Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's more efficient, RWD with 19"wheels, or AWD with 18"wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to get a RWD model 3 with 19"wheels, but thinking of also getting AWD, but really like the I increased efficiency of RWD. Maybe AWD with 18" areos will be a good compromise compared to RWD with 19"?

Personally I'd go with 18" aeros with an AWD.

Now I don't think it will overtake a RWD with 19" in efficiency, but it's going to be so close that you won't notice.

I also think it's important not to put too much emphasis on it. It's pretty easy to modulate efficiency because it changes so much with speed, and whether you drive aggressively.

AWD is supposed to be more efficient on the highway and RWD in town. 18" is more efficient than 19". So AWD vs RWD depends on your driving conditions.
AWD is about 10% less efficient on the highway and city.
I don’t think 18” aero wheels are going to make up for that.
Gas Mileage of 2018 Tesla Model 3
Funny how it says “gas mileage”. MPGe is such a stupid unit.

Based on 4 months with a RWD and 4 days with a AWD, I think the RWD with 19s will be more efficient than AWD with 18s.

With our RWD with 18s (aero covers taken off), we are averaging 240 wpm. The AWD with 18s (aero covers still on), we are at 280. Yes, the sample size is pretty small, but it's been similar type of driving. The RWD with 19s I would think would come in at 250-260 for us (4-8% hit).

Reactions: Big1matt
Spending $60k on a car with wheels that belong to a $12k car... it’s something that I can’t really understand.

Another big argument against AWD IMO..

Also worth mentioning the fact that the overinflated base tires have performance specs that are very disappointing....
- 7 feet loss when stopping from 60 to 0.
- .05g loss on lateral acceleration

And that is when compared to the 19 inch stock tires which are all season. There is a dedicated video made by Edmunds on this for those interested.

Not saying that AWD is not worth it for those who live in areas where it snows a lot though... the question is: it is worth it for the rest of us?

There is little to no difference in performance (acceleration, stopping distance) between the Tesla 18” and 19” wheels. The difference is the tires. The 19” wheel package includes better all season tires than the stock 18” configuration. For about $1000, can purchase better all season tires for your 18” wheels than Tesla includes with the 19” wheels.

18” summer tires will crush the performance of Tesla’s 19” all season tires so long as the outdoor temperature is above 50 degrees.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
As someone with an order in place for an AWD with 18in aero wheels, where can I get a handle on difference in range for 18 aero vs 19 inches wheels, given I have the AWD?
All I can say after owning the RWD car with the sport wheels is I believe the 10 percent efficiency loss is accurate. I would think it’s the same with AWD... judging that you are from Vermont maybe you could use those 18 inch wheels and stock tires for the winter... and order a nice set of wheels with performance tires for the rest of the rest of the time...

I.e. I think you are making a good call by ordering the base wheels... my 2 cents.

Wheel size has little to nothing to do with performance (acceleration, stopping distance). The difference is the tires. The 19” wheel package includes better all season tires than the default 18” configuration. You can purchase better all season tires for your 18” wheels than Tesla includes with the 19” wheels.

18” summer tires will crush the performance of the 19” all season tires while temps are above 50 degrees.
Not disagreeing with your post. Never said bigger wheels did. I just compared specs of the stock base vs sport wheels/tires. My main point is OP was talking about efficiency.. so I assumed that replacing those stock 18 inch tires with performance tires would take a noticeable hit on range as well!

My decision to purchase the upgraded wheels was motivated by:
- looks (I don’t like the Aeros look and I don’t like the base wheels without the cover either)
- performance gains
- going third party was out of option cuz:
1/ laziness (I don’t want to waste my time on eBay trying to sell something).. I have a bunch of surfboards hanging in my garage for years... likely those base wheels would have ended in my backyard.
2/ I would rather give my money to Tesla than aftermarket tumers that have been ripping off people selling them $100 set of screws to improve the look of their wheels without the cover.. i have some ethics issues with those guys.. not to mention they don’t manufacture anything in the US but that is a separate topic

Not to mention I live in SoCal :)

Spending $60k on a car with wheels that belong to a $12k car... it’s something that I can’t really understand.

Also worth mentioning the fact that the overinflated base tires have performance specs that are very disappointing....

And that is when compared to the 19 inch stock tires which are all season. There is a dedicated video made by Edmunds on this for those interested.

Not saying that AWD is not worth it for those who live in areas where it snows a lot though... the question is: it is worth it for the rest of us?
I would not say the alloy wheels under the aero cover belong on a $12k car. They look better than the 19s IMO. Especially on a white car.

Plenty of aftermarket options for wheels. The 18” wheels and tires are designed for efficiency. I’m going to get some wider wheels with summer tires for driving around town and keep the stock wheels for road trips and snow.
AWD is a huge advantage in CA because with 2WD you are required to put on chains if there’s even a dusting of snow on the ground.