Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It all depends on the economics. I don't think they've proven they can extract and refine industrial quantity metals at economic prices yet.
The refining process should be pretty straight forward. Nodules are nearly pure metals, a combination of Mn, Co, Ni and Cu IIRC. So it's just a matter of separating those different elements. No refining and concentrating from low-concentration ore, nearly all the nodule has commercial value. Now, rather the extraction can be done cost effectively is a good question. Several miles deep-but they are just sitting on the ocean floor. Hoping they make a deal with TSLA.

They recently got approval (FINALLY!) from the International Seabed Authority to start experimental harvesting in the Clarion Clipperton Zone.

The refining process should be pretty straight forward. Nodules are nearly pure metals, a combination of Mn, Co, Ni and Cu IIRC. So it's just a matter of separating those different elements. No refining and concentrating from low-concentration ore, nearly all the nodule has commercial value. Now, rather the extraction can be done cost effectively is a good question. Several miles deep-but they are just sitting on the ocean floor. Hoping they make a deal with TSLA.

They recently got approval (FINALLY!) from the International Seabed Authority to start experimental harvesting in the Clarion Clipperton Zone.
Is it industrial level quantities?

Is it industrial level quantities?
That I don't know-information hasn't been real readily available. It may be a "proof of concept" study, not commercial levels of extraction. ISA has been a joke, taking decades to move forward.

eta: TMC July -- August Corporate Update

Looks like it's a pilot test

• The completion of the ISA’s review of the Collector Test Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) paves the way for TMC subsidiary, Nauru Ocean Resources Inc (NORI), to conduct its planned pilot collection system trials on its NORI-D exploration area in the Clarion Clipperton Zone of the Pacific Ocean beginning later this month.
  • An integral part of the ISA’s regulatory and permitting process, the trials will be monitored by independent scientists from a dozen leading research institutions, providing critical environmental impact data to inform NORI’s application to the ISA for an exploitation contract.
  • Upcoming integrated nodule collection system trials will mark the first such trials to be conducted in the CCZ since the 1970s.

Last edited:
The so called SPAC King, Chamath Palihapitiya of Social Capital, is terminating two of his remaining SPACs and returning investor money just before the 2 year deadline. He was unable to find companies to merge with that investors would support. Personally, I've always thought SPACs were yet another barely legal way of circumventing investor protections, not much better than pump and dump operations.

The so called SPAC King, Chamath Palihapitiya of Social Capital, is terminating two of his remaining SPACs and returning investor money just before the 2 year deadline. He was unable to find companies to merge with that investors would support. Personally, I've always thought SPACs were yet another barely legal way of circumventing investor protections, not much better than pump and dump operations.

Not surprised, many of his SPAC "performance" tweets didn't age well. His 10x idea - OPEN - just dropped into the $3 range. Maybe he meant 1/10x...

Reactions: CLK350
The main investors thread asked for me other stocks I'm rotating into, so here's the list and short thesis for each. Again, I still love TSLA, but I think the 10x days are gone or less likely, so I'd rather diversify. For those that have unwavering conviction relative to the market or other companies, I salute you.
GOOGL - adtech/cloud, cheap for its growth, strong moat
BX/KKR - best in bread PE/RE firms, compelling valuations, large "permanent capital" bases
EPD - NGL/oil/petrochem midstream, 7.5% yield plus 5%+ FCF growth, oil price agnostic
TMO - life sciences play, decent growth, strong mgmt team
MSFT - platform moat, some cloud + M&A, still growing, trades at sub-20 P/E now
PERI - small cap adtech co growing like crazy, great mgmt team
BLDR - central stop for building materials, bet on homebuilding supercycle

Right thread, I'm just thinking it doesn't make sense for Elon to buy it/ merge with Twitter.
from Alexandra's article:

"Shift4 handles mainly payments for a third of America's restaurants and hotels. But not only. When I pay my monthly Starlink subscription, it’s processed by Shift4 Payments.

Shift4 announced today a new online payments platform, with enhanced eCommerce capabilities. The press release reads “… easily create a customizable checkout form that can be embedded on any page of a website using just a few lines of code. This form features an intuitive and mobile-friendly UI supporting 24 languages, 160+ currencies and all major card types. It also supports a wide range of payment scenarios, including one-time payments, recurring payments and subscriptions, hybrid billing models with both one-time fees and subscription costs, and variable billing for pay-per-use or pay-per-user business models. The platform also includes smart anti-fraud tools to prevent fraudulent transactions and protect businesses from chargebacks.”

Shift4’s market cap is today just shy of $4bn, in three different share classes.

Why do I talk all this time about Shift4? Because it could just be the missing puzzle piece in my search for an answer to the question why Elon has been selling these past days at least $4bn of Tesla shares. Sold at a ridiculously low price. Of course he can do with his money what he wants, and as a shareholder I know that whilst this may create short term pressure on $TSLA, this usually does not last. But I want to understand whether there is more to come or whether this has a specific purpose."

Any thoughts to the idea that Elon may look into buying out Shift4? The CEO/founder was on the SpaceX flight. Alexandra Merz did a write up about it. Completely speculative.

I think it is very plausible. I happen to own FOUR which I bought last year, it is currently down 6% from my purchase price. I bought it because payment processing is a very sticky business, especially the way Shift4 implements it. And Jared is a great CEO, very much similar to Elon in the way he thinks about business, except with a lot more person skills.

I think it is very likely Twitter will lean on Shift4 to do payment processing, at least in the short term. Whether they’ll buy Shift4 is more speculative. But yeah, the timing of creating Twitter Payments LLC is interesting. It does sound like a vehicle that Elon would solely own. And Elon and Jared are by now best buddies. So, hmmm…

But the next question is will Twitter be around in six months? There are some serious problems with the company since Elon took over. They are hemorrhaging staff to a point that some of the people who left said the people who do basic maintenance on the hardware are gone. The people who know the software are mostly gone, replaced by Tesla programmers who know nothing about Twitters software and only know the software for a different business.

Advertisers are holding off signing contracts for next year.

Many regular users of Twitter are looking at other platforms. Jack Dorsey has a new social media app that is in beta.

Elon is probably going to bankrupt Twitter and will probably have to sell a bunch of Tesla stock to cover the loan guarantees. I think the Tesla board needs to jettison Elon ASAP. The company doesn't need his type of leadership anymore, they need a steady, non-controversial leader who can just get stuff done with no sturm and drang.

If there is any merger of Twitter and Shift4, I would think it's more likely Shift4 would pick up Twitter than the other way around.

Twitter will be around in 6 months. There is an ongoing disorganized campaign to create an aura that Twitter is in the shi...

The campaign consists of well intentioned progressives who disagree with Elon's political statements combined with spiteful ex-Twitter employees. The former will get over it and the latter will disappear into the woodwork, like all ex-employees do.