Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What temperature does overheat protection kick in? Any way to check its working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
So, as I'm sure many of us are aware, its hot as hell today and we are all melting.

I fired up my car's AC earlier shortly before popping down the shops, and it was reading as 67 degrees!

After about 10 minutes we got in the car and it was bareable, but the screen was literally too hot to touch. Even just tapping buttons with my finger I had to pull my finger away quickly otherwise it was bordering on painful.

My cabin overheat protection is switched on, but I'd say that it needed to kick in a lot sooner judging by the temps of the screen! Although I have just realised the car hasn't been driven in probably more than 12 hours....yeah that's an annoying restriction...kind of answers my own question really.

Any other opinions?

Last edited:
You need to wake the car up, every day if you’re not driving it, to reset the 12 hour timer. Despite the wording you don’t need to actually drive the car, opening a door and then closing it again is enough.

After that COP will keep the cabin temperature below 40C, waking up as necessary to do it. I have mine set to A/C+Fan, and today - the hottest day we’ve had - I think I’ve probably lost at most 2% battery.

I’d sooner lose some battery % that the car end up getting super hot inside. I’d like to just think that it’s a car and should be fine, but Model S/X owners had the yellow border screen problem where the glue deteriorated from the heat, so….

My routine in the morning at the moment is to open my car door at around 9am. That leaves more than enough time by 9pm for the car to take care of the internal temps.

• Informative
Reactions: Billbrown1982
You need to wake the car up, every day if you’re not driving it, to reset the 12 hour timer. Despite the wording you don’t need to actually drive the car, opening a door and then closing it again is enough.

After that COP will keep the cabin temperature below 40C, waking up as necessary to do it. I have mine set to A/C+Fan, and today - the hottest day we’ve had - I think I’ve probably lost at most 2% battery.

I’d sooner lose some battery % that the car end up getting super hot inside. I’d like to just think that it’s a car and should be fine, but Model S/X owners had the yellow border screen problem where the glue deteriorated from the heat, so….

My routine in the morning at the moment is to open my car door at around 9am. That leaves more than enough time by 9pm for the car to take care of the internal temps.
If you just need to wake the car can’t you just do that from the app?

On a side note Cabin Overheat Protection isn’t specifically to cool down your car and stop damage to components - it’s mainly a safety feature if you walk away and leave someone / thing in the car on a ridiculously hot day which is why it only activates for up-to 12 hours after use.

Attachments

• 1FBD4508-7DF8-4C00-9860-59CF0C94E100.jpeg
    1FBD4508-7DF8-4C00-9860-59CF0C94E100.jpeg
    511.8 KB · Views: 166
On a side note Cabin Overheat Protection isn’t specifically to cool down your car and stop damage to components - it’s mainly a safety feature if you walk away and leave someone / thing in the car on a ridiculously hot day which is why it only activates for up-to 12 hours after use.
But what if you forget about them for more than 12 hours? 🤔

My car is plugged in at home. It's strange the 12 hour clock applies to that situation. Why not keep the cabil below 40 degrees for a car plugged into a charger?
It is strange. I guess the theory is that it keeps the car at a reasonable temperature while you’re out and about, so when you get back to it to go home or whatever it’s not scorching inside and doesn’t take long to get down to 20C or whatever you normally have it on.

But then it’s called “Cabin Overheat Protection”, which suggests that the cabin can overheat, and that’s bad? But if it is bad then it’s bad 24/7 surely, not just 12 hours after driving…

I dunno tbh. In my experience it uses a negligible amount of battery, so I’m happy to have it on all the time, even if it’s just psychosomatic in terms of preventing premature failure or aging, etc.

I wish the vents would automatically point down with overheat protection, so it keeps the seats a bit cooler for when I return to the car. Then they return back to their prior saved position obviously.

So, as I'm sure many of us are aware, its hot as hell today and we are all melting.

I fired up my car's AC earlier shortly before popping down the shops, and it was reading as 67 degrees!

After about 10 minutes we got in the car and it was bareable, but the screen was literally too hot to touch. Even just tapping buttons with my finger I had to pull my finger away quickly otherwise it was bordering on painful.

My cabin overheat protection is switched on, but I'd say that it needed to kick in a lot sooner judging by the temps of the screen! Although I have just realised the car hasn't been driven in probably more than 12 hours....yeah that's an annoying restriction...kind of answers my own question really.

Any other opinions?
Slightly off topic. When I first switch my air conditioner on, it emits a loud whine (almost a screech) for the first couple of minutes before quietening down. You don't hear it so much from inside the car but it is loud outside. I have only noticed this in the last week or so (being hot so pre-cooling the car before getting in). Is this what other people get or could it be a sign of future problems? It's a 2020 LR model 3 but without to heat pump. Thanks.

On what are you basing that? The attachment /manual does not say what it is for and I have never heard that said before.

On what are you basing that? The attachment /manual does not say what it is for and I have never heard that said before.
That's what it was for on release.. it's set to a temperature just below life threatening.

"The automaker released the feature especially for parents afraid to forget their kids in the car on hot summer days."

Reactions: Alistairuk