Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should my ideal charge percentage be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The chart is correct. I have the Tesla wall charging unit and it works great. I contacted Tesla and they advised for my Model S 70D that the maximum amps to provide quickest charging time is 48 amps. However that would require a 60 amp breaker. My electrical contractor advised based on all other consumption needed to run my house, that I limit that to a 50 amp which would provide 40 amps of charging to the Model S. I went with 240v, 40 amps and have an average charging mile rate of 35 to 37 mph and charge to 72% of range which puts me at 205 miles for daily driving. 100% charge puts me at 285 total driving range. (Daytime/nice roads/low wind/sunny no rain, avg speed 70 mph)

Some people prefer to remain in a delusional state.........would that be the 51st state?

Hello Everyone,

I am a new owner for a 2019 MS raven update. We have done almost 6000 kms now between city driving and few long trips.
As per Tesla it has a range of 600 kms based on idle conditions.
So does that imply that when you are charging 100% it should show a range of 600 kms ?
we have tried to charge it 100% but it is 100% charged at 568 kms.
Any insight will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.

Hello Everyone,

I am a new owner for a 2019 MS raven update. We have done almost 6000 kms now between city driving and few long trips.
As per Tesla it has a range of 600 kms based on idle conditions.
So does that imply that when you are charging 100% it should show a range of 600 kms ?
Thanks.

Hi, The 610 km range is based on the WLTP test procedure, which is a standardised test procedure that is useful for comparing range between cars.

The km displayed in your Model S is based on a consupmtion constant that Tesla belvie is repersentative for your Model.
I belive you have about 98 kWh useable energy on your battery, so if it's displaying 568 km range at 100% SOC the constant used ifor calculating range is 173 wh/km

Thanks.

I have a Performance Raven S. It charges to 555km at 100% and has since delivery in July. it is "rated" at 560km, while the long range is rated at 600km. I would think you should be getting somewhere close to that.

Things that have lowered my displayed range temporarily include not charging to 90% regularily, not charging for a few days or leaving the car sit for a few days without driving or charging. Important to note that this is calculated range, which is easily changed by charging behavior, temperature & software updates. The actual battery capacity is likely unchanged.

You could try daily charging to 90% for a week or two, or even a couple of 100% charges - that would likely fix any calibration issues.

FYI, my lifetime wh/km is around 168, which is slightly better than rated, which I believe is around 170 for the long range and 178 for the Performance. This doesn't affect the calculated range, but can help give you a better idea of *your* real range.

Last edited:
Given the introduction of the "slider" I would like Tesla to give a number (percentage charge) that is optimal for the life of the pack. If you never (or almost never) need the full, or even standard charge range; what is the best level to charge to on a daily basis? Most driving days for me are less than 30 miles. What's my number? I'm certain it wouldn't totally end speculation. If Tesla engineers came up with a number for this scenario it would end any speculation for me.

Subscribe to TeslaFi ... You can’t set any percentage and it will charge your Tesla to that percentage. Wonderful app. However, the only downside at this point is that it is web based and not an actual app ... yet!

Reactions: Kenz
Forgive me for not wanting to read through a 700+ post thread, but... What's the LOWEST percentage you can consistently charge to that won't cause calibration issues?

I like to know my remaining range accurately, I'm sure many folks feel similarly. :cool:

The algorithm changes with total miles driven, outside temperature, high speed charging frequency, driving style, and normal battery degradation over time. Your mileage may vary. It is not an exact science. Batteries change over time and they do not all act perfectly the same.

Forgive me for not wanting to read through a 700+ post thread, but... What's the LOWEST percentage you can consistently charge to that won't cause calibration issues?

I like to know my remaining range accurately, I'm sure many folks feel similarly. :cool:
Most batteries are delivered at low SOC, often around 20%. I keep both EVs around 50%, charging as needed to add enough energy to stay between 30-80%. I wouldn’t leave them below 20% for any significant time (>8hr). I do drive below 20% sometimes, but immediately charge upon arrival back to 50%. Will this make any difference? Yes, it’s allowed me to continue using my 2011 Leaf (unfortunately, I did such a good job that I missed the 5yr 8-bar replacement warranty by more than a year :().

I wouldn’t leave them below 20% for any significant time (>8hr). I do drive below 20% sometimes, but immediately charge upon arrival back to 50%.

In the grand scheme of things, not really based on your description, but yes, technically it would make a difference. Honestly for most of us that difference would be minor if even noticeable over years.

The fact is, keeping any lion battery around 50% is ideal. Obviously in practice this isn't really possible. Charging to 90% and driving below 20% does induce extra wear, but its minor compared to those of us who strive to keep things near the middle of the pack.

So in general, I say try and stay near the middle, but if you go above or below from time to time, it's not going to destroy your battery.

Very interesting information folks. I'm considering my first EV, and want to learn as much as possible about them to make sure it'd fit our needs, and to mazimize the life of the battery pack. We typically don't drive more than 15 miles a day, and some days we don't drive at all, so we're the perfect candidates for an EV. There's a super charger 2 miles from our house, so that's a plus for a Tesla :). So due to that fact, and that we only drive few miles, we wouldn't need a 240V charger. But the question is at what setting to leave the car so it doesn't charge above that when not traveling. Is that answer 50%? I thought it was 80%, but I'm seeing maybe 50% might be best. I'd like the model SP, so even at 50%, there should be plenty of range even if we have to venture to the other side of town (maybe 50 miles round trip), which is rare.

Very interesting information folks. I'm considering my first EV, and want to learn as much as possible about them to make sure it'd fit our needs, and to mazimize the life of the battery pack. We typically don't drive more than 15 miles a day, and some days we don't drive at all, so we're the perfect candidates for an EV. There's a super charger 2 miles from our house, so that's a plus for a Tesla :). So due to that fact, and that we only drive few miles, we wouldn't need a 240V charger. But the question is at what setting to leave the car so it doesn't charge above that when not traveling. Is that answer 50%? I thought it was 80%, but I'm seeing maybe 50% might be best. I'd like the model SP, so even at 50%, there should be plenty of range even if we have to venture to the other side of town (maybe 50 miles round trip), which is rare.
New owner? Charge to 90% daily, and as you get more and more familiar with the car and how much you drive, start lowering it. Eventually you will find YOUR sweet spot (it's different for everyone) of always having enough charge for your needs, but not keeping the battery full all the time. Having a supercharger so close will be a big help should you find yourself in a pickle of needing a lot of range quickly to drive farther than normal. But honestly pretty much every trip that's long distance you will know about beforehand and be able to pre-plan your charge in advance to cover.

Reactions: FutureShock
When I was researching Tesla battery degradation in anticipation of buying a Tesla I found a very deceiving set of data. Someone carefully compiled information from hundreds of Tesla owners supposedly demonstrating a very low level of battery degradation. But it was all based on each cars own display of full charge range. After getting my Tesla (a dealer demo Model S, 90D with 7,500 miles) I discovered that the displayed full charge range was about 20% higher than real range (after correcting for rated wh/mile). And my battery had only 72 kwh of useable energy instead of the expected 83-85. So don't be deceived by those who mistakenly believe that their battery has not degraded because the displayed full charge range has not diminished much. Displayed full charge range may be falsely optimistic, missing a lot of battery degradation.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
When I was researching Tesla battery degradation in anticipation of buying a Tesla I found a very deceiving set of data. Someone carefully compiled information from hundreds of Tesla owners supposedly demonstrating a very low level of battery degradation. But it was all based on each cars own display of full charge range. After getting my Tesla (a dealer demo Model S, 90D with 7,500 miles) I discovered that the displayed full charge range was about 20% higher than real range (after correcting for rated wh/mile). And my battery had only 72 kwh of useable energy instead of the expected 83-85. So don't be deceived by those who mistakenly believe that their battery has not degraded because the displayed full charge range has not diminished much. Displayed full charge range may be falsely optimistic, missing a lot of battery degradation.
Model s85 hasn’t 85 kW
My model S 85 2015 has useable of 72kW on this weather.

model 85 has a 4kW safety and the battery has a 81kW - 4kW = 77kW useable capacity;) so I have 93,5% capacity.
My average consumption is 205Wh/km by 171.000 km meter;)

• Funny
Reactions: sdmack and arnis
I just completed a nearly 6,000 mile road trip over the Christmas break in my 2015 S85D which claimed 258 miles of rated range at a full charge when the trip started. I found that to be optimistic since it's winter, but not horribly so. My average watt hours per mile over the summer nearly 10,000 miles was 318 and that's a lot of highway driving. For this trip it was 351 wh/mi. My average since June 2019 of 16,109 miles is now 330 wh/mi the majority of which is driving at highway speeds 70-80 mph. If you're interested in more details checkout my YouTube videos linked in my profile.