Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would make you buy a non Tesla electric vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on Tesla's charging network alone, I wouldn't buy the competition. Sure, I'm not pleased with the overall fit and finish for a vehicle at this price point, but they (currently) have them all beat on technology and range, not to mention the fun factor. Have had my MX for a month and still can't get over the contrast to the ICE I was driving. Won't go back any time soon.
I couldn't have said this any better.

Yes, the quality and fitment is not the best, but I bought the car because its an EV, has the supercharger network to support long distance drives and considering that Tesla is the biggest battery maker in the world now, prices of Teslas will drop and range will only get better.

If the competition can beat the above, I wouldn't mind considering other car makers EV's.

Reactions: Richt
Curiosity. The same curiosity that led me to buy a Tesla in the first place. I still don't know what driving a BEV is like. I know what driving a Tesla is like and from what I can tell that's not like driving any other BEVs.

I have a deposit down on a Rivian. The charging network is a major concern for most people that do. So I experimented with driving the Tesla without using the SC's or home charging i.e. by taking road trips where there are no SC's. It is expensive but not bad.

The others have a long way to go. I have never liked a car this much. I've owned a Macan, Mercedes SL and a Jaguar XKR. I don't think the Tesla's fit and finish is that inferior. I did like the Porsche a lot, but would not go back to it. The Taycan is beautiful and no doubt excellent inside and out, but it costs more, has less range and is not quite as fast. No supercharging network, and I doubt it has the digital features a Tesla has. In time, the other companies may improve, but there is just something special about Tesla. I will cut them slack for their service, because it is a young company that is growing explosively. I'm still pretty sold after two years.

Well, we didn’t switch away from a Tesla but we did recently order a Leaf Eplus SL in lieu of a Model 3 Tesla. But it was thru no fault of the Tesla. The model 3 is a fantastic car and we loved every test drive. Truly superior in almost every way to the leaf. But it is a high performance sports sedan and very low to the ground. Hard for me to get in and out and the hatchback of the Leaf was just to hard to give up as we need it for a variety of reasons. The model Y will maybe address some of these issues. We did a big comparison chart and decided that for our present needs the Leaf was the way to go. We also have some brand loyalty to Nissan and our dealership. After 4 years our existing Leaf SV has never been in the shop except for a complimentary tire rotation, battery check and software update. Here is a little list of things that swung us to the Eplus Leaf. In a couple years we’ll be replacing our smart ED and the model Y Tesla is on the top of the list.

Nissan over Tesla.

- Hatchback
- Easier ingress and egress.
- Heated steering wheel for sore 56 year old hands
- Homelink standard. (Not really important for us but kinda cool)
- Heat pump so less energy use in mildly cold temps...like where we live in BC.
- E-Pedal. (One of our favourite things about the Leaf)
- all around 360 view camera display
- pretty much no vampire drain. Important for us as we leave the country for a month or more at a time without being able to plug in.
- rear cross traffic alert avoidance system.
- much quieter than the model 3.
- local service

I’m sure the hardcore Tesla fans will be disagreeing with this post but ya know, it’s gotta be right for us......but I’m still dreaming about my first Tesla. :).

If the Rivian 1S (SUV) had been available today, I would more than likely tried them both. After that, i would have to see. But since i can't compare them, I have an X and that means for at least 5 to 7 years before I even start to think about getting rid of it. At that point I wont have four children in the house (god I hope) and won't need that many seats, so who knows.

Now, March 2021 will be interesting. The lease on the Bolt EV is up, and I will not be keeping that thing, at the rate it's going it'll be worth $10K and the residual is 20 something, no way I'm buying it. At the moment, I don't see anything on the horizon that would make me not buy a S or a 3, currently I'm hoping a S Plaid will be out as I like the S more than the 3. I don't know of anything that matches the S/3 aesthetic I am not one of the people who want an SUV or CUV or whatever the things are called these days, I prefer Coupe or Sedan cars..

Better customer service.

To be specific, as your car breaks you will learn that the service centers are quite busy and my car has been in at least 8-9 times to three different service centers and NEVER have I gotten it back in less than a week. This was fine when loaners were available but Tesla is phasing the loaners out in favor of limited UBER credits, which in my case with a 100 mile/day commute is apparently impracticable.for Telsa to provide.
You will also find that they stop agreeing with complaints and say things like "could not confirm customer complaint" even when you have video or other evidence
I have a three year old model S with 60k miles and will likely look at non Tesla alternatives in another year as i am about to experience my second motor replacement in three months

• Informative
Reactions: Richt and Az_Rael
To be specific, as your car breaks you will learn that the service centers are quite busy and my car has been in at least 8-9 times to three different service centers and NEVER have I gotten it back in less than a week. This was fine when loaners were available but Tesla is phasing the loaners out in favor of limited UBER credits, which in my case with a 100 mile/day commute is apparently impracticable.for Telsa to provide.
You will also find that they stop agreeing with complaints and say things like "could not confirm customer complaint" even when you have video or other evidence
I have a three year old model S with 60k miles and will likely look at non Tesla alternatives in another year as i am about to experience my second motor replacement in three months

Ok - totally understand and agree but what would you consider? My new commuter X was delayed until Dec (from 2 week estimate). I looked at cars over the weekend. I could not find a better commuter. How could the other car companies be so far behind???

Ok - totally understand and agree but what would you consider? My new commuter X was delayed until Dec (from 2 week estimate). I looked at cars over the weekend. I could not find a better commuter. How could the other car companies be so far behind???

Audi etron SUV won't fit the bill? it didn't for me as it was a five seater and while its my daily driver, it's also the family mobile and i have 4 kids :)

All of these would have to be true for me to switch away from Tesla:
- Better service (easy to do)
- Better body build quality (doable)
- Better interior material quality (doable)
- Same or lesser price (not likely to occur)
- Same or better range (again not likely)
- Same or better performance (almost impossible without exorbitant price)
- Same or better charging network (don't see it happening)

Well after 45 years of completely disappointing vehicles I have purchased, I will never buy from any of the manufacturers I have in the past. I wont buy anything from Germany or South Korea based on their dishonest emissions and mileage claims. I have only had good experiences with my Tesla and their service so far. I will never walk in a dealership again. So with that said, I don't see to many options other than Tesla.

Reactions: SO16
Had Audi, Lexus, Volvo and other fine cars before, but my model S P85D (which replaced a fantastic Chevy Volt) is truly the best car I ever had. Love to drive this spaceship! Yet fit and finish is not the best but still acceptable. Really can't go back to an ICE car.
Almost bought a Jaguar I-Pace but the ride, speed and technology don't even come close to the model S...

My major concern with Tesla is the increasingly worse customer service, no more loaners, you have to fight to get repairs done, parts on back order forever, SC advisors try to do their best but they end up lying to you and so on... Communication is pretty non-existent and/or totally confusing. This needs to be addressed very soon by tesla or the competition will get my business quickly.

if it gets better, I'll place an order for a pick-up performance with a big P!

tesla-models-p85d-aug2015-10.jpg

The minimum for another company to compete for my business is for it to have software as good as Tesla's, where almost everything is software-controlled, and over-the-air updates. Without that minimum, I won't even look. If that minimum is met, I am willing to look at the other attributes like price, range, handling, exterior and interior design and quality of materials.

2014 P85 Model S owner. My car will be 6 years old in February 2020. Already put down a deposit on a Rivian R1S because Tesla doesn't make such a vehicle. Fairly frequently, I need a large cargo area to carry stuff. I was never a fan of the Model X which is really a tall car with fancy doors. If Tesla made a large SUV, I would buy it for the Supercharger network. I am worried about how Rivian will handle charging in the wild and would love for them to partner with Tesla for SC network.

I've only had my model X for 2 months and it is light years in the future. I love the car and technology. I have driven GTR's and Supra's for the past 20 years and now I have an X so that says something. There is a new Ford X competitor announced in November. What do you think would make you move away from Tesla to a different electric manufacturer or do you think you will stay with Tesla? I really don't see moving away from Tesla. My biggest complaints with the X is range, frequent charging and with Tesla as a whole would be shitty customer service. I feel like Tesla will need to step it up once the competition comes in.
Without FSD and the Supercharger network, it's too difficult to consider a non-Tesla. And Tesla opened a new, convenient service center. I received the royal deluxe treatment from my local Ford dealer because I bought one their Focus Electrics no one else wanted, and that continued as long as I had it, so I've wondered about the Ford CUV. But I won't buy one because of FSD and the SC network, even if it looks good and the range is good and the price is OK.

(The Ford CUV will be a Y competitor, not an X competitor.)