Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Metals Company, which has an interesting ticker code: TMC, finished their merger with a SPAC this week and started trading under their own symbol. It went up sharply the first day, but came down today.
Home Page - The Metals Company

I consider it a long term hold. It's going to be a few years until they are producing ore, but they have a novel approach to harvest almost pure metal nodules off the sea floor. The nodules are about the size of a softball and are rich in the metals needed for rechargeable batteries.

The Nixon administration tried to get access to them, but the UN wouldn't let them (international waters). The UN has since worked out a system for the rights to wealth in international waters and TMC has secured the mining rights.

Start up ventures do fail, but they do have the rights to mine some of the easiest to refine ore in high demand today. If they succeed, this will probably be worth a fair bit in 5-10 years.

The Metals Company, which has an interesting ticker code: TMC, finished their merger with a SPAC this week and started trading under their own symbol. It went up sharply the first day, but came down today.

I consider it a long term hold. It's going to be a few years until they are producing ore, but they have a novel approach to harvest almost pure metal nodules off the sea floor. The nodules are about the size of a softball and are rich in the metals needed for rechargeable batteries.

The Nixon administration tried to get access to them, but the UN wouldn't let them (international waters). The UN has since worked out a system for the rights to wealth in international waters and TMC has secured the mining rights.

Start up ventures do fail, but they do have the rights to mine some of the easiest to refine ore in high demand today. If they succeed, this will probably be worth a fair bit in 5-10 years.
I've been waiting months for the IPO and missed it....hahaha. I plan on buying some tomorrow.

I've been waiting months for the IPO and missed it....hahaha. I plan on buying some tomorrow.

I bought the SPAC a few months ago. I was up something like $3 a share at the end of the day, but it dropped a fair bit today, I think about $1.50. I figure this is going to be one of those investments that languishes for a while. If it goes down more I might buy a bit more.

A lot of retail investors want the quick kill, which is one reason meme stocks can take off. Emerging tech can be very volatile and they usually don't become profitable for a long time, but if you make the right picks early they really pay off. I don't see another Tesla or Google in the mix right now, but there are stocks like this that still have some good potential upside if you're willing to be patient.

Reactions: ggies07
I bought the SPAC a few months ago. I was up something like $3 a share at the end of the day, but it dropped a fair bit today, I think about $1.50. I figure this is going to be one of those investments that languishes for a while. If it goes down more I might buy a bit more.

A lot of retail investors want the quick kill, which is one reason meme stocks can take off. Emerging tech can be very volatile and they usually don't become profitable for a long time, but if you make the right picks early they really pay off. I don't see another Tesla or Google in the mix right now, but there are stocks like this that still have some good potential upside if you're willing to be patient.
Yeah, I'm in it for the long haul....at least 5-10 years. I invested in Tesla in 2012, knowing it would take awhile, and now I'm trying to look down stream at the resource side. Love the resource thread on here.

May be of interest to some of you guys - investing in SpaceX is becoming feasible, maybe via
About — First Principles Group

Seen on Twitter via

Sawyer Merritt @SawyerMerritt

For a few months now I've been a part of a group called the First Principles Group. It's a community of 200+ passionate SpaceX fans. We hope for access into being able to invest in the next round of SpaceX. Follow our twitter account
@1stPrinciplesGp
SpaceX private shares have been available on private equity broker sites like MicroVentures. Just go sign up with all these brokers and when there are shares available you will get notified. I got mine through MicroVentures.

Edit: they get filled up pretty fast - usually only last a day or so.

Yeah, I'm in it for the long haul....at least 5-10 years. I invested in Tesla in 2012, knowing it would take awhile, and now I'm trying to look down stream at the resource side. Love the resource thread on here.

I was looking at their website, its pretty vague and sparse. Do they have a system designed and ready to go to harvest the seafloor or do they need to build that?

I was looking at their website, its pretty vague and sparse. Do they have a system designed and ready to go to harvest the seafloor or do they need to build that?
From what I remember, ironically they have had help from some in the oil and gas industry on their scooping technology and they seem confident in there abilities.....so that was reassuring....now this could all not work out in the end, but I'm willing to take a leap if it's better for the environment and a more efficient process.

More info - From recent September investor call:

https://investors.metals.co/static-files/5b1f32a4-58cf-4a68-be1e-c0e3489c3335

I also want to highlight that this is proven technology. The images on this slide show the successful pilot nodule mining work performed in the CCZ by a number of US consortia in the 1970s. Several thousand tons of nodules were successfully recovered and the technology was fully validated by some impressive names on this page, Lockheed Martin, Kennecott, now part of Rio Tinto, BP, Shell, Mitsubishi.

Our collective system will be more advanced and efficient, but the basic principles were proven 50 years ago. As I noted earlier, we have the ability to ship the nodules anywhere for processing, and we intend to produce them in a way that generates zero toxic tailings and zero solid waste. This really opens up the possibilities in terms of processing locations, including many developed nations that are finally focusing on supply chain security and energy independence with respect to critical battery metals.

They also have an updated presentation slideshow as well on the Investors page....

After a drop today, it seems to be moving up in AH significantly today. (AH is currently up ~18%.)

I had meant to buy some today, but got busy dealing with other things, so I thought I might try in after-market... But it is moving too fast for me to jump in now.

Is there any specific news that you are aware of?

edit: now ~27%

Last edited:
27% - must be a glitch - the pattern certainly is different from the wild Monday/ Tuesday ones - the next few days are "anything goes", check out Papafox's take Papafox's Daily TSLA Trading Charts

View attachment 709794
I think you are missing that I am talking about the stock ticker TMC (The Metals Company) not Tesla.

1631746948964.png

I watched a long interview with the founder. They have done the proof of concept and have a technique that works. They are also concerned about the damage to the sea floor so they did a test and went back later to see how the environment was doing. It's a part of the ocean with little life in it, the sea floor is barren, but they were still concerned about environmental damage. Thy found the environment went back to pre-mining state fairly quickly with dramatic improvement in only a year.

They are working with the premiere oil service company Schlumberger to develop the equipment. They aren't ready to start mining tomorrow, but they are close to being able to launch mining operations. The money from the IPO is going into scaling up the proof of concept into a full commercial mining operation.

I'm glad to see Schlumberger branching out. They are a very innovative company that has pioneered a lot of technology that has advanced Geology quite a bit. My sister was a petroleum Geologist and her specialty was examining the data collected by the service companies like Schlumberger and determining where the remaining oil was. She has always spoken highly of Schlumberger. They had the best quality equipment and the highest quality data.

eVTOL -- Lilium went public via a SPAC this week
Looks to be a busy market with Joby and Archer Aviation also going public in the last month via SPAC