Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What range is expected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
My new Model S LR is just over a month old: I've kept it at 80% on charge but last night set it to charge to 100% to see what the projected range would be.
It came out at 585Km as compared with the advertised 713Km. Obviously the latter is an artificial comparison figure, but what "Normal" range would be expected?
Like most of us I intend to check every 12 months or so.

My new Model S LR is just over a month old: I've kept it at 80% on charge but last night set it to charge to 100% to see what the projected range would be.
It came out at 585Km as compared with the advertised 713Km. Obviously the latter is an artificial comparison figure, but what "Normal" range would be expected?

There's so many factors involved with how much range you'll get, could be as low as 480kms, driving up and down a smooth freeway in perfect conditions at 90kmh may get you 713kms but that's not when it's needed, range is important on long trips with a lack of DC charging, that's when you have to monitor the tyre pressures and avoid using the heater too much.

You can also check in the app (to get an estimate of range at full charge) use the slider under charging. Now that it will reflect your car option of either %, rated or typical range.

That is not accurate. No petrol car gets only 2/3 the rated range with average driving habits.

Many additional factors are EV-specific.
The rated fuel consumption for Subaru Forester is 7.5L/100km for combined urban/highway driving. When my wife sold her Forester last December with 100,000km on the clock it had a 12L/100km lifetime consumption. She’s been driving a M3SR+ since. After 8000kms it shows 155Wh/km energy consumption. The rated is about 125Wh/km

Reactions: Shallowal
>>You can also check in the app (to get an estimate of range at full charge) use the slider under charging. Now that it will reflect your car option of either %, rated or typical range.<<

I realise that - I was just wondering what others' max range at 100% pan out as.