Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to look for at CPO delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this checklist, which I will bring with us at delivery Tesla Model S Buyers', Delivery and Owners' Guide

but that is mainly for new Model S.

Anyone have any suggestions for what else to look for when picking up a CPO Model S? And how close to "like new" should I expect it to be? On the one hand, my CPO advisor claimed that it would be completely reconditioned and look spectacular. But on the other hand, it's a 2 year old car. So how much wear is acceptable on the seats? tires? body? brakes, etc,.? And what else do I ask about?

My DS said it passed inspection with flying colors and only needs "usual clean up and detail that they expect." This is a good thing, right? There's no need to be paranoid that they weren't thorough in the inspection, right?

Here is what I wrote on another thread:
Remember to go over the car carefully. I think they washed the car - and that was all. The wheels were covered in brake dust Probably had not been cleaned in months. Make sure you check every inch of the car, including the alignment specs. They delivered it out of alignment. I had a list of about a dozen items I wanted corrected, or I was walking away from the car. We took it over to their repair facility around the corner and completed a "Due Bill". Fortunately, the Van Nuys center took care of everything. Bottom line - check everything!

• Helpful
Reactions: PDXdog
Well, this is not promising...i just got a call less than 3 hours before my delivery appointment. My DS cancelled the appointment because apparently the Service Center forgot to actually do the CPO inspection. I've been asking since last Friday, when the inspection was supposedly completed, to see the inspection report.

I would ask them to bring the following:
- A copy of the completed inspection checklist - it is quite extensive
- A copy of the specs for the alignment
- A "Due Bill" form. This is the legal document that says what they owe you at time of delivery. Be clear with them that you are going to inspect the car carefully and any items that need to be corrected will be written down and provided to you on the form. Make sure you check all the glass and the insides of the rear tires as this is where the excessive wear shows. Look for door dings, misaligned panels, excess wear on the inside, etc.

With regard to getting things corrected, I would think you have a few options: If the issues are significant, negotiate with them to have a Ranger come to you to perform the repairs - no charge. Or you could hold the items until you have to bring it is for the annual service. I'm assuming at some point you will have to bring it in for service.

Reactions: nikielizabeth
In Portland they delivery the car to you in a garage type space. Have them pull the car our into the natural light and also do not sign anything until you go over the car and possibly drive. Your DS Alex (sure that's who you will get) is a very nice guy.

• Helpful
Reactions: PDXdog
I picked mine up yesterday with less than a 80% charge even though I requested a range charge for a weekend road trip starting right after delivery - that added a supercharger visit en route which was fun but could have been avoided.

Thrilled with the car and the team at the service center but I left with a very lengthy due bill.

Lay on the ground and see if your rear diffuser is cracked like mine was. Also paint condition was less than desirable for a "detailed" vehicle with swirls and globs of amateur touch up paint that will be taken care of by a certified body shop as part of due bill.

Day 2 when cleaning the car I noticed what the DS told me was just streaks on the 4 doors windows happen to be deep scratches on the exterior of the glass that I can fit my finger nail into. Service will also take care of this but I'm amazed the "inspection" didn't catch all the problems I found as they are items that jump out and I ignored the small bits that only I would see.

Floor matts were missing.

Check the charging cable bag. Mine had the old black14-50 adapter not the revised grey one and was missing the 15amp/120 connector (that I've been using for 12 hours of the past 24 to sip miles while visiting family). This was taken care of at delivery.

My keys had deep circle marks around the buttons that look ready to pop. A new key shell has been ordered and the leather case they have is quite nice.

I brought a tire tread gauge with me as well and all tires were even tread inside and out.

Maybe my lesson learned is don't take delivery near the end of the quarter as the delivery team is working their tails off and very under staffed to support the volume.

Lay on the ground and see if your rear diffuser is cracked like mine was.
Mine had the old black 14-50 adapter not the revised grey one... This was taken care of at delivery.
Maybe my lesson learned is don't take delivery near the end of the quarter as the delivery team is working their tails off and very under staffed to support the volume.

What does the rear diffuser look like and where is it?

The 14-50 adapter in Tesla.com shop is black. What's different about the gray one? And is it standard that they would update to the latest iteration with CPO delivery?

I'm waiting for my car but I expect they will prioritize new X and S deliveries this month to boost sales numbers as best they can. We'll see.

What does the rear diffuser look like and where is it?

The 14-50 adapter in Tesla.com shop is black. What's different about the gray one? And is it standard that they would update to the latest iteration with CPO delivery?

I'm waiting for my car but I expect they will prioritize new X and S deliveries this month to boost sales numbers as best they can. We'll see.
Looks identical besides color of the back side just like the apple cube charger it must have been upgraded since origination. The service dept knew when I questioned as my car had both and he took the black one away.

I truly have a high regard for the DS and service dept and trust they will do all they can to make everything right for us. Best of luck with your delivery - bug the heck out of your DS if you want it sooner like I did!

I picked mine up yesterday with less than a 80% charge even though I requested a range charge for a weekend road trip starting right after delivery - that added a supercharger visit en route which was fun but could have been avoided.

Thrilled with the car and the team at the service center but I left with a very lengthy due bill.

Lay on the ground and see if your rear diffuser is cracked like mine was. Also paint condition was less than desirable for a "detailed" vehicle with swirls and globs of amateur touch up paint that will be taken care of by a certified body shop as part of due bill.

Day 2 when cleaning the car I noticed what the DS told me was just streaks on the 4 doors windows happen to be deep scratches on the exterior of the glass that I can fit my finger nail into. Service will also take care of this but I'm amazed the "inspection" didn't catch all the problems I found as they are items that jump out and I ignored the small bits that only I would see.

Floor matts were missing.

Check the charging cable bag. Mine had the old black14-50 adapter not the revised grey one and was missing the 15amp/120 connector (that I've been using for 12 hours of the past 24 to sip miles while visiting family). This was taken care of at delivery.

My keys had deep circle marks around the buttons that look ready to pop. A new key shell has been ordered and the leather case they have is quite nice.

I brought a tire tread gauge with me as well and all tires were even tread inside and out.

What SC was your car reconditioned at?

Congratulations! Now take delivery of your CPO with eyes wide open. Remember, they are experts at delivering cars and do it daily, you, I am guessing do not buy cars as often. I'd say they are trying to be efficient in the process and need to move X numbers of cars through daily, not trying to give you the bum rush.

Depending on the SC, you may be brought into in a nice air coonditiined room with your car topped with a bow. They grab a picture of you in front of the car as the proud owner, which you should be. Psychologically, you have taken ownership. They just captured it for you to post on Facebook!

Then, they will ask you to sign papers, legally becoming the owner, and depending on the state, there may be no cooling off period. This, should make you take pause, and say "no, I want to go over the car myself prior to signing for it." This is the step that wrecks havoc with their delivery timeline. They want to have you sign papers walk around the car, pair your phone to it, show you how things work and send you on your way all in 45 to 60 minutes while collecting $45,000 or more dollars.

I'm not trying to be negative, just pointing out that they are being efficient, and moving any problems from sales to service like a traditional car dealership.

Call your DS the day before and tell him that you want take time to inspect it before signing papers and that you don't want to affect any later deliveries that they have scheduled, and that he should have the car available for inspection in a service or public area, not in delivery. I know you do not want to appear to be rude, but you really need to insist on inspection prior to signing.

I'd bring a clipboard, and any of the great preinspection lists that are online for MS, and write down any and everything you find. Then, you can sit down to sign papers and have the DS put in writing what they will, or won't be repair for you. Then you can decide to sign or not.

If I had done what I am suggesting here, I'd still have the same MS, but it would have saved me a couple of weeks without my car, because of service visits. I can only imagine that sales can walk into service and tell them that these 4 or so items have to be addressed in order to complete a sale, thus the sales department comes before any other customers.

It may be hard, but don't drive away in a Tesla with a service appointment in hand. It's the one extra you don't want thrown into the deal!

If you are wondering what chewed up two weeks of service visits, it was a faulty passenger airbag and rear hatch mis-alignment. In essence the passenger airbag turned off whenever a passenger sat in it, and on when they were out. The idiot light made me aware of it, but took a couple of days to process. I assumed it was a setting like some cars have to lock the airbag off for car seats etc., but no. I called the 800 service number to ask how to turn that off and the operator checked the car/logs while I wa driving andd asked if I could pull over. Very disconcerting, and an hour later I had a P85+ loaner. It took a couple of weeks for parts and all is good now, but it should have been caught during inspection.

Good luck!