Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do with Model X in repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, so the model x got rear ended quite a few months ago. In fact, it has been in a Tesla approved Body Shop for 6 MONTHS!! So we have owned the car for 12 months and 6 of those were spend in the body shop. At this point, we are very frustrated and don't really know what to do. We also realized that A LOT of parts had to be replaced as the car had a lot of structural damage. So far, the repair is closing in on 50k. Any ideas what to do in a situation like this?

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200 and xborg
Unfortunately this situation is far too common. Body shop repair is by far the worst part of the Tesla experience. Parts are in shortage, and the red tape between Tesla, insurance companies, and approved body shops is abysmal.

I hope Tesla will sort this out soon. I used to think that they need to take over everything; sell insurance and provide body work repair in their own service centers. This would obviously help dramatically, but what about other luxury car repairs? Why are repairs to Mercedes and BMWs so much faster? I'm thinking 90% of the problem is the parts shortages.

Hey guys. This is excactly what I went through. What model is yours. It helped I have a 60D because it has a lower value but same cost prices. Repair cost $50k but value in the mid-high 60's. Going to call them up today. If you need anything ask me on my thread. Accident and Repairs

Also put pictures and details on my thread because I want it to be a sticky thread with everybody's experiences, pics, and wait times.

Reactions: DC Autocraft
I forgot to mention another thing Tesla could do to help: implement their loaner program (with highest-end Model S and X as promised) to also include body shop repairs. Right now loaners are only given for vehicles getting serviced, with loaners sometimes given out to body shop victims if they complain enough.

If you were loaned a P100D Model X with Ludicrous immediately after your accident, and for the duration of the repair, you'd obviously feel much better about the long repair time.

I forgot to mention another thing Tesla could do to help: implement their loaner program (with highest-end Model S and X as promised) to also include body shop repairs. Right now loaners are only given for vehicles getting serviced, with loaners sometimes given out to body shop victims if they complain enough.

If you were loaned a P100D Model X with Ludicrous immediately after your accident, and for the duration of the repair, you'd obviously feel much better about the long repair time.

This is a fantastic idea. If only!

• Funny
Reactions: Tech_Guy
Unfortunately this situation is far too common. Body shop repair is by far the worst part of the Tesla experience. Parts are in shortage, and the red tape between Tesla, insurance companies, and approved body shops is abysmal.

I hope Tesla will sort this out soon. I used to think that they need to take over everything; sell insurance and provide body work repair in their own service centers. This would obviously help dramatically, but what about other luxury car repairs? Why are repairs to Mercedes and BMWs so much faster? I'm thinking 90% of the problem is the parts shortages.

We certainly understand how frustrating this situation can be, especially when you've paid up for an innovative, luxury vehicle. However, we should take a step back and look at how far Tesla has come (i.e. multiple production vehicles) in such a short period of time. While it's true that BMW and Mercedes are both much more streamlined, they're also about 100 years old (thanks, Wikipedia).

We can also shed some light on structural repairs on other lower production, luxury vehicles (i.e. Bentley, Aston Martin, Rolls, etc). Certain parts can take weeks to months to arrive. Granted, some of those parts are handmade, but we are factory certified and those are well-established brands.

With the incoming Model 3, our assumption is that there will still be some additional growing pains, but the collision repair process will drastically improve with time.

@pdpspeed Sorry to hear about all the troubles, but hang in there. Hopefully a positive resolution will be formed soon!

Yeah, its tough figuring out who is actually responsible. I also think it is Tesla with parts but they blame the bodyshop...

This would be the dream

We certainly understand how frustrating this situation can be, especially when you've paid up for an innovative, luxury vehicle. However, we should take a step back and look at how far Tesla has come (i.e. multiple production vehicles) in such a short period of time. While it's true that BMW and Mercedes are both much more streamlined, they're also about 100 years old (thanks, Wikipedia).

We can also shed some light on structural repairs on other lower production, luxury vehicles (i.e. Bentley, Aston Martin, Rolls, etc). Certain parts can take weeks to months to arrive. Granted, some of those parts are handmade, but we are factory certified and those are well-established brands.

With the incoming Model 3, our assumption is that there will still be some additional growing pains, but the collision repair process will drastically improve with time.

@pdpspeed Sorry to hear about all the troubles, but hang in there. Hopefully a positive resolution will be formed soon!
You make a really good point. Hopefully something positive will be formed.

We can help -- we have a team of Body Repair case managers at your disposal. Email your name and VIN to [email protected] and they will hop right on your repair. We're shipping 95% of parts within 4 days of order and there's no reason for a repair to take this long. Let us help!
My repair will take 4.5 months. Check out my thread. They will hopefully total it. Link in signature

DC is right on the money in regards to parts availability.

From the collision repair standpoint, it is essential for the facility to have processes in place that capture 100% of the damage one time and order the correct parts one time!

Without a standard process in place, damage may go undiscovered or incorrectly assessed resulting in incorrect or multiple parts orders, not to mention additional repair approval requests

Any of these scenarios only extend the repair time, increase the cost of claim and frustrate vehicle owners.

Implementing processes that can be measured, audited and continually improved upon is what Tesla should require of its approved collision repair network.

Get a lawyer and sue. Repairs require companies to meet a %50 mark. If Tesla cannot meet a rating of time %50 of traditional car repairs, they need to refund... Same with repair shoppes.

Repairs should never require more that 2-3 weeks for other vehicles. Tesla and Tesla certified repair shoppes need to meet that OR refund the value of the vehicle.

Law is law. Use it.

T

• Informative
Reactions: BLKMDL3