Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Wh/mi are you getting with AWD and P cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C9BEA9D2-D269-43BA-BA6C-B48DAD2BBFC0.jpeg
I picked up my P3D with 20” wheels yesterday and drove about 95mi with a vast majority on the freeway. At 75mph I parked in the garage at home with an efficiency of 332Wh/mi, which is way less efficient than what I was hoping for. That said, I totally forgot all about it when I drove it and got out to look at my new car. :D

View attachment 323149 I picked up my P3D with 20” wheels yesterday and drove about 95mi with a vast majority on the freeway. At 75mph I parked in the garage at home with an efficiency of 332Wh/mi, which is way less efficient than what I was hoping for. That said, I totally forgot all about it when I drove it and got out to look at my new car. :D
Ancient reference. When I took delivery fo my P85D Wh/mi was around 450. A couple months later I had dropped to and average of 306 Wh/mi and there my average stayed, until I upgraded to P85D whereupon it suddenly started off with 460 Wh/mi then eventually went back to an average of 213 Wh/mi. No extra points for figuring out what changed on both instances. It seems reasonable to expect that the typical P3D+ owner will have similar experience.

I picked up my P3D with 20” wheels yesterday and drove about 95mi with a vast majority on the freeway. At 75mph I parked in the garage at home with an efficiency of 332Wh/mi, which is way less efficient than what I was hoping for. That said, I totally forgot all about it when I drove it and got out to look at my new car. :D

The lifetime efficiency rating is going to be a bit skewed as it starts off really high, just as how when you start the car at beginning of the day, the first 5-10mins it'll show bad efficiency ratings. But then it slowly goes back down and shows you the real efficiency of driving the car.

So if you are looking at your lifetime and it shows 332, try to look at the other one where its hows you efficiency since your last charge, or efficiency since your last start. You'll get a more accurate reading that way.

I was thinking about this... I'm mostly interested in how AWD/AWD-P efficiency will compare to RWD efficiency, but anecdotal reporting from individuals with disparate driving habits, conditions, climate usage, tires, etc., won't be as informative as "side-by-side" RWD and AWD comparative testing.

With that in mind, my brother is supposed to get his M3 AWD-P w/ aero wheels in a week or so, and assuming Tesla fixes my currently-dead RWD Model 3 (also w/ aeros), maybe I could convince him to take both of our cars out on the highway at the same time to do some apples-to-apples efficiency comparisons.

(Accurate comparative test drives in city driving would be harder to do -- trying to match acceleration/deceleration rates and catch all of the same green lights and so forth.)

I was thinking about this... I'm mostly interested in how AWD/AWD-P efficiency will compare to RWD efficiency, but anecdotal reporting from individuals with disparate driving habits, conditions, climate usage, tires, etc., won't be as informative as "side-by-side" RWD and AWD comparative testing.

With that in mind, my brother is supposed to get his M3 AWD-P w/ aero wheels in a week or so, and assuming Tesla fixes my currently-dead RWD Model 3 (also w/ aeros), maybe I could convince him to take both of our cars out on the highway at the same time to do some apples-to-apples efficiency comparisons.

(Accurate comparative test drives in city driving would be harder to do -- trying to match acceleration/deceleration rates and catch all of the same green lights and so forth.)
That would be awesome! If you both just drove the same stretch of highway from off ramp to off ramp with about the same passenger weight, same tire pressure and same state of charge, that should do it. Better to have cruise control set with a good following distance from each other rather than autopilot that can vary with the throttle.

S owner here. I wouln’t even think of checking efficiency until you have at least 1000 miles on the car. There are a lot of things on the car that have to “break in”. Especially important are the tires. The sidewalls need to soften up and it can take a surprisingly long time for that to happen. Going from old tires to new can result in as much as a 40- 50 wh increase for a short while. Of course a light foot on the accelerator makes the biggest difference.

• Helpful
Reactions: SteveG3
My traffic ridden drive to work this morning got me 254Wh/mi - averaging about 30-40mph for a 9mi stretch of 101.

My 120mi of freeway driving between SJ and SF on 101 with cruise set at 75 with occasional traffic yielded an average of about 320Wh/mi.

SOC was always between 42% and 82%.

My config: '18 P3D with 20" wheels.

• Informative
Reactions: Yuri_G
My traffic ridden drive to work this morning got me 254Wh/mi - averaging about 30-40mph for a 9mi stretch of 101.

My 120mi of freeway driving between SJ and SF on 101 with cruise set at 75 with occasional traffic yielded an average of about 320Wh/mi.

SOC was always between 42% and 82%.

My config: '18 P3D with 20" wheels.

I'm assuming that 120 mi drive was round trip with multiple stops? The elevation is probably the same too for that route? You're pretty much 2nd person with a dual motor who has reported an efficiency over a long drive. Heavily interested in this metric.

I'm assuming that 120 mi drive was round trip with multiple stops? The elevation is probably the same too for that route? You're pretty much 2nd person with a dual motor who has reported an efficiency over a long drive. Heavily interested in this metric.

The 120mi drive was 3 oneways between Sunnyvale and the Mission district in SF, ~40mi each way. Along each drive, avg speed was about 70mph, with one stop in the middle for about 1.5mi of traffic backup near San Mateo (where it always backs up). Avg speed in traffic was probably 15-20mph.

I did the same drive again last night (late with no traffic) and averaged 328Wh/mi for the 42mi journey, no stop go. Both my start point and destination are 1 block from the freeway, so negligible city driving on these trips.

The 120mi drive was 3 oneways between Sunnyvale and the Mission district in SF, ~40mi each way. Along each drive, avg speed was about 70mph, with one stop in the middle for about 1.5mi of traffic backup near San Mateo (where it always backs up). Avg speed in traffic was probably 15-20mph.

I did the same drive again last night (late with no traffic) and averaged 328Wh/mi for the 42mi journey, no stop go. Both my start point and destination are 1 block from the freeway, so negligible city driving on these trips.

Did you use the pedals brakes a lot? I heard another another thread that the brakes create zero regen, and regen is entirely dependent on simply letting go of the accelerator, not pushing on the brakes like other EVs. Your energy usage seems abnormally high compared to some of the other vehicles I've seen.