Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Romeo power is merging with the RMG SPAC. Ticker symbol is changing today to RMO. I expect there will be a lot of activity if you are into day trading.

They could also (possibly) be a good play in the EV market if you want to hold but I don't know enough about them to give that kind of advice so I suggest you look into it yourself before making any decisions about it. Looks like they are mostly into EV truck battery packs.

Romeo Power
Interesting but nothing spectacular. Just 2170 based modules with minimal packaging, their 208Wh/kg claim is a bit misleading since that's module level not pack level. I see the stock has already almost tripled since Nov. SPAC fever.

• Informative
Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
Interesting but nothing spectacular. Just 2170 based modules with minimal packaging, their 208Wh/kg claim is a bit misleading since that's module level not pack level. I see the stock has already almost tripled since Nov. SPAC fever.

I was mostly in it for the quick 15% this morning. Might buy in again if it dips. There is always some $$ to be made (or lost) with these mergers though sometimes I end up on the wrong end of things... fortunately today I was not.

For the first time in many years, (gasp!) I diversified a bit. I joined the crowd and bought ARKG earlier today.

My own thesis is this:

Wars historically bring leaps in technology. For example, radar, jet planes, rocketry advances and more came out of WWII. This is due to a life-and-death urgency combined with epic spending.

Today there is a global war on the pandemic accompanied by just such urgency and spending in medical, biotech and related areas. I expect great strides in these areas and specifically want exposure to these areas in my portfolio.

However, I don’t have anything like the knowledge I brought to my TSLA investment when it comes to medical and biotech. I am aware how challenging biotech has been for VC’s. Since the thinking at ARK aligns with my own on the things I do know, I’m willing to go with them on the things I don’t.

So, I’m content to let ARKG ferret out and evaluate the genomic opportunities and to compensate them for doing so.

Not exactly what you’re asking, but it’s how I think about it.

I just did the same. Was going to try to diversify by 20 per cent, so take TSLA down to 79 per cent (already 1 per cent diversified) . All I could manage was diversifying another 0.6 per cent. So not all in, just 98.4 per cent in. Harder than I thought.

Reactions: capster
I just did the same. Was going to try to diversify by 20 per cent, so take TSLA down to 79 per cent (already 1 per cent diversified) . All I could manage was diversifying another 0.6 per cent. So not all in, just 98.4 per cent in. Harder than I thought.
It’s a small fraction for me too. It’s the thought that counts, right? :)

Funny thing. This purchase was in a Vanguard account. I’ve only two accounts with them which are otherwise all TSLA and some cash. Vanguard pinged me asking me to fill in my profile with my annual income and total liquid net worth. :confused:

lol. As if.

I wonder if their data mining of their customers’ portfolios is picking up a TSLA/ARK(K, G, ...) correlation that perplexes them.

My wife has a B.Sc. in biology, an M.Sc. in Computer Science, and a J.D. She is terrified of investing. Recently came into a non-trivial inheritance. I pointed her to the various ARK funds, so of course she invested in ARKG. Yesterday. I had to talk her off a ledge this morning; it was exactly mirroring an experience she had with an IRA that her father told her to invest in something-or-other. S-O-O tanked, permanently. I really hope that doesn't happen to ARKG.
@ggr
spouse has pHd in Molec Bio 95, GWU
sequenced, by hand ~46,000 base pairs, both ways. gluco cerebro cidase, gauchers syndrome
took ~5 years by hand, X-ray film, then a ruler ACGT, hand wrote, next BP
now can be done (well, actually a few yrs ago) in an afternoon, automated.
bldg 45, basement NIH. (fun place to work, btw)
we have a bunch of TWST, ARKG, ARKK, TSLA. few others.
watched biotech boom & bust, now it's more mature.
the whiz kids working for ARK seem to know their stuff so we let them do heavy mental lifting

Last edited:
Elon states that manufacturing is critically important to Tesla, and he implies, to many other industries. The theory being that if you can make the same widget cheaper and better than your competition through advanced manufacturing, you win. Obviously, Tesla has other strategies in place too, like design innovations.

The reason I bring this up is Apple. They seem content just managing their manufacturing partners, relying on their brand, ecosystem, design innovations, etc. Which is a kinda Warren Buffet way of viewing the world. Their iPhone ecosystem is very powerful and quite the moat. But not doing any manufacturing themselves seems to me like a long term problem for Apple, which is one reason why I haven't recently invested in them. Thoughts?

BTW, while I like GP for the medium term, they will have to improve their strategy for me to continuing liking them long term. They do own their manufacturing plants and manufacture their vehicles in house (plus), but they don't own much advanced technology that goes into them. For their industry, I don't think it matters for the next year or more, but it bears watching.

Thanks for the call on GP! 1.5x their daily volume in the closing cross and up 13%

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmacelf
Nice to see this thread picking up some momentum now that people are looking for more things to get into.

I've recently added some LMND on that day it dropped before IPO lockout expiration. I also picked up some SQ, I have some ABNB now because my cousin wanted me to go in with her on it :rolleyes: and I'm committed to holding this ABML because I need something that moves minimum 10% per day and that one is it for Mad Max volatility rating.

I've been holding U for awhile now and it's up 80% since I got into it although I only have a small position. I am probably going to be adding to U because if you've never heard of Unity Engine, it's the engine that powers most mobile games and VR experiences.

For the first time in many years, (gasp!) I diversified a bit. I joined the crowd and bought ARKG earlier today.

My own thesis is this:

Wars historically bring leaps in technology. For example, radar, jet planes, rocketry advances and more came out of WWII. This is due to a life-and-death urgency combined with epic spending.

Today there is a global war on the pandemic accompanied by just such urgency and spending in medical, biotech and related areas. I expect great strides in these areas and specifically want exposure to these areas in my portfolio.

However, I don’t have anything like the knowledge I brought to my TSLA investment when it comes to medical and biotech. I am aware how challenging biotech has been for VC’s. Since the thinking at ARK aligns with my own on the things I do know, I’m willing to go with them on the things I don’t.

So, I’m content to let ARKG ferret out and evaluate the genomic opportunities and to compensate them for doing so.

Not exactly what you’re asking, but it’s how I think about it.

Gene therapy is very much a future within reach in 20 years or less. The Corvid vaccine race has dramatically accelerated research into the methods of delivering genes directly to our bodies, although the current mRNA vaccines do not actually reach our genomes and directly edit them, they are the start of something very big. Even without accessing the nucleus of the cell and modifying our genetic code, with mRNA targeted therapy we can already begin to treat conditions such as sickle-cell anemia and multiple sclerosis. Once we have the ability to directly edit our genomes, then cancer can be completely eliminated because we can literally just overwrite the oncogenes for every cancer we know the genetic markers for such as breast cancer, prostate cancer, and pancreatic cancer.

We already have a general concept of how biological aging works at a genetic level, so gene therapy will allow us to completely stop and even reverse biological aging. Whether this can be used to extend human lifespan indefinitely is unknown, but at least we'll be able to stop cognitive and physical decline and thus hypothetically be able to live as 20-30 years old adults right until the moment of death. Imagine being able to remain exactly as you are/were as a young adult into your 80's and 90's, maybe you won't be able to live forever but at least you'll be able to be young until your time ends.

All this is possible with gene therapy and it will happen within most of our lifetimes.

I've recently added some LMND on that day it dropped before IPO lockout expiration.
I did too, and this is the second time I've held LMND. Honestly, I'm not comfortable owning LMND. This is one of those stock that scream "BUBBLE" at me.

My thought process for owning LMND is Dave is smarter than me, he dives way deeper than I do, and he likes it. Dave, I know you hate that, so if you read this, sorry. When I do my own, shallow dive, I see the company has a negative book value, their revenue growth isn't that high and I just don't see any kind of mote. I actually see a better case for Tesla insurance since Tesla will have video evidence of every incident, their cars are a lot less likely to be in an accident, and the occupants are a lot safer than most. All things considered, I'm a weak long with LMND. It's worked out so far.

I did too, and this is the second time I've held LMND. Honestly, I'm not comfortable owning LMND. This is one of those stock that scream "BUBBLE" at me.

My thought process for owning LMND is Dave is smarter than me, he dives way deeper than I do, and he likes it. Dave, I know you hate that, so if you read this, sorry. When I do my own, shallow dive, I see the company has a negative book value, their revenue growth isn't that high and I just don't see any kind of mote. I actually see a better case for Tesla insurance since Tesla will have video evidence of every incident, their cars are a lot less likely to be in an accident, and the occupants are a lot safer than most. All things considered, I'm a weak long with LMND. It's worked out so far.

Curious if you may be more interested in Metromile as an alternative then. The auto insurance market, to me, is the most clearly disruptable piece of insurance due to the data advantage attainable by plugging into internet-connected vehicles. Tesla insurance can't take over the whole insurance market, someone else will capture a large share. Metromile has more profitable unit economics than other insurtech startups.

I think Lemonade has a decent chance to work out in a big way, but it isn't as clear of a path.

Curious if you may be more interested in Metromile as an alternative then. The auto insurance market, to me, is the most clearly disruptable piece of insurance due to the data advantage attainable by plugging into internet-connected vehicles. Tesla insurance can't take over the whole insurance market, someone else will capture a large share. Metromile has more profitable unit economics than other insurtech startups.

I think Lemonade has a decent chance to work out in a big way, but it isn't as clear of a path.
I don't see how to invest in them. I do like the pay per mile angle.

So NOVAX (actually, no vaccine ever) has finally announced stage 3 trial in US for their vaccine for Covid. Stage 3 is where results normally fall apart for them (RSV, Bird flu, I think others). If data for stage 2 worked, wouldn't the leaders have held on, perhaps even kept quiet and bought more? Is todays bearish action a sell the news kind of thing? is the US feeling hope in the midst of ever broadcast pandemic? Symbol NVAX, you can guess what side of the trade I am on. My motives are not pure, bashing them as I have.
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pick as a way to short the stock? I was looking at it and the option prices are high enough that buying a PUT seemed prohibitively expensive. It'd have to really tank to make any decent ROI. I won't directly short a stock, could be catastrophic if the trials actually go well or some merger is announced or something. I could sell a call, but same issue there. I looked at selling a vertical call, but the gap isn't large enough to make that compelling either.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pick as a way to short the stock? I was looking at it and the option prices are high enough that buying a PUT seemed prohibitively expensive. It'd have to really tank to make any decent ROI. I won't directly short a stock, could be catastrophic if the trials actually go well or some merger is announced or something. I could sell a call, but same issue there. I looked at selling a vertical call, but the gap isn't large enough to make that compelling either.

I initially bought four different OOM puts mistakenly. I rarely by puts, prefer my options to be ITM. I sold off near 2021 puts, keeping my 2022 and 2023 puts.

I initially bought four different OOM puts mistakenly. I rarely by puts, prefer my options to be ITM. I sold off near 2021 puts, keeping my 2022 and 2023 puts.
Thanks. I looked at longer puts, but the premium is so high I'm not sure how you make anything. For example, $90 2023 puts cost $40 each! That's really capping the upside with a premium that high. :(

Thanks. I looked at longer puts, but the premium is so high I'm not sure how you make anything. For example, $90 2023 puts cost $40 each! That's really capping the upside with a premium that high. :(

Shares are also available to short for a fee. Price is a bit lower then when I posted.
I think one can make an argument that even with the "50M vaccine dose order" they have that this is way overvalued.
If St2 trial worked they would have bought, not sold.
They are way behind everyone else.
They can't manufacture themselves.
They have to contract the work out, and my guess is there is a lot of higher end contract places already doing work.
Their old head of accounting left.
They really have nothing to sell except for an "adjuvant" that has never worked for them in a st 3 trial
Company opinion on glass door makes it seem like the emperors where no clothes.
We already have 3 working vaccines and increased positive cases.
Covid gonna blow over soon with herd immunity.
By which time NOVAX will be also ran.

I would recommend keeping an eye on NGA (Northern Genesis Aquisition Corp). As I understand it Lion Electric, rather than doing an IPO, is going to merge with NGA. Supposed to be Q1 2021. Lion mostly makes electric school buses and are supposedly a big player in that market. They have plans to expand into the U.S. market and have already supplied to some school districts. What makes it interesting to me, in addition to what they have already done and have planned, is that Amazon has bought some electric trucks from them. Only 10 for now but they upside potential with Amazon is off the charts.

Read up before you invest. They are doing a PIPE sale at $10 to raise 200mil and the current value of NGA shares is about $17.50 so there may be some funny moves initially if the shorts get involved. I'm not smart enough with these things to understand all of the implications.

TLDR: Currently NGA, will merge with Lion Electric Q1 2021 and be LEV on NYSE. Makes electric buses and trucks. Decent presence already in that arena with plans to grow. Sold some trucks to amazon, could be a foot in the door for big future deals.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3