Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's next for model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battery tech will keep progressing, just like smartphones. My BIG beef with Tesla would be:

1. Give us SiriusXM, hell, charge me extra for it, I don't care.
Pretty much not going to happen if you mean the satellite version, as that requires an antenna which supposedly has no place to fit in the Model 3/Y. If you mean the internet version, there is a possibility, but many people already just stream from their phones via Bluetooth as a workaround.
2. Give us back passenger lumbar, maybe my passengers would like it....I'd rather be the judge of that , not Tesla. And again, I'll pay extra for it.

3. Would like to see the 3D view of the maps, not just the overhead view.
Not sure if you mean the same thing, but if you put the car into navigation mode (plus you might have to press compass icon also to make it rotate the direction you are traveling, instead of north), it gives 3D perspective view. It doesn't have 3D renderings of the buildings like some maps do, but works quite well for navigation.
4. Give us a 12V power plug for accessories. (Radar Detectors)
There is a 12V plug if you open the center console armrest. Is that what you were referring to? Or are you talking about a different type of connection?
1623564291305.png

5. Give us a way to trickle charge the 12V battery with an easily accessible fast connection so the entire plastic trim area under the hood doesn't need to be dismantled.
Unlikely to happen ever, seeing the Model S redesign still requires removing an access panel. As others mentioned, what might be more likely to happen is a lithium ion 12V battery so that it is more durable.

I am hoping and think that they keep improving sound insulation and will add adjustable suspension. 4680 cells are definately coming at some point, also hoping for a foldable rear middle seat like the Y has. I’d love to see a powered frunk but doubt that will happen.

So we've got our heated steering wheel, new console, double pane glass, factory blacked out trim, and powered trunk. We've also lost radar and passenger lumbar. What do you guys think will be the next upgrade/changes to the model 3?

Is the model 3/Y going to get a similar computer/screen to the refreshed MS/MX? With a bunch of Terry Folds, or is it Terry Flops? 🤷‍♂️ Can we play PS5 games in our $40k+ console?

Increased charging speed or higher sustained charging speeds?

Maybe air suspension?

One piece castings for MY, but what about Model 3? I doubt the Model 3 would get 4680 cells but who knows?

What do you guys think is next?
Air suspension would be great, but happy for Tesla to remove all the unnecessary junk. Such as: heated seats and electric seats adjustment (mechanical ones are so much faster to operate and less likely to fail). I'd be happy to not have a games consol in the car. I imagine we are all paying for the few who actually think it's worthwhile to have games. If they are that keen why not just use their own tablet.

Air suspension would be great, but happy for Tesla to remove all the unnecessary junk. Such as: heated seats and electric seats adjustment (mechanical ones are so much faster to operate and less likely to fail). I'd be happy to not have a games consol in the car. I imagine we are all paying for the few who actually think it's worthwhile to have games. If they are that keen why not just use their own tablet.

Heated seats are unnecessary junk? Going to take a guess and say you live somewhere pretty warm

If you are a tesla vehicle owner, you absolutely, definitely 100% bought the wrong car if you think things like "mechanical seat adjustments" are better than electric ones. Might as well ask for hand crank windows too, while you are at it. Less likely to fail.

Hi. I saw the video from James May of Top Gear, He has a Model S and it looked very involved getting to the 12v battery. I was told the 3 and the S 12v battery access were near identical.
He over exaggerated (not necessarily on purpose, he's called captain slow for a reason; plus he might have had to add extra step of popping frunk without power). It's quite easy.

Plus Model 3 is even easier:
Do It Yourself - Model 3

This thread is fascinating. That said, I'm driving a 2018 M3 AWD LR and am perfectly happy. Don't expect to buy a new Model 3, get a new computer, Li-ion battery or 4680 cells. As I've said elsewhere on this forum, I have a great car. I look at it as a 20-25 year investment, my forever car. I'm an older guy. Kind of like my friend's Dad who bought two Mustangs, one in 1964 and the other in 1965 and kept them for the rest of his life. An investment on top of reliable transportation. ;) Be Well. Stay Safe. Drive a Tesla.

I’ll say with the current S lineup (slowest one matches the M3P and the Plaid is a beast) Tesla can finally do a few things to the 3 Performance that previously would have potentially cannibalized the S.

I‘d like to see improvements to the power curve in the M3P, some kind of Spaceballs mode+Cheetah (latter requires air suspension), maybe brakes+suspension, and distinguishing visuals.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I am hoping and think that they keep improving sound insulation and will add adjustable suspension. 4680 cells are definately coming at some point, also hoping for a foldable rear middle seat like the Y has. I’d love to see a powered frunk but doubt that will happen.

im not sure how much sound insulation will do the 3/Y. Yes, more isolation in the doors would be desireable but it probably doesnt improve things that much. the real culprit is imho just that like 50% of the cars surface is glass. and that is also frameless. it will just let noise in.

im not sure how much sound insulation will do the 3/Y. Yes, more isolation in the doors would be desireable but it probably doesnt improve things that much. the real culprit is imho just that like 50% of the cars surface is glass. and that is also frameless. it will just let noise in.

I mean the S was always a lot more quiet and it also has a lot of glass and frameless doors and according to the early test drives of the refreshed S it is even quieter even though ANC isn‘t turned on yet. So I think there is a lot they can do.

Speaking of which, just changed my Q1 2020 Model 3 for a Q2 2021 one and it is more quiet, I wouldn’t say night and day but it is significant. Had other people in the car as well and they commented on that, my dad now think a Model 3 or Y might be an real option for him due to that improvement.

Yes, but apparently is not for radar detectors because its not switchable, its always on which can kill the 12v battery..
It's not always on. It turns off when the car goes to sleep (some amount of minutes after leaving it and locking it). If you have Sentry Mode on, then I believe it stays on (but won't kill the 12v battery because the car will be charging it from the HV battery).

It would be nice if there was more choices for range and interior. Like the SR+ I was thinking about but really wanted the premium interior options.

The range and AWD did sell me too. I know they had a Model 3 LR RWD at one point.

More and different color options would be nice, and red shouldn't be an extra $1000

1. Fix flimsy frunk closing - reinforce or auto-open/close.
2. Add hatchback
3. Add electric blackout glass feature to sunroof.
4. Add glass shatter detection to alarm system - or otherwise protect or eliminate vulnerable rear quarter side window.
5. Move side view mirror closer to lip so frame does not block view.
6. Design a decent front license plate holder.
7. Remove reflective white dashboard trim, and get rid of wood dashboard trim.

I was hoping they would gradually be able to bring down the price. I understand right now demand is not an issue and due to supply chain issues the price has gone up.
Hopefully in a few years with all the new factory’s producing the volume b be increased so that the price can be reduced.