunities across geographic and political boundaries.

You just reminded me to invest in tele medicine. If memory serves correctly, that sector is already over up by a startup. Now if I can only remember the name...

Speaking of telemedicine, we recently had a remote appointment with our primary physician, and the software they used, not Zoom or Teladoc, was really lousy. It annoyingly degraded in very un-graceful ways whenever there was the slightest hiccup in the connection. Had the appointment needed to continue much longer, I would have asked the doctor if we could jump into Zoom.

Looking forward, medicine is likely to become less tied to physical doctors' offices and to particular hospitals. Vital signs can increasingly be monitored from the home, and robotic surgeries (am aware of DaVinci machines by Intuitive Surgical - ISRG) are starting to be performed remotely. So, if you need surgery, it may in the future not be necessary to travel to a big-name hospital for the very best care. Instead, you'd consult with surgeons remotely, then check into a local hospital with the necessary surgical robot which would be operated by your top-notch surgeon from across the country.