Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What was stolen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Returned to my car to notice a ton of scuffs and a cut wire hanging. Does anyone know what they could have taken??
11840092-1A03-4FE5-8B81-5E5179FA5252.jpeg

Attachments

• 63E3F552-976B-46C2-B7CD-720B0BF66C20.jpeg
    63E3F552-976B-46C2-B7CD-720B0BF66C20.jpeg
    606.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 6E838DC9-5509-4F10-94E3-A6C14DB39B46.jpeg
    6E838DC9-5509-4F10-94E3-A6C14DB39B46.jpeg
    315.8 KB · Views: 180
Just guessing but from the area that it's in, I'd say it's something to do with the hitch. I believe that there should be a covering on the underside of the bumper. The wire would probably be for the brake lights for the trailer. Why someone would scuff up the bumper to remove the cover (two quarter-turn screws with a screwdriver), I don't know.

Upvote 0
Wow, rough neighborhood. Seeing the bumper all scratched up and the cut wire doesn't make sense. It's as if its vandalism.
Does the rear camera still work? It's hard to make out how many conductors are on that wire. Any errors on the screen?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just guessing but from the area that it's in, I'd say it's something to do with the hitch. I believe that there should be a covering on the underside of the bumper. The wire would probably be for the brake lights for the trailer. Why someone would scuff up the bumper to remove the cover (two quarter-turn screws with a screwdriver), I don't know.

And why cut a wire you can clearly unscrew to disconnect in seconds

Upvote 0
Were you able to check if there was any recording?
Checked the recordings and nothing.

Upvote 0
Brainstorming ...

A key might be to figure out what would make those marks. A vandal would probably just scratch the paint. It doesn't suggest kicking to me. How deep are the scuffs?

One idea would be that the perp's head or hand scraped there while he was reaching under the car. Doesn't fit unless he was wearing a helmet.

I'd like to know where that wire normally sits and how it could be pulled out without leaving things disassembled.

Could it be caused by an animal??

Upvote 0
Weird scratches... Could whatever was attached to that wire have come loose, then bounced around behind the car as you drove along, hitting the bumper and making the scratches, before it finally came off? Is the wire definitely cleanly cut rather than pulled out of something?
This sounds way more plausible than anything being stolen. Especially since the camera didn't pick up anything. Also note the location of the exposed wire, it's on the side of the bumper closest to the random scratches.

Upvote 0