Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to say when asked how much your X costs...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's an interesting conversation that happened with my Model S:

Stranger: "Is that a Tesla?"
Me: "Yeah it is"
Stranger: "Wow. You must be rich."
Me: ...

I really didn't know how to answer so I just told him the used prices for baseline Tesla's have come down quite a bit recently. This was when Tesla had some Model S' in the $50,000+ range. Mine was not used, but how else am I supposed to answer that without smiling awkwardly and walking out the door backwards?

How about this?
Stranger: "Wow. You must be rich."
Me: "Not anymore. I just bought a Tesla!" ;)

My wife was asked this question about her Model S. Her response was "I don't know, my husband bought it for me..."

I think I will flip the sides if I'm asked...

I've thought about giving this answer since my husband actually DID buy it for me as a surprise Christmas gift! But I think it can come off sounding sort of out of touch...a new car is a major investment for most people, so to say that you don't know how much your car costs and that your spouse bought it as a gift is sort of unfathomable for 99% of the population! I think I would be ok giving this response to some people, but it really depends on the person I'm speaking with.

Reactions: adiggs
Depending on who's asking my answer varies, I have used most of the answered here. If I feel they are truly interested in the car and concept I will tell them more and if they are just trolling around in my wallet I do my best to side step an actual figure and tell them it does not have every option.
But I truly like Xenoilphobe's answer and will start plagiarizing it imedeatly!

Reactions: GoTslaGo
When asked how much the Tesla costs, I usually reply something like this: "It is just like a BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus. You start out with a base model, then add options, for example - on a BMW 5 you can start out with a 530 and go all the way up to an M5, so it just depends on what you want". I have never been asked anything past that.
The BMW example is a good one. Another one is "Starts at $80K", and depending upon where you live, "Similar to an F350".

My strategy with the S was, and will be with the X, to start with a joke:

"2 keer de helft" which translates as... 2 times half... ;)
Followed up by: it starts as low as... 70K but there are always crazy people that want extra's so it could cost YOU more... :D
Then I state that this is comparable with a "regular car" of around 50K* because of the savings on fuel....
But.. the drive is so much better and faster and.... Would you like to drive and try for yourself? :)
And then they are interested WITHOUT me having stated how much mine cost....:cool:

50K* is because of our CO2 Taxes comparable with cars that cost less than 30K in the US!
Because of the fuel economy not really the most honest comparison but.... just check out our prices of a Grand Cherokee:

cherokee.jpg

Where it says: BTW it is our 21% VAT / Sales Tax... Where it says: BPM that is our CO2 Tax.....

So... Model X is a bargain o_O

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo