Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Would Cause You to Give Up on being part of FSD Beta Testing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not as an insult, but that’s because you aren’t a techie. Techies geek out over stuff like that and Tesla as a brand attracts a lot of techies.
I’m as geeky as they come, and k have to tell you, I’m friggin exhausted with Beta. I‘m about to turn the damn thing off entirely and wait for the next iteration…while Ithink it’s important to beta test the software, I’m not sure it’s worth the permanent damage to my daily chi

I’m as geeky as they come, and k have to tell you, I’m friggin exhausted with Beta. I‘m about to turn the damn thing off entirely and wait for the next iteration…while Ithink it’s important to beta test the software, I’m not sure it’s worth the permanent damage to my daily chi
Ok bro it’s time to turn in your geek card…

Seriously though techie not necessarily the same thing as geek.

• Funny
Reactions: gaspi101

there's so many threads in this forum; I've lost track where I've posted what. I did try to warn people that the effort in monitoring FSD beta is greater than the effort maintaining safety score. Especially now where people are just exploiting score resets. People know not what they're getting into :D

I do miss the ability to use AutoSteer at night without autobrights.

I could understand someone not wanting to be a part of the FSD Beta due to that annoyance. I haven't tried turning off the Beta to see if that allows me to turn off the autobrights.

I find it bothersome because I want to use FSD Beta on as-needed basis like I do with AP. But, not with the silliness that is the autobrights.

It wouldn't be so bad if they could tune it for the brights not to come on when there is plenty of light, and if they could tune it not to come on while on the freeway approaching other cars.

It would also be nice if it didn't constantly turn on/off. Like if its busy then just turn it off.
You can turn off the auto brights. Just use the left control stalk (if you have a 3 or Y). Just remember that they will automatically turn on every time you engage FSD, so you need to flick them off if you disengage and re-engage. Mildly annoying, but not a deal breaker for me.

It's odd that some cars are more pestered with things that you'd expect on all cars. I never had anything but rare slowdowns in NOA over 3 years, never any phantom braking. More slowdowns now, but comprehensible and manageable. On the auto-brights it's been very tolerable. Is my car just "a good one" or what? FWIW I always do a reset after an update, and a camera wipe walk-around when starting out, because when I didn't I got weird *hit happening that the rituals would clear.

Reactions: gaspi101
It's odd that some cars are more pestered with things that you'd expect on all cars. I never had anything but rare slowdowns in NOA over 3 years, never any phantom braking. More slowdowns now, but comprehensible and manageable. On the auto-brights it's been very tolerable. Is my car just "a good one" or what? FWIW I always do a reset after an update, and a camera wipe walk-around when starting out, because when I didn't I got weird *hit happening that the rituals would clear.
That may be, although it’s software…the 1s and 0s should be the same in each car...I suspect you live somewhere that’s very predictable for FSD Beta…possibly somewhere it’s been heavily tested before. Or it’s just a simple area for FSD. Youre lucky!

Beta testing a car at this point in your life may not be right for you?
The FSD Beta Scores seem to be as much about our patience as driving in a really safe environment.
Getting a qualifying FSD Beta score is fun compared to the faith you need to let FSD Beta take the wheel.
FSD Beta is like taking a 15-year old kid who got their permit 5 minutes ago out for their first drive.
FSD Beta can be terrifying as it stops for no reason in intersections or roads then floors it, etc.
FSD Beta needs a lot of patience and a really easy place to practice.

Reactions: vanjwilson
I'll end up getting kicked out of the beta when I trade in my 3 for a Y next year. I may buy back in if the 10,000 Biden bucks comes through for 2022 Tesla purchases, mainly because of FOMO. My prediction is FSD will continue improving slowly for quite some time, and may even become tolerable to use one day, but sooner or later it will hit a new "local maxima" as Elon likes to call it, before it becomes "superhuman" and robotaxi-capable. And to go beyond that, there will be new hardware, maybe more cameras, maybe HW4 chips, maybe a fundamentally new software approach to self-driving that leads into the cooking and cleaning Tesla Bot. The new stack will become the old stack, and the new-new stack will stay under-wraps for a long time before Tesla starts allowing people with 100 safety scores to try it in the year 2025, but not before the Youtubers get it for a year. Model S Plaid owners will be distressed to find their beta access delayed again as new Cybertruck owners already have the correct hardware for the new-new stack.

Reactions: emmz0r
Most of what is being discussed here is interesting but has little to do with the question posed at the beginning of this thread.

If you are a FSD beta tester, would you ever consider throwing in the towel and ask to be removed from the testing program? If so, what would cause you to quit?

Reactions: lUtriaNt
If you going
Not as an insult, but that’s because you aren’t a techie. Techies geek out over stuff like that and Tesla as a brand attracts a lot of techies.

""i don't throw around $10,000 ..."

@ChicagoSox, so its a good thing you don't, and didn't, so you can evaluate things on untainted preconceptions alone.

And then you can come share these preconceptions in discussions of things that you have no direct knowledge of.

I'm a bit curious as to why you bother.

If you going to quote me quote the entire sentence and don't leave out what doesn't fit you're narrative

"i don't throw around $10,000 to a TRILLION DOLLAR company for a product that has seen nothing but delays and i doubt will ever see the light of day.

I'm mainly frustrated with phantom and early braking, but all the other things that are problematic aren't really available outside the FSD program anyway, so I'm not exactly losing much competent functionality by participating. It's neat to see the things FSD can do, and a privilege to watch it improve over time.

Worrying about external conditions affecting Safety Score was very stressful, and I won't go back for FSD, Tesla's insurance product or any other reason. I would probably only bail if Safety Score returned or Tesla required a minimum percentage of driving with FSD engaged. Fortunately, unless Tesla starts requiring a minimum percentage with FSD engaged, the solution to FSD fatigue is not to engage it.

Reactions: Mark2018s
It’s the car and the PLACE.. I think on some highways, overpasses have been problematic for some. Sometimes based on light, I find the size and shape of the shadow created by a large semi-truck, can give the AP/EAP/FSB concerns and it will de-cel quickly vs. proceed with slightly more caution. In order to know if it’s one car vs another car, they would both have to drive the same route at basically the same time under the same conditions. I’d like to think that there is some sort of sensor validation and calibration to bring them all in alignment with expectations so the same software code can take them as inputs uniformly.