Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to Order -- X 75d, X 90d, X 100d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you have gotten the MS40? I would take that over the Bolt. :D

We wanted dual motors, so it wasn't an option for us. Otherwise, of course.

There is no doubt about it, unless you can get a discounted inventory vehicle for your 90d at around $95K, you just don't get the 90d now that the 100d is out.

The same could be said of the 75 as well when compared to the 60. Which is why I did a 60-> 75/90/100 calculation.

I think financially it's beyond just the end monthly payment/cash price number though. Otherwise, we'd probably be suggesting a Model S with rear facing seats that would offer just about the same utility and better efficiency.

We're probably more focused on the value proposition. The overall value of a 100D is on par with the 60D. That's in pure terms of what you pay for vs what you get. Neither the 75D or the 90D approaches the same value, the only reason to settle for a 75D would be if there is no value to you in the 100D. Especially since my calculation only takes into account range and doesn't even account for performance.

I just realized...this discussion would probably sound silly if we applied it to your BMW.

I'm not sure what you have, but for the sake of my scenario; let's say you have a 2013 BMW 528i for 518 mi of range. If you wanted to step up to a 550i, you would have to give up 148 mi of range and 29% in efficiency (20mpg vs 28mpg) and it would cost you an additional $15,000 to do so.

Reactions: MXWing
Where did you find an 75D in inventory? I've only seen 5-6 cars in inventory the past couple of weeks. They were all AP1 P/90D

Possible people up the inventory P75D for cheapest car with free super charging?

Also in the analysis, when doing 15k over 5 years. That 15k is worth less in years 3,4,5.

Not going to say the Tesla is an appreciating asset, but the cost is not as high versus paying it all in cash now.

I think that my wife will go for the 75d, mostly because it is more economical and a great deal. We are now at 18+ years married and I've learned, buying the 100d without her 100% buy-in would be a lot worse than just getting the 75d and go from there. My guess is that she'll go top of the line for the next round and it won't be an issue. ;)

Sounds like an easy choice then between a Model X75D or a Model X100D plus a Model XWife which can be very expensive o_O I vote for option 1.

Reactions: DSGChina
Here's my view from a current MS 60D owner and future MX owner.

We have had minimal issues with our MS 60D. The only time it comes into play is during road trips where we might have to stop more frequently. Depending on where you're going, it may also alter your course and add time. But day to day, we've never had an issue. You get into the habit of charging it up every night and for 99% of the time, it's perfectly fine. It was also a fantastic deal for what we got. If we had to redo that purchase again, we would buy the MS 60D every single time.

Now, as a MX shopper. First, I was disappointed I missed out on the MX 60D. I personally do not think the upgrade from a 60D to a 75D is worth it. But given that I had a starting point of a 75D, it's what I had to work with. When it was 75D vs 90D, it was a bit of a no brainer. If the 60D to 75D wasn't worth it; the 75D to 90D was even worse value for me in. The performance on a 75D is adequate for me, and the range increase seemed minimal. But the 100D changes the game...

60 to 75: $1,127.45/kwH, 15% Price Premium for 18% additional range
60 to 90: $1,108.25/kwH, 29% Price Premium for 28% additional range
60 to 100: $680.56/kwH, 33% Price Premium for 47% additional range

I can not stress enough just how good of a deal the 100D is in comparison. If you were shopping for a 75 or 90, it would have to be discounted $6-7k to hit that same price ratio.

Now despite the value, if you never use the extra range; it's worth $0. If you think you might need the range, and you can afford it. Do it.

IMHO, the 60D model s or x was an amazing deal. But when you upgrade from 60D to 100D, you get bang for buck, the best price per kwh. when i consider upgrading, i only considered the 60D to 100D instead of any other variation. even losing the free supercharging.

Reactions: MXWing
A 75D is more than sufficient.
No one really drives 350 miles or 500 km without a break normally.
We all need breaks, whether it;s a bathroom break, food or a stretch.
Stopping for a charge every 200 miles or so is perfect and one would normally need the time for breaks anyway, so in my opinion, you never use the range of a 100D anyway without having to stop somewhere.
The new 75D battery actually has a slight range increase over the old 85. Problem solved.

Yes, the ModelXWife is the most expensive option that Tesla offers, and you can't get financing for it :rolleyes:

Alimony. :)

Stopping for a charge every 200 miles or so is perfect and one would normally need the time for breaks anyway, so in my opinion, you never use the range of a 100D anyway without having to stop somewhere.
The new 75D battery actually has a slight range increase over the old 85. Problem solved.

Uphill climbs in cold weather will kill any rated range in a jiffy.

Logic ultimately comes down to "Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it." - Assuming finances can support that insurance policy.

All true. The 100D is less likely to be a limiting factor on stop length/frequency, between having more range to start with and charging ~20% faster. Having said that, the only time I've found charging stops annoying on my 75 is when I've been driving straight through and there isn't a meal time/restaurant available, so it's certainly good enough in my opinion.

100D or 60D + difference into TSLA stock.

I would rather own the 100D :) Tesla stock is not a stock to hold onto.

I have owned and sold tesla stock several times. right now is not a good time to buy. I would wait until it drops to below 200 which usually happens every 3-4 months. it's one of the highest traded stocks because there are so many speculating traders who keep running the stock up or down on every little thing that happens to affect Tesla (i.e. Trump or Musk's tweets). Buy when it drops and sell when traders are bullish about the stock (which is right now).

I would rather own the 100D :) Tesla stock is not a stock to hold onto.

I have owned and sold tesla stock several times. right now is not a good time to buy. I would wait until it drops to below 200 which usually happens every 3-4 months. it's one of the highest traded stocks because there are so many speculating traders who keep running the stock up or down on every little thing that happens to affect Tesla (i.e. Trump or Musk's tweets). Buy when it drops and sell when traders are bullish about the stock (which is right now).

It certainly would not be a good thing if TSLA depreciates faster than the cars. ;)

Folks, I'm facing this same decision today. I have a 75D on order and am within the 7 day period where I can make changes. Now that the 75D price dropped and the 100D price increased, the price difference is now $17K. Are most of you still favoring the 100D?

Folks, I'm facing this same decision today. I have a 75D on order and am within the 7 day period where I can make changes. Now that the 75D price dropped and the 100D price increased, the price difference is now $17K. Are most of you still favoring the 100D?

Do you plan to tow at all? If you do, do not think about anything else than 100D.

If not, you need to assess your own calculus on long distance travel. You need to value how many super charger stops you save over the lifetime of the car, and the time value of each stop.

All we have is opinions since all of our circumstances vary. But as my opinion goes:

1 - Does it hurt you financially or hurt your goals financially to go to 100D
2 - Better to have it and not need it, and then need it and not have it.
3 - Will you drive car to ground? Longer holding period favors higher up front purchase.