Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's next for model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we've got our heated steering wheel, new console, double pane glass, factory blacked out trim, and powered trunk. We've also lost radar and passenger lumbar. What do you guys think will be the next upgrade/changes to the model 3?

Is the model 3/Y going to get a similar computer/screen to the refreshed MS/MX? With a bunch of Terry Folds, or is it Terry Flops? 🤷‍♂️ Can we play PS5 games in our $40k+ console?

Increased charging speed or higher sustained charging speeds?

Maybe air suspension?

One piece castings for MY, but what about Model 3? I doubt the Model 3 would get 4680 cells but who knows?

What do you guys think is next?

Battery tech will keep progressing, just like smartphones. My BIG beef with Tesla would be:

1. Give us SiriusXM, hell, charge me extra for it, I don't care.

2. Give us back passenger lumbar, maybe my passengers would like it....I'd rather be the judge of that , not Tesla. And again, I'll pay extra for it.

3. Would like to see the 3D view of the maps, not just the overhead view.

4. Give us a 12V power plug for accessories. (Radar Detectors)

5. Give us a way to trickle charge the 12V battery with an easily accessible fast connection so the entire plastic trim area under the hood doesn't need to be dismantled.

Thats all I can think of at this moment........

Since this is a speculation thread...

1. Tesla puts the new 4680 batteries into model 3s and Ys, achieving EPA range of 475 to 500 miles (with effective "real range" of about 350 - 375 miles, which is still enough for most people)

2. Tesla Removes black as an color option (straight metallic black) and replaces it with one of the many shades of black that has another color in it, like reddish black, or blueish black or something.

3. Tesla adds a couple more color options in the Grey family

4. Tesla adds a HUD

5. Tesla begins to offer a "Total home energy solution" product that is a bundle price for a Tesla vehicle, Tesla solar panels, and a tesla powerwall+, that enables someone to pay one bundled price and get a total home solution that includes a vehicle, solar, a powerwall, and bi directional charging from the tesla vehicle that allows it to work as additional powerwall storage in a power outage situation.

This solution only works with the tesla wall connector, and the tesla energy gateway that gets installed when a powerwall is installed. Bundled price saves approximately 10k over items purchased separately. Tesla vehicles with bi directional ports will only provide power out through the tesla wall connector that is communicating to the tesla energy gateway. There is much anger over not being able to just plug the car into your home and use it as a backup, with multiple posts of "thats not fair!" which fall on deaf tesla ears.

6. Tesla vehicles still remain "the standard" for EVs. No other manufacturer manages to move EVs in any real appreciable numbers compared to Tesla vehicle sales.

7. Tesla comes out with a 25k Tesla model 2.5, with 250 mile range, cloth seats, and a basic stereo, that looks like a smaller model 3.

What is coming:
  1. Adjustable suspension
  2. Hepa filter
  3. 4680 cells, 400 mile range
  4. AP hardware 4 with increased camera resolution
What I would like to see:
  1. Powered frunk
  2. Small center display and or center HUD
  3. More color options: yellow
  4. Vertical screen or two horizonal screens
  5. Hatchback option
What I don't care about:
  1. Lumbar support, driver or passenger
  2. Entertainment options or music options like xm serious

Surprised no one has yet mentioned 12V Li-ion battery. Seems like an easy update for Model 3\Y to reduce service visits, and weight, given they have them for the new Model S now.

1BD9E2A4-8A36-4D32-AC9F-8D0C038583FD.jpeg

A lot of good ideas here.

Speaking of hardware only upgrades/changes. Is there anything that would make you consider trading in your old Model 3 for a new one, or make you regret you didn't wait to take delivery?

My list is:

Range: 400+ mile EPA range 2170, or 4680 doesn't matter how they get there.

Charging: 10% - 70% & 70-90% in ten minutes. So 20min gets you from 10% to 90% or 320 miles

An HDMI input for the center screen would be nice, along with a integrated power inverter. for PS5 or other consoles

Ventilated or A/C seats with massage.

Adaptive air suspension.

Sirius XM module. Option that installs like home link. Also, mini mobile Starlink option

Lithium 12v battery. Edit: Zoomit beat me by 2 minutes! lol

powered frunk.

Active noise cancellation (just need the mics in the seats and the rest is software, right?)

Better paint with more color choices.

Surprised no one has yet mentioned 12V Li-ion battery. Seems like an easy update for Model 3\Y to reduce service visits, and weight, given they have them for the new Model S now.

View attachment 672677
Do you happen to know how this works, exactly?

I’ve speculated in another thread that they have either reduced standby current a lot, allowing a smaller capacity battery to work (but it will just wear out!!!), or they have an always on DC-DC with a separate 12V domain.

But I have no idea. I’m personally hoping they are not cycling this battery at all.

And it would be nice if it came to Model 3 - if it meant even lower sleep drain than the current 6-7W or whatever it is. (Though largely it seems that phantom drain is “low enough” these days - I get about 1 mi/day in situations where it matters (wilderness). But wasting 250Wh/day is still not ideal.)

Do you happen to know how this works, exactly?
I do not, but whatever solution they have for Model S would seem transferable to 3/Y. I think it’s inevitable for this 12V battery to carry over, maybe once they can ramp-up production and/or validate them in the new Model S fleet. This isn’t a “luxury” feature they’d hold only for S/X.

I'm guessing the main ones that are for sure coming (eventually) are the single piece Gigacast frame, 4680 cells, structural battery pack. Those should improve fit/finish and increase range via battery tech (4680) and weight reductions (structural battery pack). I'm guessing that the computing hardware (e.g MCU) might get an upgrade eventually! Do the S/X have powered frunks??

I do not, but whatever solution they have for Model S would seem transferable to 3/Y. I think it’s inevitable for this 12V battery to carry over, maybe once they can ramp-up production and/or validate them in the new Model S fleet. This isn’t a “luxury” feature they’d hold only for S/X.
Agreed. I guess we’ll find out how it works as we go along. Very curious to know if they are cycling this thing regularly! I sure hope not! Would be nice to get rid of a failure point on Model 3 (except for failures of this Li-ion battery - but if they’re not putting any demands on it hopefully would be rare). Hoping it is just a “source of last resort” for emergencies and it is just left at a consistent SoC the rest of the time. Seems like that could last a while. And they could test it once in a while to make sure it’s there and can source sufficient current, when they need it.

I don’t know how they would implement this except with a separate low current DC-DC (on the other side of the contactors?) and a separate supply domain for critical 12V stuff though. I feel like the main high output DC-DC probably just has too much standby current to leave on all the time (and it also requires the contactors to be closed as I understand it).

Last edited: