Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AIMc, sorry to hear that. It's weird that I once saw AH up 14% but now down 16%. What a price manipulatioin!
Thanks, but no worries, I have been in/out of small weekly positions up to ER..did well. The last OTM weeklies I left in just for 'fun' will be worthless tomorrow but no big deal....

The elephant in the room with GPRO is the massive lockup expiration of 76 million shares on Feb 17th. The float is going to nearly quadruple overnight.

Yes, and the COO resigning/leaving also is not helpful

One of my biggest recent investing 'regrets' is not buying some LEAP puts when the stock was way overvalued at $90. No way, at that time, was the company worth that much. Apple or Google will bring out a better competing camera and/or just buy up GoPro.

Have people though about NVDA? Seems like they are using their backbone of products to provide the leverage into the autopilot/driverless car world. With Audi/VW as a customer, and a low volume but high visibility company like Tesla using their tech, and a stable cash flow positive business, they are a reasonable option for a growth company with stable income.

Do people know if Tesla uses any of their chips in things other than the display? Has Google been using their stuff in their driverless spheres? Is their tech hidden in other autos already, powering some of the systems? Who do they compete with in the auto space - Qalcomm? Intel?

With solid earnings and lots of buzz around driverless cars, the internet of things, and deep learning, NVDA has gone from the low 19s at the end of January to the low 22s in two weeks. Elon is the keynote speaker at their GTC conference, do folks think there is a discreet momentum play here undergirded by strong revenues/earnings?

GPU Technology Conference | GPU Technology Conference

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 11.52.35 PM.png

SolarEdge IPO

Solar Efficiency Fixer SolarEdge Goes Public

Does anyone know anything about SolarEdge? They claim to have an inverter technology that can boost every output by 30%! They are focused on improving the efficiency of PV solar and are working with SolarCity and other installers, but I'd love to know if their inverter technology could have application to EVs as well. Since they are working with SolarCity, I would assume Musk knows what they can offer Tesla. Fingers crossed.

Does anyone know anything about SolarEdge? They claim to have an inverter technology that can boost every output by 30%! They are focused on improving the efficiency of PV solar and are working with SolarCity and other installers, but I'd love to know if their inverter technology could have application to EVs as well. Since they are working with SolarCity, I would assume Musk knows what they can offer Tesla. Fingers crossed.
Well, I don't know much about them but we just installed a 10 Kwh/p system on our roof with Benq modules (most probably same cells as SPWR) and SolarEdge with their module-optimizers and an inverter. I like the system a lot as you can get statistics and surveillance on every module and if you have complicated shades on your roof it helps too. But the "up to 30%" number seems to be in very rare moments which generally don't really make any difference when looked at the whole year.

Well, I don't know much about them but we just installed a 10 Kwh/p system on our roof with Benq modules (most probably same cells as SPWR) and SolarEdge with their module-optimizers and an inverter. I like the system a lot as you can get statistics and surveillance on every module and if you have complicated shades on your roof it helps too. But the "up to 30%" number seems to be in very rare moments which generally don't really make any difference when looked at the whole year.

Have either of you to any knowledge of what their base is from which they can raise 30%? Or is it the same as "New SPARKLE​ gets dishes 30 percent cleaner"?

PM 'The Shadows', a TMC member. He sells/installs solar systems, residential and commercial. He will know.

AFAIK - this whole thing is AFAIK, not to be taken as gospel as it might be completely wrong :):
With solaredge you still need a regular inverter. What solaredge does is capture variable output from each panel for the inverter. Without it a string of panels output is (lowest output)*(number of panels). I'm not sure why one would pick solaredge over microinverters though.

What other cool tech stock to consider?

30% is far fetched for a good solar site. It is very probable in a poor/shaded area.

Solar edge uses a module on each panel (or bi panel) to maximize the output from each panel much like a central inverter does. The nice thing about the system is its added level of safety and with NEC 2014 going into effect it easily meets the rapid shutdown requirements as is. The modules only output 1 volt dc when there is no signal from the main inverter. Making it a much safer system to work on.

We have installed one system using solar edge and our guys did not like it because of the longer installation time (it was like installing a micro inverter system and a string inverter system.). However, i just quoted one on a commercial bid because they asked for module level monitoring. They do have a good site however so there is no way they will get a 30% boost.

We have had no problems with the system. We had issues when we first installed it because the system was relatively new they had some new business hick ups.

FWIW, I might consider a position at their IPO. That thought had never crossed my mind when Enphase went public.

My favorite inverter manufacturer is SMA.

While this is not a 'cool/tech' stock several people have been following Western Lithium Mining Company: It is up over 20% today: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/western-lithium-produces-first-high-120000038.html

I own Western Lithium but don't follow the Lithium mining group that closely, does this development warrant adding to positions? (I place Western Lithium in the highly speculative section of my portfolio so understand its risks)

Dundee Capital Markets: Buy rating and C$1.30 target for Western Lithium USA Corporation

Is (dot) gd/AkcfKD

February 24, 2015

BUY, Speculative Risk

Dundee target: C$1.30

High Purity Lithium Carbonate Produced as Initial Pilot Run Successful

We recommend Western Lithium with a BUY and C$1.30/sh price target.

Production of high purity, 99.8% lithium carbonate (LCE) from its first pilot plant trial run in Germany highlights one main thing - the plant works. Initial results help confirm the design parameters laid out in previous technical reports and de-risks the proposed flow sheet for its massive Kings Valley clay hosted lithium deposit located in Nevada. While the news isn't a surprise, this is the first time we are hearing of a battery grade purity product at demonstration scale. With the world watching construction of Tesla's Gigafactory in WLC's backyard, and more recently digesting rumors of Apple developing an electric vehicle (or driverless car), Western Lithium has become one of the premier lithium investments.

Pilot plant works. Less than 100 kg LCE was produced but management is touting quality over quantity at this stage. 75t of material at 12 tpd was calcined, with 5 tpd treated at the crystallization facility. Recoveries were in line with design at 85-90%. The pilot facility is designed to produce 72kg/day of LCE or 20t/year if operated continuously. Several tonnes of different products are scheduled.

Preparing for Round #2. Upgrading the plant, improving operating procedures and enhancing reagents are underway with a main goal of achieving the optimum phase chemistry (dropping the right compounds out of solution at the right time). Plant modifications including the addition of an automatic feed system and dust collection units to improve the leach circuit. Byproduct production of potassium and sodium sulphates (K2SO4 and Na2SO4) is hopeful during the next pilot run.

Li hydroxide studies underway. LiOH is becoming a preferred compound. Used in EV batteries, it is a key growth market with demand expected to increase 20%

Last edited:
Lump: I do not follow the mining stocks closely..just this one. I have mixed feelings about it and not because I do not think it will do well. The mine produces a patented product that helps with fracking (and why it went down 30% recently with drop in oil prices) AND Lithium salt that they have shown to be of high purity. They sit on the largest lithium deposit in NA, IIRC. With their proximity to the GF it seems only logical they would be a supplier of lithium to TM. But as your post above shows it is highly speculative.

Lump: I do not follow the mining stocks closely..just this one. I have mixed feelings about it and not because I do not think it will do well. The mine produces a patented product that helps with fracking (and why it went down 30% recently with drop in oil prices) AND Lithium salt that they have shown to be of high purity. They sit on the largest lithium deposit in NA, IIRC. With their proximity to the GF it seems only logical they would be a supplier of lithium to TM. But as your post above shows it is highly speculative.

Ok thanks, so at this point I don't want to chase it after jumping 29% so I placed some buy orders at $.50 & $.47, I hate these penny stocks.

Anyone have any thoughts on MBLY earnings tomorrow morning? I bought a small amount today.

I'm a believer in the long term. Not sure about the short term.

I place MBLY in the speculative growth stock category, large market cap without earnings but it dominates its field & has huge potential, a lot like TSLA. I was in the IPO & recently picked up more share at $38 & $42. This past weekend I had a P85D loaner & I was more interested in TACC & well it worked today & what is in store for the future then I was "insane" launches :confused:.

Goldman Sachs research is questionable after their recent pump & dump secondary, Morgan Stanley is bullish but you need to be a client to read their reports, SA has a good peace worth reading http://seekingalpha.com/article/3021246-mobileye-a-great-investment-opportunity-but-at-what-price