Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the feeling on infrastructure (service and delivery centers) to support Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
Now that Model 3 non-employee deliveries seem to be imminent, I am wondering about how Tesla will support them. In my area (New England), at least, there have been no new delivery centers or service facilities in the 2 years since I took delivery of my Model S. There must be hundreds if not thousands more Teslas in the region since 2015, yet the support system does not appear to be growing. My local SC always seems to be crammed with cars, but I do not have any inside information on how close they may be to capacity.
Tesla publishes a map of planned Superchargers, and even though they seem always to be late in installing them, at least we get a picture. Do they publish anything similar for service facilities?

Now that Model 3 non-employee deliveries seem to be imminent, I am wondering about how Tesla will support them. In my area (New England), at least, there have been no new delivery centers or service facilities in the 2 years since I took delivery of my Model S. There must be hundreds if not thousands more Teslas in the region since 2015, yet the support system does not appear to be growing. My local SC always seems to be crammed with cars, but I do not have any inside information on how close they may be to capacity.
Tesla publishes a map of planned Superchargers, and even though they seem always to be late in installing them, at least we get a picture. Do they publish anything similar for service facilities?

Same interactive map as the superchargers, just select only service centers.

Service Centers

Oh, and prepare to be disappointed.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Pkmmte and David29
Tesla is greatly expanding the remote ranger service. Although we have two service centers in metro Phoenix, I request ranger service as much of the work on an electric car can be done that way. For example, I had a camera problem last week and service center was going to schedule time at the center. I asked if ranger could do it — one lives a mile away and sure enough that’s how we got the work done. Of course, there will be times when remote service won’t suffice but I’ll bet at least half of the repairs can be done at your home or work site.

This concerns me. I'm ~190 miles from the closest SC located in Marietta, GA. I know there are current Tesla owners that live far from the service centers, but wonder how that is going to pair with the influx of Model 3s. I would feel better if I knew that rangers were going to travel to or be based in areas not served by a current SC. Does anyone have news about the plans to address locations like mine (central Alabama)?

Of course, there will be times when remote service won’t suffice but I’ll bet at least half of the repairs can be done at your home or work site.

In the 2016 Q4 shareholder letter they said >80%:
In service, since more than 80% of our repairs are so minor that they can be done remotely, we are expanding our mobile repair service that allows Tesla to make vehicle repairs at an owner’s home or office.

Yup, you are right, I am disappointed. Not a single future service center in all of the 6 states of new England, nor even any stores. Glad I live near one.
Keep in mind that, in many states, Tesla is limited to a fixed number of stores and locations. If your state is one of them you may want to direct your ire at your state legislature rather than Tesla.

At the Model 3 unveil, Elon said that in about any mid sized metro area you would be able buy a car and get it serviced. Have they fallen short of the 441 projected locations by the end of 2017?

Screenshot_20180102-202731.png

Here in Spokane there's no delivery center, no service center, and one local ranger. He is kept very busy as it is. When Model 3 starts arriving here, he's going to be completely swamped if they don't add several more rangers.