Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the likelihood we will see Speed Limit Sign recognition?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is from the current owners manual for my ravin model s(
May 16, 2019
):

Controlling Speed Assist
To adjust the Speed Limit Warning setting,
touch Controls > Autopilot > Speed Limit
Warning, then choose one of these options:
• Off - Speed limit warnings do not display
and chimes are not sounded.
• Display - Speed limit signs display on the
instrument panel and the sign increases in
size when you exceed the determined
limit.
• Chime - In addition to the visual display, a
chime is sounded whenever you exceed
the determined speed limit.

You can also specify how the speed limit is
determined:
• Relative - The speed limit is determined
automatically based on detected traffic
signs and GPS data.
If desired, you can set
a speed limit offset (+ or -) if you want to
be alerted only when you exceed the
offset speed limit by a specified amount.
For example, you can increase the offset
to +10 mph (10 km/h) if you only want to
be warned when you exceed the speed
limit by 10 mph (10 km/h).
Note: The offset from speed limit also
affects the number shown in the gray
speedometer icon on the left side of the
driving speed on the instrument panel.
• Absolute - Manually specify any speed
limit between 20 and 140 mph (30 and
240 km/h).

And under limitations:

Limitations and Inaccuracies
Speed Assist may not be fully functional or
may provide inaccurate information in these
situations:

• Visibility is poor and speed limit signs are
not clearly visible (due to heavy rain,
snow, fog, etc.).
• Bright light (such as from oncoming
headlights or direct sunlight) is interfering
with the view of the camera(s).
• Model S is being driven very close to a
vehicle in front of it which is blocking the
view of the camera(s).
• The windshield is obstructing the view of
the camera(s) (fogged over, dirty, covered
by a sticker, etc.).
• Speed limit signs are concealed by
objects.

• The speed limits stored in the GPS
database are incorrect or outdated.
• Model S is being driven in an area where
GPS data is not available.
• Traffic signs do not conform to standard
recognizable formats.

• A road or a speed limit has recently
changed.

This seems to imply tesla is reading signs. I guess they could be cagey and are alluding to old mobileye cars in this description.

Last edited:
Tesla web site also says, (has said for months) that Smart Summon is active. So you can't use Tesla's word as any indicator of what features are actually working.

The in car manual used to have a note that the cameras don't read the speed limit signs, but that it would be fixed in a future firmware update. Those notes are gone now. But I don't disagree with your comment.

I tried to cover the gps antenna with aluminum tape to disable the use of the gps database for speed limits. The older service manual says the antenna is in the upper left corner of the hatch, but when I covered that area, I was still getting gps data for navigation. It may be that they have changed the location on the new raven s.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Tesla web site also says, (has said for months) that Smart Summon is active. So you can't use Tesla's word as any indicator of what features are actually working.
They also promised AP1's summon would do "smart summon" things like coming to find you anywhere on private property. It's usually best to not believe Tesla's words and trust your eyes instead.

And it worked beautifully in my 2015 AP1 car so the ability is literally generations old at this point....

I believe this is a MobileEye patent issue.

Which now makes this an Intel patent issue.

I wish they'd enter some cross licensing agreement with Intel soon or figure out a work around as some of the speed limits are way out of sync with the map data in the car.

They would cetrainly need to read speed limit signs for FSD.

Reactions: Matias
The current software is NOT reading speed limit signs.

On a road trip yesterday, noticed several places where the onboard speed limit was different than the actual speed limit on the road.

Until Tesla gets the AP system reading all traffic signs (including speed limits), the software can't achieve FSD or even NOAP and drive within the posted speeds and obeying traffic laws.

Reactions: dbldwn02 and Matias
I have an issue where the vehicle while driving 5 north between OC and LA in a construction zone, the car will suddenly drop the TACC speed from my set speed (say 70) to 35MPH -- happened Saturday night. VERY dangerous in flowing traffic. I believe that it is due to the fact that lanes have been shifted due to construction and the NAV may think that the car is now on surface streets or on an off ramp. I honestly HATE the automatic ramp slow down feature as well. I take a ramp every day that is very safe for my set speed and the TACC always adjusts the speed down. I have to intervene and depress the accellorator. I am not using auto steer in either of the previous situations.

I have an 8 mile stretch of two lane road with no intersections on my way to work. 4 years ago it was a 45mph road but they re-routed the road to make it straighter and raised the speed limit to 55mph. My AP2.0 car has never read the new road as 55mph and I've had it for 2.5 years. I do the drive everyday. I e-mail Tesla once a year reporting the inaccuracy (I know it'll never change, but at least I can say I reported it) It really sucks because it's the perfect road for AP but I can only do 50 with it activated. I'll get run off that road if I did 5 under.

So I can attest that AP2.0s aren't reading speed limit signs. On most roads my speed limit indicator also changes within 2 seconds of a sign change so it's still GPS based.

I have an issue where the vehicle while driving 5 north between OC and LA in a construction zone, the car will suddenly drop the TACC speed from my set speed (say 70) to 35MPH -- happened Saturday night. VERY dangerous in flowing traffic.

You're exactly right. You're closer to the feeder street or an off ramp so the speed limit changes. Happens to me on E-470 in Denver all the time. Extremely annoying. I don't drive that road often so I forget that it happens. It's defintely an unwelcome suprise.

I have AP1...and I don’t think it’s reading speed limit signs.

I noticed that it’s wrong a lot time.

Where do you guys see that AP1 read speed sign?

AP1 definitely does read speed limit signs; I have specifically noticed it will read construction zone signs when they are put up in spots where they normally aren't.

However .... what is weird is I find it doesn't consistently read the signs; for that I have no answer .........

AP1 has a database of speed limits (same as AP2). In addition, the mobileye system reads speed limit signs (although not perfectly). If it sees a speed limit sign and recognizes it and the speed is different than the database, then the recognized speed limit is displayed on the screen. If it doesn't see or recognize the sign, it shows what's in the database just like AP2....