Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will i lose in a year after Premium Connectivity goes away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone confirm what all is included in the one year of premium connectivity? Does that mean it loses all cellular connectivity after a year? That's kind of what the "co-pilot" on my test drive seemed to imply. That there would be no map or navigation after the first year unless i paid the $8/month fee. I would like to hope that after one year my car all of the sudden doesn't have any sort of maps ability. How would it know if i am going to run out of range or be able to route me to a supercharger? I have to believe there is a basic connectivity that gives you maps but not traffic. Or that streaming services are no longer included.

this particular note irks me a bit...

How do the new connectivity options impact current Tesla owners?
All Tesla cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 will continue to have access to their existing Premium Connectivity features at no cost for as long as the car is active. As additional apps and services become available in the future, owners will have the opportunity to upgrade their connectivity plan.

so, if they add spotify in the US in the future, even those of us who ordered before july 1 and have free premium connectivity for the life of the car have to pay to upgrade to get it?

i really hope i'm reading too much into that...but that's what i get out of that statement.

Navigation-wise, my understanding is that you’ll loose traffic data. What bothers me is that our cell phones can’t be used as a mobile hot spot so that the car can use our phone plan’s data. I would think that it should be technically possible to do that.

Navigation-wise, my understanding is that you’ll loose traffic data. What bothers me is that our cell phones can’t be used as a mobile hot spot so that the car can use our phone plan’s data. I would think that it should be technically possible to do that.
Actually, it looks like Tesla is making the traffic data very spotty to say the least. It will be interesting to see if people who pay will get back the real time updating that everyone used to get.

So you won’t be able to stream music via slacker radio without premium connectivity. Meaning all music will have to be streamed through Bluetooth, which means my upgraded sound system is basically worthless. What a load of *sugar*.
With the exception of no aux and satellite radio how is this different than any other car in the same class? Actually the Tesla connectivity fee is less than most others.

With the exception of no aux and satellite radio how is this different than any other car in the same class?

Those are pretty huge exceptions.

But "lack of directly connecting a phone via USB for higher quality playback and a better interface" would be another way it's different.

Most other cars in this class (or even much lower classes) offer both things you list Tesla lacking AND that one too.