Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you choose?? M3 LR Decision Time!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been torn on which way to go. I’ve got a refundable deposit down on a used M3 LR. Just waiting on the weather being better so I can get it bought. However as it’s a refundable deposit I’m just double checking that I’m making the right choice.

It’s a Dec 21 registered 71 plate with white interior and 19 inch alloys and also has EAP. It’s just shy of £50k. My HPI check pulled up an outstanding Tesla loan on it and I’ve asked for that to be cleared before I buy it and the garage are fine with that. They are awaiting the confirmation from Tesla before I go and collect.

Alternatively I can get a new one for a similar price but without the white interior, alloys or EAP. It would be the new battery and new processor and on a 22 plate. Im signed up to the alerts on telegram and there have been a few 22 models coming up on new inventory over the last couple of weeks.

Interested to know what people would do. Would you go used with the nice to have extras or would you go new. Budget is £50k

I’ve been torn on which way to go. I’ve got a refundable deposit down on a used M3 LR. Just waiting on the weather being better so I can get it bought. However as it’s a refundable deposit I’m just double checking that I’m making the right choice.

It’s a Dec 21 registered 71 plate with white interior and 19 inch alloys and also has EAP. It’s just shy of £50k. My HPI check pulled up an outstanding Tesla loan on it and I’ve asked for that to be cleared before I buy it and the garage are fine with that. They are awaiting the confirmation from Tesla before I go and collect.

Alternatively I can get a new one for a similar price but without the white interior, alloys or EAP. It would be the new battery and new processor and on a 22 plate. Im signed up to the alerts on telegram and there have been a few 22 models coming up on new inventory over the last couple of weeks.

Interested to know what people would do. Would you go used with the nice to have extras or would you go new. Budget is £50k
New every day of the week, without EAP or the 19’s personally. Why buy someone elses cast offs when you can have new? Why is it being sold so quick, is there something wrong with it or is it a demo car?
Only reason I bought my previous car at 11mth old was it was a £55k car new paid £30k for it. No way would I pay near list price for a used model, but that’s the 2nd hand markets atm.

There’s quite a few nearly new ones around where people are getting MYs.

This is the only one I’ve seen with EAP for sub £50k.

Still struggling to know what to do. Do we know much about the new battery yet? Is it just a bit bigger or is it a different type of battery?

There’s quite a few nearly new ones around where people are getting MYs.

This is the only one I’ve seen with EAP for sub £50k.

Still struggling to know what to do. Do we know much about the new battery yet? Is it just a bit bigger or is it a different type of battery?
I’m not a adaptive cruise convert, EAP is not worth it imo but others say it is. I’d even go so far as say if the SuC network opens to all I’d have got a different car altogether. Until Tesla can get the “normal” car features working properly I wouldn’t add anything else they can mess around with personally.
If you’re talking about the new Panasonic battery, that’s apparently not going to be on production cars until 2023 I believe.

Thinks the new 22 version has a slightly larger battery than the December 21 version I’ve been looking at. Range was changed on the Tesla site and I’m sure it was a larger capacity battery.
The new one will have the larger battery. Whether the Dec 21 model does or not, you would have to check by looking at the 100% range figure to be sure.

As always it depends on your use case. I’m commuting Into London a couple of days a week with a lot of driving time on EAP-enabled roads and am thinking of an upgrade to make life easier given it’s a 1.5 hour drive each way. But if you aren’t doing motorway miles you need to really like being able to move the car backwards and forwards from outside for that to be worth it. Wheels can always be changed
later, but interior can’t. For me absent a serious EAP use case I’d take the new car.

some late 21 cars had the longer range too - worth checking with the garage what it says if they set the charger to 100%. (it uses EPA rating not WLTP so bear that in mind).

I’d be slightly nervous about the loan still being on the car - how are the dealer selling it when they haven’t settled it already?

Whats the lead time on a similar new car? If you can shortcut the May/August and get one in March I’d go new without EAP unless you know you will use it.

some late 21 cars had the longer range too - worth checking with the garage what it says if they set the charger to 100%. (it uses EPA rating not WLTP so bear that in mind).

I’d be slightly nervous about the loan still being on the car - how are the dealer selling it when they haven’t settled it already?

Whats the lead time on a similar new car? If you can shortcut the May/August and get one in March I’d go new without EAP unless you know you will use it.
They are in the process of clearing the outstanding finance as I’ve said I want that evidenced before I commit. I’ve got all the reference numbers so I can check directly with Tesla as well.

I take it the VIN number doesn’t show what battery it is and it is just a case of checking in the car by the max charge level.

New car with white interior and alloys is currently showing August delivery. I may get lucky with new inventory I guess as last week a few white ones came up but not with the extras I was keen on.

EAP isn’t an essential but I do see it as a nice up sell extra when I come to sell in a few years time if I’m getting it at the same price as other used M3s without it.

I keep switching between the two options of new inventory or the used one. If a new comes up in the next couple of days then I may just bite.

no way as far as I know without checking the dash or trying to get a photo of the battery sticker under car. should be easy for the dealer to confirm when set to 100% charge what it says though.

Not sure how much EAP will help with resale value - software updates often don’t hold that much value (eg don’t impact PCP final value much). Wheels/interior will though. buy because you’ll use it

on the US site, LR with 18” shows estimated 358 miles for 100%, 19” shows 331.

There are very low milage M3s about, my local Mercedes dealer had a 4 month old one to sell, the original owner could not get to grips with it and chopped it in against a C Class.
Strange as it may seem, not everybody likes them, once they own it.

They are in the process of clearing the outstanding finance as I’ve said I want that evidenced before I commit. I’ve got all the reference numbers so I can check directly with Tesla as well.

I take it the VIN number doesn’t show what battery it is and it is just a case of checking in the car by the max charge level.

New car with white interior and alloys is currently showing August delivery. I may get lucky with new inventory I guess as last week a few white ones came up but not with the extras I was keen on.

EAP isn’t an essential but I do see it as a nice up sell extra when I come to sell in a few years time if I’m getting it at the same price as other used M3s without it.

I keep switching between the two options of new inventory or the used one. If a new comes up in the next couple of days then I may just bite.
I doubt the dealer has access to the car in MyTesla as you can pull a more detailed spec via that including battery.

Demo cars also usually come up at the end of a quarter (although not every quarter) and these often have EAP on them and are slightly discounted. If they do it this quarter they’ll start appearing mid/late March.