Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home?

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home on a Regular Basis?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes live in Ohio. Bought it from a private seller in Michigan. It’s a 2022 LR AWD and it had 6900 miles when I got it.
Then the initial value in the Tessie meeter is wrong. The battery is the 82.1kWh pack. Inside the meeter it should say either 82.1, or maybe 81 kWh but not 77.8kWh. Tessie is wrong as usual in that.
You can change it by tapping on the number.

(For information I have the same battery and after 2 1/2 years and 64.000 km my battery capacity is 77.8 kWh also. So I still have 0.00000% degradation if we ask Tessie)

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
Then the initial value in the Tessie meeter is wrong. The battery is the 82.1kWh pack. Inside the meeter it should say either 82.1, or maybe 81 kWh but not 77.8kWh. Tessie is wrong as usual in that.
You can change it by tapping on the number.

(For information I have the same battery and after 2 1/2 years and 64.000 km my battery capacity is 77.8 kWh also. So I still have 0.00000% degradation if we ask Tessie)

Where can I find the battery pack info? Anywhere? (Because you said 82.1 *or* 81 kWH).. So now my health is even worse? Should I be concerned? Looks to be considerably lower than the “fleet average”.
IMG_2314.jpeg

Where can I find the battery pack info? Anywhere? (Because you said 82.1 *or* 81 kWH)
Its not that easy, but I think all US from 2022 has the 82.1kWh pack.
What is the EPA range of your car? 358 miles?

Its labeled ”82.1kWh” as the new pack capacity electronically in the BMS.

When they perform the EPA tests they draw about 81 kWh from these.
The car shows full range down to about 79 kWh.
So now my health is even worse? Should I be concerned? Looks to be considerably lower than the “fleet average”.
The degradation comes mainly from time.
If the car was driven less than average the degradation will look higher from a miles perspective.

How’s you’re climate, warm? Annual average temps?

If the car is 1 1/2 year and the climate is warm, 9% is not unusual.
Most probably nothing to worry about.

What is the EPA range of your car? 358 miles?
Honestly, I don't know.. Sorry.. Where do I find that?

The degradation comes mainly from time.
If the car was driven less than average the degradation will look higher from a miles perspective.

How’s you’re climate, warm? Annual average temps?

If the car is 1 1/2 year and the climate is warm, 9% is not unusual.
Most probably nothing to worry about.
I would say it was definitely driven less than average as he had it for 11.5 months and it only had 6,900 miles on it.. He lived in Michigan (North East US) and they have cold winters, average fall, and warm / hot spring and summers. I will have similar weather here in Ohio..

Thanks for the replies..

I go to 85% which wasn't an option so I picked 90% in the poll. Don't want to be riding around out there with limited horsepower so I try to keep it between 50% and 85% if I can.
Same here, one of the main reasons I bought a Y was the power. I enjoy performance vehicles and was buying Mustang GT's before this car. So I keep it between 50-80% for the most part. I can't find the chart but I believe 50% and up is pretty much peak performance.

Same here, one of the main reasons I bought a Y was the power. I enjoy performance vehicles and was buying Mustang GT's before this car. So I keep it between 50-80% for the most part. I can't find the chart but I believe 50% and up is pretty much peak performance.
This is the dyno chart I have seen showing HP/Tq vs RPM for various SOC. It looks like about a 15+% reduction in peak power going from ~80% to ~45% SOC just eyeballing it so the performance loss is definitely real.

Tesla-Model-3-P3D-SOC-Dyno-Test.png

To sum things up:
-Charge late
-Charge often (smaller cycles and lower mean SOC)
- Do only charge to the SOC you need.
Only had my car less than a week but I've been charging to 50% since having it (and reading this thread)..

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what but tried to set up "Departure" charging as I was under the impression that by doing so, the car will know when exactly to start the charging to reach the SOC you set in the app.. However, when I plugged in last night when I got home, and I was at around 40% SOC it immediately started charging..

Here's my settings:

Also, is it better to lower the AMPs when charging? My electric I ran can do 40 Amps but should I do 40 or is it better to lower it to 20?

Thanks!

Reactions: zoomer0056
Only had my car less than a week but I've been charging to 50% since having it (and reading this thread)..

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what but tried to set up "Departure" charging as I was under the impression that by doing so, the car will know when exactly to start the charging to reach the SOC you set in the app.. However, when I plugged in last night when I got home, and I was at around 40% SOC it immediately started charging..

Here's my settings:

Also, is it better to lower the AMPs when charging? My electric I ran can do 40 Amps but should I do 40 or is it better to lower it to 20?

Thanks!
You also have to turn on the off peak charging and change the off peak charge end time (if you don’t have off peak rates, change it to the same as your departure time).

Lowering amperage doesn’t do anything beneficial.

Reactions: ts2340
This is the dyno chart I have seen showing HP/Tq vs RPM for various SOC. It looks like about a 15+% reduction in peak power going from ~80% to ~45% SOC just eyeballing it so the performance loss is definitely real.

Thanks for sharing. Maybe I'll actually bump it up to 90%, probably very minimal difference long term between 90% and 80%. You don't happen to have a chart for that do you? :)

Thanks for sharing. Maybe I'll actually bump it up to 90%, probably very minimal difference long term between 90% and 80%. You don't happen to have a chart for that do you? :)
If you have a Y Performance that chart might be ”Sort of” correct. It is not the same battery in a newer Y Performance.

If you have a long range, the battery is able to meet the power demand on a much wider SOC range.

@eivissa has produced some charts of the power that the 82 kWh battery is capable of, they can be found here on TMC.
Its not only SOC dependent but also temperature dependent.

I normally charge to 80% at home. My spouse normally drives the car for their 90 mile daily commute and I like to make sure the car has 2 days of commuting available in case something happens with the charger/the vehicle doesn’t charge overnight. Easier to deal with that problem after they’ve gotten home from work vs finding out when they’re just about to back out of the driveway. I’ll charge it to 100% right before leaving for a road trip or once a month, whichever comes first. If the car is going to sit without use for several days or weeks (like when we fly somewhere) I’ll typically aim to store the car at around 50-60%. 2022 M3LR

Reactions: zoomer0056
At work, we have a free 5kwh charger which gives 20-22 miles per hour. I will let it charge till lunch then move my car from the charger on the usual days. My commute is 60 miles, giving me the extra range to drive the kids around. On Fridays, I will charge 95%.

I have a wall charger at home that is only used if I need extra juice on the weekends, I can get 6m/hr off the 20amp. I also have a dryer plug splitter and an extension cord that I can run into my house for emergencies.

IMG_2250.png

Alright gang, I need some help here - I supercharged a few times month ago on a 1000kms road trip but it’s now showing I’ve lost over 10% capacity!

Haven’t charged passed 55% other than the supercharging to about 70-85%.

I’ve read this could be a BMS calibration issue so last night I charged from 6% -> 100% via Level 2 charger and this screenshot is after that charge, no recovery
Do I need to do it again or did 3 supercharging sessions toast my 82kwh battery (seems unlikely).