Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to Order -- X 75d, X 90d, X 100d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I slapped my $2500 deposit down and now I need some info from some real owners -- what to order?

Background:
I've been looking for a Tesla on and off over the last 2 years. There was always something that turned me away, either price, waiting for new features, etc. I've always paid cash for used cars out of principle (and because it makes good financial sense). After moving back to the States after many years in Asia, I began to get serious about getting a Tesla after the other major purchases and priorities (house, schools for kids, solar panels, real estate investments, etc.).

My wife currently works in Asia and won't be transferred to the US office until May/June/July of this year. So, we only need one car. After moving, I initially purchased a BMW 5 series because it was easiest while I was taking care of the other priorities. Every time I went to pump gas, it was torture knowing that I could be in a vehicle that would just charge off of my solar. So, now is time. And, most importantly, I have the go ahead from the wife.

Concerns:
* One car, and it's a Tesla. What happens on road trips? The San Diego to LAX jaunt would require a stop off at a supercharger? Yikes. Essentially, range. We don't do a ton of road trips and most of my driving in town is within a 10-15mi radius. However, we did do a 2500 mi road trip this summer and I went long stretches at the wheel without feeling tired, we made great time. I think we would have had to extend our roadtrip by at least two days if we were stopping at superchargers every 150 mi.
* Cost: This would be the first car that I have financed in 22 years. Yes, I could throw down cash, but given the uncertainty of everything right now, it seems wiser to hold on to the cash and finance this vehicle.
* I'm cheap: I want nice things, but I want my nice things to be cheaper than the sticker price. And I can wait for the right deal to pop up.
* I don't care about most of the options, but I do want 6-7 seats and at least autopilot 1. I heard that the new AP2 is not as good right now as AP1, but as the updates roll out, will be superior plus puts you on the path for self driving. This is attractive to me. I do not want 22" wheels only because I don't care about the looks and I'd rather have the range over the wheels.

The choices:

1. Model X 75d demo vehicle with AP1. Great deal, $12K off. I threw down the $2500 on this model. But, the sales person said they can shift it to another vehicle if I like within a couple of days. After throwing down the deposit, I came to the forum and starting reading about the range for a 75. Panic ensued. People getting 160mi range -- that threw me into a tailspin.

2. Model X 90d demo vehicle with AP1. Another great deal with 20Kish off. Pricier than I would like tho because of all the options. This model has the 22" wheels and a bunch of options I don't particularly need. I mean, if the forums are correct and you lose 10-15% range with the 22", it's basically like paying $20K more for the increase in performance 0-60 in 4.8. The wheels eat away any range difference from the 75d!

3. Model X 100d, order it and throw it in the manufacturing queue. Basically, for a less than $5K difference, I'd get much more range than the 90. Plus, I can spend where I want to spend and not buy a bunch of features I don't need.

4. Delay and hope another 90d demo vehicle pops up with 20" wheels and a price point somewhere between options 1 and 2. I can only do this for a few days tho.

Given everyone's vast experience with the Model X, are my concerns justified? Is it ALL ABOUT THE RANGE? Which one would you choose?

Reactions: MXWing
I'm of the "If you don't need it this minute" and if you can afford it, I'd do the 100d. By the time you get it, the AP2 software will probably be at least as good as the AP1 (if not better). I was constrained by what I could afford, so I have a 75d. I couldn't justify the extra amount to go for a 90d (and definitely not a P90d - the 100 had not been released yet) that only gained an extra 30 miles or so per charge.

My solar seems to get a max of 31kWh (on a good sunny day) and I average about 16kWh a day in charging (my base daily commute is 20 miles, which is 11kWh - but that also includes about 3kWh drain per day that I seen.) So you may see a bump into owing PG&E on your next tru-up - which is my current dread, but we banked a lot with the first year and a half of solar. If you have a more productive system (and being in SD, you probably have more full sunny days than I do) you may not have any problems there.

If you are planning on taking 7 people on a trip, then the 7 seater (which I have) would be best - especially if 2 are of slightly less than average build (I'm 5'11" and over weight, and I was just barely comfortable in the 3rd row). If you're planning on taking more cargo - especially long items, then I'd get the 6 seater (you can't fold down the middle row, so I pass long things over the back of the middle seats). I've actually managed 7 people and marching flag poles in mine - a full car and long items...

Play around with some trip planning sites to see how much longer your 2500mi road trip would have been in a Tesla. I've noticed a lot of the stops on a trip that I'm going to do in May are not full charges - but enough to get you to the next target supercharger. I beginning to like the idea of getting out of the car every now and then. As they say, sitting's the new smoking...

Well, that's my $0.02 - but I've only been an owner since the end of August...

Reactions: DSGChina
The 22s (or more likely the sticky summer tires that come with them) do have a large range impact - the latest "like Tesla" video features a loaner XP90DL with 22s and it only charges to a couple rated miles past my X75D.

Since you're so worried about range, in your shoes I'd order the 100. It'll go farther, charge faster, and could eventually drive itself.

I'm very happy with my AP1 car and not going to trade it in soon, but given the choice I'd absolutely go with AP2.

(Since that wasn't around until well after my delivery, I'm waiting for a few more surprises this year and for FSDC to actually happen, I'll probably upgrade soon after they release that firmware.)

I slapped my $2500 deposit down and now I need some info from some real owners -- what to order?

Concerns:
* One car, and it's a Tesla. What happens on road trips? The San Diego to LAX jaunt would require a stop off at a supercharger? Yikes. Essentially, range. We don't do a ton of road trips and most of my driving in town is within a 10-15mi radius. However, we did do a 2500 mi road trip this summer and I went long stretches at the wheel without feeling tired, we made great time. I think we would have had to extend our roadtrip by at least two days if we were stopping at superchargers every 150 mi.

Yes, you have to stop a few times when doing a 2500 mile road trip. I imagine you don't do this every week. It's an annoyance but there's something called the hot/craxy matrix. The Tesla is hot, so you have to put up with the crazy.

* Cost: This would be the first car that I have financed in 22 years. Yes, I could throw down cash, but given the uncertainty of everything right now, it seems wiser to hold on to the cash and finance this vehicle.

At 1.76 or 1.99 better to play with other peoples money. Finance cost might be like 4500-5000 over 48 months.

* I'm cheap: I want nice things, but I want my nice things to be cheaper than the sticker price. And I can wait for the right deal to pop up.

There are no "deals" with Tesla's when buying new. Since the best game in town is the 100D there is only one path. The only thing you can do is "time" a Tesla for the best feature set possible versus use of time with it. There is no better time now than the 100D Model and shipments with AP2 hardware. I expect a good 5 years of use at the minimum since it will take time to mature the software.

* I don't care about most of the options, but I do want 6-7 seats and at least autopilot 1. I heard that the new AP2 is not as good right now as AP1, but as the updates roll out, will be superior plus puts you on the path for self driving. This is attractive to me. I do not want 22" wheels only because I don't care about the looks and I'd rather have the range over the wheels.

Think carefully on 6-7 seats. I wanted 7 seats but decided to go for 6. 7 was used too infrequently. 6 makes the two people in the back more comfortable and you have a path to get longer items in the car like skis.

The choices:

1. Model X 75d demo vehicle with AP1. Great deal, $12K off. I threw down the $2500 on this model. But, the sales person said they can shift it to another vehicle if I like within a couple of days. After throwing down the deposit, I came to the forum and starting reading about the range for a 75. Panic ensued. People getting 160mi range -- that threw me into a tailspin.

2. Model X 90d demo vehicle with AP1. Another great deal with 20Kish off. Pricier than I would like tho because of all the options. This model has the 22" wheels and a bunch of options I don't particularly need. I mean, if the forums are correct and you lose 10-15% range with the 22", it's basically like paying $20K more for the increase in performance 0-60 in 4.8. The wheels eat away any range difference from the 75d!

3. Model X 100d, order it and throw it in the manufacturing queue. Basically, for a less than $5K difference, I'd get much more range than the 90. Plus, I can spend where I want to spend and not buy a bunch of features I don't need.

4. Delay and hope another 90d demo vehicle pops up with 20" wheels and a price point somewhere between options 1 and 2. I can only do this for a few days tho.

Only choice I feel makes sense is Model X 100D with AP2.

Given everyone's vast experience with the Model X, are my concerns justified? Is it ALL ABOUT THE RANGE? Which one would you choose?

Replies above in bold.

I'm of the "If you don't need it this minute" and if you can afford it, I'd do the 100d. By the time you get it, the AP2 software will probably be at least as good as the AP1 (if not better). I was constrained by what I could afford, so I have a 75d. I couldn't justify the extra amount to go for a 90d (and definitely not a P90d - the 100 had not been released yet) that only gained an extra 30 miles or so per charge.

My solar seems to get a max of 31kWh (on a good sunny day) and I average about 16kWh a day in charging (my base daily commute is 20 miles, which is 11kWh - but that also includes about 3kWh drain per day that I seen.) So you may see a bump into owing PG&E on your next tru-up - which is my current dread, but we banked a lot with the first year and a half of solar. If you have a more productive system (and being in SD, you probably have more full sunny days than I do) you may not have any problems there.

If you are planning on taking 7 people on a trip, then the 7 seater (which I have) would be best - especially if 2 are of slightly less than average build (I'm 5'11" and over weight, and I was just barely comfortable in the 3rd row). If you're planning on taking more cargo - especially long items, then I'd get the 6 seater (you can't fold down the middle row, so I pass long things over the back of the middle seats). I've actually managed 7 people and marching flag poles in mine - a full car and long items...

Play around with some trip planning sites to see how much longer your 2500mi road trip would have been in a Tesla. I've noticed a lot of the stops on a trip that I'm going to do in May are not full charges - but enough to get you to the next target supercharger. I beginning to like the idea of getting out of the car every now and then. As they say, sitting's the new smoking...

Well, that's my $0.02 - but I've only been an owner since the end of August...

One vote for the 100D. Running total: 100D = 1, 90D = 0, 75D = 0

Shoulda put this in a poll.

I overbuilt my solar for the sole purpose of getting a Tesla. Let's hope I overbuilt it enough.

Two kids that can easily fit in row 3. The extra seat-age would be for the in-laws when they come... I like the idea of the 6 seater only because you can fit a surfboard and skis thru the middle.

The 22s (or more likely the sticky summer tires that come with them) do have a large range impact - the latest "like Tesla" video features a loaner XP90DL with 22s and it only charges to a couple rated miles past my X75D.

Since you're so worried about range, in your shoes I'd order the 100. It'll go farther, charge faster, and could eventually drive itself.

I'm very happy with my AP1 car and not going to trade it in soon, but given the choice I'd absolutely go with AP2.

(Since that wasn't around until well after my delivery, I'm waiting for a few more surprises this year and for FSDC to actually happen, I'll probably upgrade soon after they release that firmware.)

Running total: 100D = 2, 90D = 0, 75D = 0

We are looking at a fantastic car in any version. It just really annoys me that the other options have 22" wheels.

One vote for the 100D. Running total: 100D = 1, 90D = 0, 75D = 0

Shoulda put this in a poll.

I overbuilt my solar for the sole purpose of getting a Tesla. Let's hope I overbuilt it enough.

Two kids that can easily fit in row 3. The extra seat-age would be for the in-laws when they come... I like the idea of the 6 seater only because you can fit a surfboard and skis thru the middle.

Have a close look at or test drive both before ordering a 7 seat. In addition to space for long items and rear seat comfort, the six gives you back your rear view mirror and really opens up the interior.

The middle seat isn't a great seat anyway, cramped on the sides and with very limited headroom. The empty spot is also a natural place for a cooler on long trips (or serious grocery runs.)

If you want an ultra good deal you can get a 100D and swap with my 60D and we'll figure out a good exchange rate. :D

100D = 3, 90D = 0, 75D = 0

I'm doing a 50Kish down, so you're right, at 1.99 it's free money. Finance charges over 6 years are still only 4-6K.

I thought hot/crazy matrix was reserved for women. I stand corrected.

Seems like people want the range and AP2.

If you want to go into Tesla ownership with eyes wide open, yes it totally qualifies for Hot/Crazy. It is NOT all roses. But I wouldn't trade it for any other car.

If you want an ultra good deal you can get a 100D and swap with my 60D and we'll figure out a good exchange rate. :D

If you want to go into Tesla ownership with eyes wide open, yes it totally qualifies for Hot/Crazy. It is NOT all roses. But I wouldn't trade it for any other car.

I suppose this is another vote for the 100D?

100D = 4, 90D = 0, 75D = 0

By the way, does anyone have a loose idea on the lead time for a Model X 100d? 2 months? 5 months? 8 months?

Also not sure they'll even allow me to change my deposit to a new build. :eek:

Lead time is 2.5-3 months roughly from what I've seen.

You won't be able to haggle $1 off the MSRP but moving a deposit should be doable. You might need to talk to a few people to get it but I can't imagine they will give you a horrible time to move the deposit. Especially to a more expensive car.

Lead time is 2.5-3 months roughly from what I've seen.

You won't be able to haggle $1 off the MSRP but moving a deposit should be doable. You might need to talk to a few people to get it but I can't imagine they will give you a horrible time to move the deposit. Especially to a more expensive car.

The one MSRP discount you can get is a referral code ($1k off.) Any owner here can give you one, myself included.

• Informative
The one MSRP discount you can get is a referral code ($1k off.) Any owner here can give you one, myself included.

Yes that is true and not everyone might be aware of that.

Speaking of which, I wish people were more organized about referrals so some serious prizes can be awarded. We are all like crabs in a bucket all trying to get 1 referral.

Someone out there who has their stuff together is riding around in free Teslas, free powerwalls etc LOL.

Yes that is true and not everyone might be aware of that.

Speaking of which, I wish people were more organized about referrals so some serious prizes can be awarded. We are all like crabs in a bucket all trying to get 1 referral.

Someone out there who has their stuff together is riding around in free Teslas, free powerwalls etc LOL.

That would be Bjorn. :p

Though in fairness, he has been a great brand ambassador with his videos since well before the referral program came out.

I'd love to get the free signature Powerwall, but I'm not looking for drama to get it, and I have no interest in starting a YouTube channel.

• Love
An X100D is going to cost you at least 106.5k with autopilot and 6 seats before tax credits and such. Not a bad way to go. I am surprised that no one else has mentioned there are a lot of cpo and inventory cars at a discount such as this X90D with 6seats and ap1 and a lot of other stuff for 94k:
Model X 90D 5YJXCBE28GF007107 | Tesla
A good site to search all cpo and inventory cars is Tesla Inventory Search
And if you deem my post helpful enough feel free to use my referral code Tesla and get 1k off.

Last edited:

Background:
I've been looking for a Tesla on and off over the last 2 years. There was always something that turned me away, either price, waiting for new features, etc. I've always paid cash for used cars out of principle (and because it makes good financial sense). After moving back to the States after many years in Asia, I began to get serious about getting a Tesla after the other major purchases and priorities (house, schools for kids, solar panels, real estate investments, etc.).

My wife currently works in Asia and won't be transferred to the US office until May/June/July of this year. So, we only need one car. After moving, I initially purchased a BMW 5 series because it was easiest while I was taking care of the other priorities. Every time I went to pump gas, it was torture knowing that I could be in a vehicle that would just charge off of my solar. So, now is time. And, most importantly, I have the go ahead from the wife.

Concerns:

The choices:

Definitely 100D

100D, though if I could get a screaming deal on an AP1 car with low/no miles, I would have done that.

Curious what people here are valuing AP1 versus 2. Based on the pricing for new (<50 mile) AP 1 Model S cars, the discount should be $10-13k. There seems to be almost zero Model X inventory right now though. Only 8 showing up on Ev-cpo!

If I was to order right now, I'd pay for the 100D.

We got the 90D as it was the only option (didn't want to spend extra on the P100D) at the time and went with the unlimited supercharging. I'm still hopeful they (Tesla or aftermarket) can retrofit a bigger battery down the road and we can still keep the unlimited supercharging.