Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would make you buy a non Tesla electric vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only had my model X for 2 months and it is light years in the future. I love the car and technology. I have driven GTR's and Supra's for the past 20 years and now I have an X so that says something. There is a new Ford X competitor announced in November. What do you think would make you move away from Tesla to a different electric manufacturer or do you think you will stay with Tesla? I really don't see moving away from Tesla. My biggest complaints with the X is range, frequent charging and with Tesla as a whole would be shitty customer service. I feel like Tesla will need to step it up once the competition comes in.

Reactions: Hugh-SG
For me it would be the overall finish of the car, my Raven doesn’t feel nearly as luxurious as a Cayenne S or Turbo. Comes down to material quality, precision of design and assembly, and general attention to details. Tesla’s Engineering is outstanding, design and manufacturing skills are below luxury level. With the focus on going down market with the M3 and MY, it’s not clear whether they’ll remain competitive on the high end.

Just one example, both driver and passenger windows had a nasty squeak every time you’d open the doors, and a mother of all squeaky sounds if you’d bring the windows down entirely. On a $100k+ car it’s just completely unacceptable. The functionality and design of the center console are also laughable given the size of the vehicle.

I still love the car and have no regrets, but even in 2019 I feel like an early adopter of a company that’s learning to make cars. If VW/Porsche nails the EV tech (unlikely) they would have such an incredibly complete package.

For me it would be the overall finish of the car, my Raven doesn’t feel nearly as luxurious as a Cayenne S or Turbo. Comes down to material quality, precision of design and assembly, and general attention to details. Tesla’s Engineering is outstanding, design and manufacturing skills are below luxury level. With the focus on going down market with the M3 and MY, it’s not clear whether they’ll remain competitive on the high end.

Just one example, both driver and passenger windows had a nasty squeak every time you’d open the doors, and a mother of all squeaky sounds if you’d bring the windows down entirely. On a $100k+ car it’s just completely unacceptable. The functionality and design of the center console are also laughable given the size of the vehicle.

I still love the car and have no regrets, but even in 2019 I feel like an early adopter of a company that’s learning to make cars. If VW/Porsche nails the EV tech (unlikely) they would have such an incredibly complete package.

I agree - Tesla is luckily no one builds a real competing car. I have tried to find something but nothing beats an X.

I'd buy a Taycan Turbo S if it cost 200 000AUD. That's about half-price.
I'd pay a little more if it had more range.
The interior is prettier than a Tesla- mine is great, but feels mass-produced and less than luxury...
Not to say the Taycan is perfect, just that I imagine it's a nicer place to be than the Model S.

Reactions: shellderp
For the same price or better, it would need to have:
1) an at least 150kW charging network with the same or better density than the Supercharger network
2) as good self-driving
3) same or better range
4) over-the-air updates
5) same or better safety, driving experience, road handling
6) modern interior (I like a minimalist design)

And for the next couple of years, #1 is the killer. If I cannot use the car to go on road trips, it's useless to me. Even if it has "the finest Corinthean Leather", or panel gaps measured in microns...

I would assume the Taycan has #3 and #5 (#6 is debatable...)

Granted, I've always had good service (Sunnyvale), had minimal problems (just one stress fracture of the windshield that was replaced free of charge) and bought the car 2 ½ years ago when the buying experience still was something special. If I would have had horrible experiences, probably "service" would get high on the list. But every one of the contenders has horror stories around service and maintenance. Just read some of their forums...

1) My Prius dies AND
2) a) Tesla customer service and vehicle service still sucks OR
2) b) I'm not comfortable enough in my financial future to turn down a very good deal on a different long-range BEV. OR
2) c) A competitor I'd consider buying from releases a high-volume BEV that's a better offer for me. I don't want a premium electric performance sedan. I really just want an efficient, maneuverable compact hatchback with reasonable performance and sensible wheel size and tires.

Based on Tesla's charging network alone, I wouldn't buy the competition. Sure, I'm not pleased with the overall fit and finish for a vehicle at this price point, but they (currently) have them all beat on technology and range, not to mention the fun factor. Have had my MX for a month and still can't get over the contrast to the ICE I was driving. Won't go back any time soon.

We have owned 8 new BMW's as my partner and myself both had a BMW each. After taking delivery of my Tesla M3 I would not go back and buy a BMW and I did look at buying BMW's i3. Tesla needs a reasonably priced convertible this way I can trade our final BMW convertible until then our weekend toy has to stay.
The only part of our Tesla I was disappoint with was the exterior paint finish which is being repaired next month. Other than the exterior paint the interior is very well finished and the exterior panel gaps are as good as my BMW's where so I must be lucky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hugh-SG and Richt
All it would take for me is a car that met my needs.

My loyalty to Tesla is directly proportional to their loyalty to me. I don't appreciate their actions in Batterygate and Chargegate. At this point, it would be very unlikely that I'd buy another Tesla. The one I have is still better than any car made by any other manufacturer.

Conflicted? Yup.

It is really simple, there two options:
a) same price, good performance and better range, charging
a) same range, charging, good performance and lower price

Don't steal my time with half range, same price weird mobils.

Bring out a car with 300m EPA range, 200kW DC charging, decent DCC network for 50k.
Or STFU.

Reactions: Waverider
It is really simple, there two options:
a) same price, good performance and better range, charging
a) same range, charging, good performance and lower price

Don't steal my time with half range, same price weird mobils.

Bring out a car with 300m EPA range, 200kW DC charging, decent DCC network for 50k.
Or STFU.

Yup, this. In addition to the Model 3, we have Fiat and GM EVs. Both have nice points, but the Tesla's power, fast charge network, and great driving experience easily beats both.