Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats the silliest EV prejudice youve heard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love when people talk smack about my Tesla using dirty electricity to charge at home without knowing my household uses 100% solar made electricity.
These are usually phrased as a smartass rhetorical question, like "Well where do you think the electricity comes from to charge your car, huh?!"

I respond, "I'm glad you asked. It's from the solar panels that are on my house."

some good stuff in this thread.

I was at our credit union last week(my son buying a motorcycle) One of the financial adjusters there was asking me about it.. A much older gentleman, He had NO idea you could even fast charge. His presumption was you drive then plug in overnight. EVERY DAY. Like go 200 miles and sit for a whole day lol He understood using them to commute, but not touring.

I was actually able to unchain that guy's mind. He understood amps and kilowatts and does math for a living, after all. That helped. I watched the so called light bulb go off in his eyes when he asked about charging voltage. I said: "Ill put it this way, superchargers are usually anywhere from 60-250kw/h. Averages around 120, Our battery is 78kw" Honestly. it looked like I broke him. :) He answered "so you only charge 15-30 minutes? YEP.

These are usually phrased as a smartass rhetorical question, like "Well where do you think the electricity comes from to charge your car, huh?!"

I respond, "I'm glad you asked. It's from the solar panels that are on my house."
Of course, even those without solar may be getting electricity generated from sources less problematic than petroleum.

Coal is probably the source that competes with or is worse than petroleum from a pollution and CO2 standpoint. However, in the US, it and all other sources are less connected to international issues than petroleum, meaning that anything other than petroleum brings less baggage in terms of trade balance, foreign policy problems, petro-states using oil money to start wars, etc..

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) lists the following in the US as sources of electricity generation in 2021:
* 60.8% Fossil fuel
* 38.3% Natural gas
* 21.8% Coal
* 0.5% Petroleum
* 18.9% Nuclear
* 20.1% Renewables
* 9.2% Wind
* 6.3% Hydropower
* 2.8% Solar
* 1.3% Biomass
* 0.4% Geothermal

However, the source of grid electricity varies considerably by state within the US. Go to United States - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) , click on a state, then click on the Electricity tab in the table to see what is used to generate electricity in the state.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Were backwards on some stuff here in Iowa, but I am happy about the level of our renewables. Theres solar popping up EVERYWHERE! (hopefully in my near future, on my own roof)
The big renewable energy source in Iowa and many other plains states is wind. Utilities would rather collect the free wind than shovel coal, even though wind turbines do cost money.

Reactions: Peelz

Awesome thing about EVs is that one’s built today will get cleaner over time as grid gets cleaner unlike ICE cars which just get dirtier as they wear and start burning oil (like my neighbors).

Awesome thing about EVs is that one’s built today will get cleaner over time as grid gets cleaner unlike ICE cars which just get dirtier as they wear and start burning oil (like my neighbors).

THIS!

its the answer I give when people poo poo ev's because "they burn fuel too" Like I don't know that...(even though environmental impact is much less than when using petrol)

Think ahead. What is now, isn't always going to be, you know.. imagine gas stations converting to electric, pulling solar or wind power directly. Who knows?

THIS!

its the answer I give when people poo poo ev's because "they burn fuel too" Like I don't know that...(even though environmental impact is much less than when using petrol)

Think ahead. What is now, isn't always going to be, you know.. imagine gas stations converting to electric, pulling solar or wind power directly. Who knows?
As EV manufacturing grows and the demand grows, gas stations will be converting into electric charging stations.....Everybody has to know that big oil/gas has an umbrella of small companies in wind and solar power around the world. If we, the consumer can see the change that's going on from ICE to EV, big oil saw it 10yrs ago......
All "automobile" ads during the Super Bowl were all about EV's......

THIS!

The sheer stubbornness of the "EVs have carbon footprint too" arguments always frustrate me. Like people don't understand the concept of progress being a step ladder, and think the only acceptable ways forward are all or nothing. Trying to argue that EVs are bad because they have still have a carbon output is no different than someone trying to argue that there's no reason to make an ICE engine more efficient because it still uses fuel. People seem to recognize the latter is a stupid argument, but can't seem to draw the line of logic that its the same argument as decrying EVs for not being an immediate carbon neutral/negative solution.

-the one I just heard yesterday was a kid complaining the snow doesn't melt from his hood because no engine-just anti tesla clickbait...
Circling back to this from the OP, and maybe some of you just live in lighter winter climates, but this is an actual thing, not a prejudice. Its not an issue as in its not like if you're driving around in snowfall your car will accumulate snow on the hood like you're a snowball going down a hill, but if you're someone who parks outside in the winter and is used to preconditioning melting off the snow, you'll definitely see a difference between and ICE engine and an EV.

Last edited:
Seems like someone who prefers ICEVs for whatever reason should want other people to choose EVs, because EVs use less petroleum (very little electricity is generated from petroleum, at least in the US), leaving more at lower prices for those who drive ICEVs.

This is a similar to the argument that car drivers should want motorcyclists to split lanes in traffic jams, so that the motorcyclists use road space that cars cannot use, rather than using road space that is shared by cars and causing the traffic jams to be worse.

Reactions: Peelz and DblOSmith
Just had a coworker ask me my favorite question about charging using the wheels or an "alternator" HA. this young gentleman is deep into the tribal politics of the sun rising and setting inside the president's behind....You know... This one's the devil, the last one was the second coming. LOL He wants to sell his truck that gets 11mpg....

anyways, I explained the science to him. "oh" So next time my wife lets me have her precious ride, I'm taking him for a drive so he can see how difficult generating power is by demonstrating how regen braking works, and how much drag it is..

Last edited:
Of course, even those without solar may be getting electricity generated from sources less problematic than petroleum.

Coal is probably the source that competes with or is worse than petroleum from a pollution and CO2 standpoint. However, in the US, it and all other sources are less connected to international issues than petroleum, meaning that anything other than petroleum brings less baggage in terms of trade balance, foreign policy problems, petro-states using oil money to start wars, etc..

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) lists the following in the US as sources of electricity generation in 2021:
* 60.8% Fossil fuel
* 38.3% Natural gas
* 21.8% Coal
* 0.5% Petroleum
* 18.9% Nuclear
* 20.1% Renewables
* 9.2% Wind
* 6.3% Hydropower
* 2.8% Solar
* 1.3% Biomass
* 0.4% Geothermal

However, the source of grid electricity varies considerably by state within the US. Go to United States - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) , click on a state, then click on the Electricity tab in the table to see what is used to generate electricity in the state.
Another interesting link

I haven’t looked at the app yet.

• Informative
Reactions: UncleCreepy
Silliest: The REAL cost of owning an EV is high because you must spend $50,000 to install an L3 charger in your house. Seriously.