Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to make of Elon saying FS will finish soon and non-FS will start production in 3Q?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I recall, over half of the preorders were for the $40k version. It thus is no surprise that millions of preorders are not converting at $100k, $80k or even $60k. This does not mean the Cybertruck fad is over since these preorders have not been cancelled. Everyone is just waiting for less expensive pricing.

If I recall, over half of the preorders were for the $40k version. It thus is no surprise that millions of preorders are not converting at $100k, $80k or even $60k. This does not mean the Cybertruck fad is over since these preorders have not been cancelled. Everyone is just waiting for less expensive pricing.
Plus it was only $100 to put a reservation in. A very low barrier to entry for most people to get in line that may never convert to an order.

The initial published specs vs. what was actually delivered are all the facts you need from outside the Elon distortion field.

People were sold a bill of goods that Tesla flatly can’t deliver. Values are already dropping like a brick. They can’t find more people to buy these fragile things at $100k+. It’s shocking to me that people still honestly think Tesla is going to sell millions of them.

The fad is over before it really even began.

Such strong opinions! We’ll see, an alternate perspective perhaps more likely is the conversion rate for reservations to orders for non-FS Dual AWD at $80k will exceed 50%, amounting to a multiple year backlog.
I think the non-FS Dual AWD will be the most popular for sure as well. It was the only one that met or exceed any of the below 3 predictions (range).
However, unless you really need the v2 Tesla Supercharger access there are starting to be some decent options! Gen 2 Rivian, Silverado RST ($/mile of range!), Ford F150 (but really the T3 will be the competitor).

EegNi6F.jpeg

b8svVsr.jpeg

v2 vs v3 superchargers -- remember that non-Tesla can only charge on v3 and higher.
v2 vs v3 ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

• Informative
Reactions: CHGolferJim
Such strong opinions! We’ll see, an alternate perspective perhaps more likely is the conversion rate for reservations to orders for non-FS Dual AWD at $80k will exceed 50%, amounting to a multiple year backlog.
no way there are one million buyers for an $80k truck. remember the reservations are just $100 refundable deposits, mostly for a $39,900 or $49,900 Cybertruck and the rest were at $69,900.
You won't wait any longer for non-FS then you would for FS. You'll have it within a year, easy. No mass produced vehicle at this price range has have had multiple year waits

Reactions: 1100MCM
no way there are one million buyers for an $80k truck. remember the reservations are just $100 refundable deposits, mostly for a $39,900 or $49,900 Cybertruck and the rest were at $69,900.
You won't wait any longer for non-FS then you would for FS. You'll have it within a year, easy. No mass produced vehicle at this price range has have had multiple year waits
And there's no way that 2,000,000 people sill but an EV. But it happened last year.

And you need to take a look at truck sales and prices, the sales are huge and $80k is smack in the middle.

Reactions: henderrj
Don’t see any facts to support the last conclusion/opinion.
The FB groups I follow, None of the guys who got their reservation email converted to an order for the FS. The CT is way too expensive at regular price already, so a FS is even worse. Let's not forget the FS will NEVER be a collector, zero chances. Unless being an impatient baby (there are a lot in America) there are no viable reasons to buy an FS.

The FB groups I follow, None of the guys who got their reservation email converted to an order for the FS. The CT is way too expensive at regular price already, so a FS is even worse. Let's not forget the FS will NEVER be a collector, zero chances. Unless being an impatient baby (there are a lot in America) there are no viable reasons to buy an FS.
20k have ordered an converted to FS. It's about a 4-6k markup to get a year or two early. Worth it to some, not to others.

And there's no way that 2,000,000 people sill but an EV. But it happened last year.

And you need to take a look at truck sales and prices, the sales are huge and $80k is smack in the middle.
Wait, wut?

This is a really bad analogy. Anyone saying there is “no way 2M people still want an EV” in general is either a delusional ICE fanatic or paid shill.

Every survey (and there are many) of EV interest has only showed it moving up and to the right.

ICE fanatics, NADA, legacy auto, the fossil shills, and most of the media (since appealing to the biases of fanatics is lucrative), endlessly spin any negative into DOOM, but the data has never really wavered.

Cybertruck demand is just in no way analogous for incredibly obvious reasons.

You seem to maybe be basing this thesis for CT demand on the price and sales volume of ICE pickups? That’s even crazier. The CT is in no way a normal pickup, and isn’t going to appeal to the vast majority of buyers of the ICE monstrosities. Even the Ford and Chevy offerings face an uphill battle there, and they’re basically just EV versions of the gas one.

The CT initial reservations were all Tesla fanatics and sci-fi fantasists. And at the original promised specs (which were ridiculous), maybe that could have been almost real.

But when the reality of paying up kicks in, and on top of that it gets way less range than promised, is way more money than promised, lacks FSD right when FSD is getting interesting….. It’s just really not surprising that a huge percentage of reservations wouldn’t convert.

Wait, wut?

This is a really bad analogy. Anyone saying there is “no way 2M people still want an EV” in general is either a delusional ICE fanatic or paid shill.

Every survey (and there are many) of EV interest has only showed it moving up and to the right.

ICE fanatics, NADA, legacy auto, the fossil shills, and most of the media (since appealing to the biases of fanatics is lucrative), endlessly spin any negative into DOOM, but the data has never really wavered.

Cybertruck demand is just in no way analogous for incredibly obvious reasons.

You seem to maybe be basing this thesis for CT demand on the price and sales volume of ICE pickups? That’s even crazier. The CT is in no way a normal pickup, and isn’t going to appeal to the vast majority of buyers of the ICE monstrosities. Even the Ford and Chevy offerings face an uphill battle there, and they’re basically just EV versions of the gas one.

The CT initial reservations were all Tesla fanatics and sci-fi fantasists. And at the original promised specs (which were ridiculous), maybe that could have been almost real.

But when the reality of paying up kicks in, and on top of that it gets way less range than promised, is way more money than promised, lacks FSD right when FSD is getting interesting….. It’s just really not surprising that a huge percentage of reservations wouldn’t convert.
Maybe read the thread a little more closely?

My responses were sarcasm to @GatorMeat's post of "no way there are one million buyers for an $80k truck."

As in people said that EVs weren't popular 3 years ago, except that it was the best selling car.

People saying that there won't be a million buyers of an $80k truck may be in the same category as those saying the EVs won't catch on. Famous last words!

Maybe read the thread a little more closely?

My responses were sarcasm to @GatorMeat's post of "no way there are one million buyers for an $80k truck."

As in people said that EVs weren't popular 3 years ago, except that it was the best selling car.

People saying that there won't be a million buyers of an $80k truck may be in the same category as those saying the EVs won't catch on. Famous last words!
Your pool of customers decreases as price increases, don’t worry I’m sure we’ll hear some words from Elon in the near future to this effect and how they need to bring the price down to move all the trucks.

Your pool of customers decreases as price increases, don’t worry I’m sure we’ll hear some words from Elon in the near future to this effect and how they need to bring the price down to move all the trucks.

Sure, and the pool that is buying $80k trucks is quite big.

Just looking at Ford's site, the King Ranch, Platinum, and Raptor all over $70,000 base price.
I even decently configured a F-150 Lariat and it passed $80k.

And that's the #1 selling vehicle. How many King Ranch or Platinum or Raptors do you see on the road?

Just looking at Ford's site, the King Ranch, Platinum, and Raptor all over $70,000 base price.

And that's the #1 selling vehicle. How many King Ranch or Platinum or Raptors do you see on the road?
The F series is #1 but the premium trims are not the bulk of that, a huge chunk of F series sales will be fleet and basic XLTs and such with the #s decreasing as you move up the price spectrum.

I see the AWD CT coming down to at least $60k if Tesla wants to move anywhere near 250,000 units per year.

The F series is #1 but the premium trims are not the bulk of that, a huge chunk of F series sales will be fleet and basic XLTs and such with the #s decreasing as you move up the price spectrum.

I see the AWD CT coming down to at least $60k if Tesla wants to move anywhere near 250,000 units per year.

Why would not the RWD handle that price range well? After all, it's got the same number of motors as the ICE equivalents do, and still can go faster!

At this point, Tesla is only geared for 125,000 units next year. They will have to add manufacturing space for more. I don't believe that there is evidence of any additional build-out occurring at this time.

And again, in 2022, no one expected the Model Y to be the highest selling vehicle in the US or world last year!

All of those trucks actually function as trucks. The Cybertruck does not. It’s a toy.