Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Off topic post

I wouldn't stay long in FaceBook. Young people are not using Facebook much anymore. It's mostly the Gen X and older crowd. I think FaceBook will decline over the next 10 years.

Further off-topic: you’re right about Facebook, but FB also owns Instagram, which is as popular—if not more so— among high school students as Snapchat. While Facebook will be a slow-growing cash cow going forward, Instagram should have strong growth.

Further off-topic: you’re right about Facebook, but FB also owns Instagram, which is as popular—if not more so— among high school students as Snapchat. While Facebook will be a slow-growing cash cow going forward, Instagram should have strong growth.

BTW, I don’t own any FB nor am I advocating for it. Just noting that, without Instagram (and maybe Oculus Rift) its future would look pretty bad. With IG, future success is at least plausible.

• Helpful
Reactions: Starno and EinSV
If you haven't already, this is very worthwhile interview where Chamath Palihapitiya discusses TSLA, AMZN, FB, NVDA, Bitcoin, among other things:
Former Facebook exec expresses concern over social media

My two cents:

TSLA and AMZN - Both companies took a long time to build which means their moat is strong and keeps getting stronger. Also the product/experience they offer is far beyond any other company can offer.

FB - Instagram is built around the same model as Facebook of hacking human psychology to create an addiction and draining as much of users' time on the app as possible. It is already causing disdain (as opposed to delight) among its users even as it continues to grow. Not something I want to get behind over the very long term.

NVDA - It is riding several strong trends including AI, cryptocurrency, gaming. It could have more room to run in the near term, but longer term, I don't see its moat being as strong as TSLA or AMZN. Google and a few startups have started to create competitive hardware. Tesla is starting to make their own chips. Amazon/Google has pricing power as mentioned by Chamath.

• Helpful
Reactions: arcus and EinSV
SOXL (8% NVDA) has run 13.7% in 2018. I sold before the bell today based on technicals. I will be back, soon. :p I believe in the continuing strength of semis. I just don’t believe in buying an holding a 3x ETF...

CWEB (exposure to Tencent, BABA, BIDU, etc) had a good December too. I bought on 12/11 and am 17% green. Technicals say sell, but since I have a much smaller position than SOXL above I’m letting it ride on a tight trailing loss. I’m also in the same boat with EDC (emerging markets—a lot of overlap with CWEB)...21% since 12/5. Once those two sell off I plan to stick with playing EDC, since it has higher volume and net assets.

Lastly, while not tech, it’s super fun to play the opposing sine waves of DRN and DRV.

I get TSLA & AMZN, but I don’t get FB.

People are spending tons of time on their smartphone and it's not going to decrease, quite the contrary.
And on their smartphone, data says that social medias is the majority of the time spent.
Facebook owns Instagram. The 2 most powerful social medias.

Basic gist of it : Social media is the slang term for current state of the internet. Facebook is at the top, and given recent actions they're there to stay (Instagram stories killed Snapchat growth, and snapchat was most the important competitor).

People are spending tons of time on their smartphone and it's not going to decrease, quite the contrary.
And on their smartphone, data says that social medias is the majority of the time spent.
Facebook owns Instagram. The 2 most powerful social medias.

Basic gist of it : Social media is the slang term for current state of the internet. Facebook is at the top, and given recent actions they're there to stay (Instagram stories killed Snapchat growth, and snapchat was most the important competitor).

Agree. FB prints money. A Great investment

Albemarle is not a tech stock, but is related to Tesla's needs as a miner of lithium.

Benzinga - this morning: Baird: Albermarle (NYSE:ALB) Is The Best Lithium Cycle Play

Baird sees the following as catalysts that could drive Albermarle shares higher:
  • Upcoming auto shows displaying new EVs.
  • Potential auto OEM announcements regarding electrification.
  • The ongoing ramp of Tesla Inc TSLA 5.34% Model 3.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Have you guys considered SQ (Square Inc)? I've managed to ride a little bit of their wave last quarter and sold right before it went back down, but it's going up again for no apparent reason.

Ditto on Square. I've been watching them for a while. Initially they were up against paypal targeting the person who needed a mobile payment app for their garage sale, etc. They have in the last few years been able to make inroads into the brick and mortar business and are taking the lead.

I have no specific recommendations, but my general projection is that society will see radical changes in the next decade or so, in the following areas:

Computing Systems and Automation
Energy Systems
Bioengineering

Tesla covers the Energy Systems angle (EVs and Stationary Storage), and some of Computing Systems/Automation (Autopilot, Alien Dreadnought). BOTZ covers Computing Systems and Automation.

As to the last category, this would include companies that specialize in technologies related to Genetic Engineering, Bio-Machine interfaces like Neuralink, and other stuff like cybernetic implants and replacement synthetic organs.

What separates humans from other life on Earth is the degree to which the human species manipulates and alters the surrounding environment. The last stage is engineering ourselves.

Reactions: SBenson
That's a nice peaceful curve, probably boring for traders, but long term investors must be sleeping pretty well ...

Capture d’écran 2018-01-25 à 16.05.03.png