Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Really is the difference between SR and SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elons has brought in so many models like Performance, LR AWD, LR-RWD (now gone), mid range ( gone again), SR, and SR+. He has also allowed features of SR+ to be kept on in cars that were SR only and then taken away. And he has brought in an expression "partial premium" but never quite defined it. I am confused what my SR+ should have in case I find it missing and what it would not have. Wish they had a window sticker with features clearly marked and given to us at the time of delivery.

1. The SR+ has 240 mile range and SR is software limited to 220 miles. I think this is one everyone is in agreement with.

2. Fog lights. Is this a feature of all SR+. If so, it is supposed to remain permanent and not go away in a future update. Do all SR+ cars have it or only those before a certain manufacturing date. How can I find out if I have it.

3. Rear heated seats. Is this a feature of SR+ that will continue to remain in future updates or gone poof.

4. Immersive sound. How do I find if it is there or not and how much different is it from regular sound. Will it be there forever if it is present. Do only few SR+ cars have it.

5. I know satellite navigation and internet radio are features of only the premium and not partial premium. But even in the case of premium it is there for the life of the car.

6. Autopilot. It is supposed to now be standard inclusion in all SR+. But what exactly does it have . TACC? Autosteer ? change lanes while on autosteer while the turn signal is applied manually?

This is the first car that I have purchased where even neither the company nor its salesman clearly stated what I was getting for my purchase price and I have to come to forums like TMC to get answers.

Elons has brought in so many models like Performance, LR AWD, LR-RWD (now gone), mid range ( gone again), SR, and SR+. He has also allowed features of SR+ to be kept on in cars that were SR only and then taken away. And he has brought in an expression "partial premium" but never quite defined it. I am confused what my SR+ should have in case I find it missing and what it would not have. Wish they had a window sticker with features clearly marked and given to us at the time of delivery.

1. The SR+ has 240 mile range and SR is software limited to 220 miles. I think this is one everyone is in agreement with.

2. Fog lights. Is this a feature of all SR+. If so, it is supposed to remain permanent and not go away in a future update. Do all SR+ cars have it or only those before a certain manufacturing date. How can I find out if I have it.

3. Rear heated seats. Is this a feature of SR+ that will continue to remain in future updates or gone poof.

4. Immersive sound. How do I find if it is there or not and how much different is it from regular sound. Will it be there forever if it is present. Do only few SR+ cars have it.

5. I know satellite navigation and internet radio are features of only the premium and not partial premium. But even in the case of premium it is there for the life of the car.

6. Autopilot. It is supposed to now be standard inclusion in all SR+. But what exactly does it have . TACC? Autosteer ? change lanes while on autosteer while the turn signal is applied manually?

This is the first car that I have purchased where even neither the company nor its salesman clearly stated what I was getting for my purchase price and I have to come to forums like TMC to get answers.

Not sure when you bought your car but at that time you could absolutely get a window sticker by simply requesting one. You may try calling your Service Center and asking them to email a copy to you.

Tesla 3-Trim Interior Packages Comparison.jpg

My experience, sorry it’s a bit long:

Bought a new M3 from Tesla inventory to try to beat the tax cutoff in July. Had to get one from inventory that matched our color and trim requirements. Found the last available SR+ Black/black with 19” wheels but we were set on getting an SR. Working with our sales advisor the car was downgraded before being delivered June 23. Upon delivery it was in fact downgraded and the menu page said it was just a Standard M3.

1. Yes my rated mileage is in the 220 range. And yes I charge to 100% every night since that is actually 87% of my real battery capacity. And yes the regen braking works at 100% SOC because of this. We will upgrade and unlock the extra battery at some point if it’s offered.

2. Upon delivery fog light option was a greyed out option that could not be changed. Since the current update 2019.28.3.1 it is no longer there. But I have always had white LED lights that are in the front turn signal assemblies below and separate from the headlights. I think my SR has fog lights that are always on when my headlights are. Fine by me.

3. Upon delivery I didn’t think it would have rear heated seats enabled. But it did. Wife and kids love it. And the kids will absolutely die if an update takes them away, and we live in Florida. I would trade 20 more miles of range and all the heated seats for seats with A/C. As of current update they are still functioning.

4. Upon delivery it had Immersive Sound as an option in the software. It was selectable and yes I could tell a slight difference. Sounded better but not anything crazy. Standard still sounds amazing. After current update it is gone.

5. Never had SatNav, Streaming Radio, Internet Browser. Can’t say we have missed it. I’m sure the satellite pics look way better than the stark grey Nav screen I currently have but I hope there is an option to go back the the beautiful stark grey non satellite view if I did have it. We use iPhone to stream music. I would def use a browser. We would maybe get this upgrade if offered in a future update.

6. Never had Autopilot still hoping for a trial at some point. We will def upgrade but hoping for another sale. Just playing with the lane keep safety capabilities makes me realize Autopilot and FSD are going to be useful when we can get them.

AP and FSD will be great for long trips. Which we did immediately, 4K miles in 4 weeks. The Supercharger network is amazing. Always spaced out perfectly just when we needed a stretch. Waking every morning to a full tank from home charging is amazing. The quickness is beyond amazing and it’s not just from 0-60, it’s also when you’re driving at intestate speed and you want to get past a swerving semi or you want to catch the next group of cars to pass in like .2 seconds. And we have slowest M3 the SR I can’t image a P model

Driving/owning this car has been an absolute joy so far!!

1. Yes my rated mileage is in the 220 range. And yes I charge to 100% every night since that is actually 87% of my real battery capacity. And yes the regen braking works at 100% SOC because of this. We will upgrade and unlock the extra battery at some point if it’s offered.

Actually you are charging to 91.6% every night not 87%. (220 miles = 91.6% of 240 miles.)

when they recently dropped the price of the SR+, fog lights no longer showed up as an option with partial premium.

This is one of my major quibbles with Tesla. You research the models, the trims, the included items in that trim ( which Tesla never posts in full or keep anything updated on its ordering site) and then order it based on available information. And then when you get it you find that they have taken away things that you thought the car should have had.

I planned to get another model 3 but might put it off and wait until Elon gets off his maniac phase and tweets and gets his ducks in a row. Lay out the full features for the price that I am ordering it and don't make any changes whenever he feels like it.

This is one of my major quibbles with Tesla. You research the models, the trims, the included items in that trim ( which Tesla never posts in full or keep anything updated on its ordering site) and then order it based on available information. And then when you get it you find that they have taken away things that you thought the car should have had.

I planned to get another model 3 but might put it off and wait until Elon gets off his maniac phase and tweets and gets his ducks in a row. Lay out the full features for the price that I am ordering it and don't make any changes whenever he feels like it.
TBF the options are laid out during the ordering process, its just not super obvious.

here's direct from their site. LED fog lights are no longer included in the partial premium interior:
9H1WeAR.png

I can't find the article that compared the difference before and after the recent price cut, but I specifically remember LED fog lights taking a hit and I made sure I had a model early enough to receive them.