Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uber's ex-CEO sold a *sugar*-load of shares after IPO post-freeze.
Went Contrarian and bought some Shares, Sold Covered-Calls and Sold Puts as well ... during amatuer hour today ... ~ Cheers!!

Setup: In .. $25, Out $35

Last edited:
What’s exciting about video conferencing?

well they’ve essentially “won” video conferencing. What that means for their future stock price I can’t tell you.

I’m very surprised to hear apparent rising numbers for Microsoft teams usage. From what I see in my field, slack is still highly preferred. I was in the belief that slack had “won” chat, and of course their stock has tanked :) These IPO valuations lately have been so crazy high.

It still seems to be we should again see some pricing pressure in lithium battery related materials within the next few years. The sector grew too fast too early causing oversupply without many EVs coming online soon enough. But I’m still a believer in the lithium battery stocks in the long term.

damn Tesla being too good causing people to not want other EVs :)

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
well they’ve essentially “won” video conferencing. What that means for their future stock price I can’t tell you.

Exactly. I just wonder where videoconferencing is going. We've literally had it for the last 30 years in business, and for the last five years or so for personal use through Facetime and the equivalent on smartphones. No one uses it. Or at least, not much. Maybe the facetime generation will grow up and THIS time, this time, people will start supplanting business travel with videoconferencing. Are there any signs of that actually happening?

I’m very surprised to hear apparent rising numbers for Microsoft teams usage. From what I see in my field, slack is still highly preferred. I was in the belief that slack had “won” chat, and of course their stock has tanked :) These IPO valuations lately have been so crazy high.

Slack has its problems, it isn't perfect. Just read any head to head review of Teams and Slack.

The fact that Slack didn't do a traditional IPO has not helped AT ALL.

It still seems to be we should again see some pricing pressure in lithium battery related materials within the next few years. The sector grew too fast too early causing oversupply without many EVs coming online soon enough. But I’m still a believer in the lithium battery stocks in the long term.

damn Tesla being too good causing people to not want other EVs :)

We may well see that, but your guess is as good as mine for when the rest of the industry will be able to match Tesla, let alone beat them. To me, it looks like none of the competitors has a hope in the next few years to match Tesla's battery volume, and Tesla was/is smart enough to get long term supply contracts on commodities.

BTW, when you buy Lithium mine stocks, now you are essentially paying the commodities investing game. It is its own investment category, and has very little commonality with tech investing. I'd suggest learning about commodity investing and mining companies before doing so.

I don't know much about it, but I would guess key stock price drivers for any mine are: world economics, specific geology/characteristics of the mines (or salt flats in the case of Lithium), execution smarts of management, characteristics of long term supply agreements, proximity to customers, etc. All pretty boring stuff to research but pretty essential.

No one uses it.

Here in the center of the world for tech, the hyperbole is completely the opposite. Almost any meeting that isn’t a tag-up of people co-located in the same work area has a Zoom/Webex/Hangouts/etc, regardless if it’s suppliers/customers from across the globe or coworkers located in a building across the street.

Obviously nothing will ever fully replace a f2f, but the efficiency goes well beyond business travel.

Whether Zoom and Slack [as the new webex/jabber] will have staying power, time will tell.

Here in the center of the world for tech, the hyperbole is completely the opposite. Almost any meeting that isn’t a tag-up of people co-located in the same work area has a Zoom/Webex/Hangouts/etc, regardless if it’s suppliers/customers from across the globe or coworkers located in a building across the street.

Obviously nothing will ever fully replace a f2f, but the efficiency goes well beyond business travel.

Whether Zoom and Slack [as the new webex/jabber] will have staying power, time will tell.
We’ve cut travel significantly with video conferencing.

Couldn't think of a better thread to ask this question in, so my apologies if ETFs are considered off topic.

I want to buy more TSLA, but my wife wants our portfolio to be a little more diversified. At the same time, I cannot think of an industry that will be more disrupted (for the better) than transit by EVs and autonomous vehicles.

I've been looking at KraneShares Electric Vehicles & Future Mobility Index ETF (KARS), ARK Innovation ETF (ARKK), and Global X Autonomous & Electric Vehicles ETF (DRIV).

Of all the three, I like that DRIV seems to pay a dividend, but I dislike that AAPL is their largest holding, since I think at this point it's pretty irrelevant to EVs/autonomy. Also, both DRIV and KARS seem pretty heavily invested in traditional automakers, which I think will experience some financial pains in the near future due to the transition to EVs. And ARKK seems promising, but it's probably the least diversified from TSLA as an ETF can get.

Would you all buy into some of these ETFs for diversification if you were in my situation? Or would you buy outside the sector entirely?

• Informative
Reactions: aubreymcfato
And ARKK seems promising, but it's probably the least diversified from TSLA as an ETF can get.
ARKK isn't generally going to hold more than about 10-15% of its assets in TSLA. If you and your wife want to buy ARKK and really don't want to increase your overall TSLA position, then you could sell enough of your TSLA shares to balance out what you'd be buying indirectly through ARKK.

I'm no fan of investing in traditional automakers as a play on EVs and autonomy. You could buy shares in Intel and Alphabet to gain exposure to MobilEye and Waymo, respectively, but that exposure would be pretty diluted.

Im actually surprised more people haven't mentioned square ($SQ) in this thread. TSLA is Ark's favorite stock, however, square is second in terms of position size in multiple etf's they manage.

The fintech sector has a lot going on right now. Banking the unbanked and piggy backing on cryto currencies with the cash app (digital wallet), is definitely something to watch Square try to execute on.

Curious to see if anyone's done any DD on it?

Here are a couple related industry primers for anyone interested.
The-future-history-payments-how-world-is-moving-away-from-cash -18.pdf
World-Payments-Report-2018.pdf

Attachments

• The-future-history-payments-how-world-is-moving-away-from-cash -18.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 121
  • World-Payments-Report-2018.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 103