Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's you low budget S config?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to hear what other say on Pano, as I would imagine for resale, most want that.

I have not had any problems with my pano (some earlier adopters had issues with noises) and I really like having it. The sun does not shine through the tint so I don't think it adds to the car getting hot in the summer. Now the one thing I could live without is the air suspension. You may need it with a steep driveway, but I don't have that. I have only used it twice because I pulled in too far at a high curb. I have gotten much better at judging parking distance. I had a loaner car the other day and it did not have the tech package - I am definitely glad I have the tech package.

I think you can probably skip the active air. I don't have it on my MS and it's been fine on steeper driveways. I have to go dog slow when entering or existing driveways, but it's been fine. I don't really have a way to measure, but it seems to be able to handle driveways like any other sedan.

clmason - PLEASE do not forgo the pano roof without personally sitting in the rear seat of a Model S with and without it. Do not listen to anyone's opinion on this but your own, including mine. What is acceptable for some people may not be for you. You really should test this for yourself.

There is a tremendous difference in rear seat headroom with and without pano roof. I have measured with a tape measure and sat in cars with and without numerous times, most recently in two new cars about a month ago, confirming the notable rear seat headroom increase with the pano.

The rear seat headroom is embarrassingly tight to comfortably seat many adults in the hard top including me at 5'10". Do you want to pay all this money for a two seater? The pano roof transforms Model S into a true 5 seater. Note that Tesla has recently improved the pano roof to eliminate the squeaks and rattles that plagued the initial cars.

Here are my two cents on the low budget config 60 kWh Model S:

Pano
Tech
Parking Sensors
Supercharging - IF your driving range demands it
Standard all else, white or black exterior, textile seats.

The next options I'd consider, if any at all, would be simply aesthetic: metallic paint and/or decor. You've got everything else covered.

Last edited:
feeling compelled to speak up:

Pano roof is a preference. There is nothing mandatory about it, unless you are going to carry bikes or other cargo on a rack on top your car and need the hard points. Then, pano is compulsory. Also, if your wife demands a sunroof, pano is compulsory :)

Active air - I actually have never driven a car without one, so the only comment I have here is: eventually I would surmise that Tesla will push a software update that links to your GPS/garage opener to have you pause to have the ride height elevated if and when you pre-designate that function for that GPS location. I don't know how they will operationalize this, but I don't see why it cannot be done.

Aftermarket - I agree with many here who say that wheels, and other pieces-parts may be cheaper later, and will decrease your outlay of cash.

Biggest money is gonna be the 60 choice. That's your bang.

I go an entirely different path for my budget Model S:

85kWh
no packages at all

I don't need no GPS navigation - have it on my mobile
I don't need no air suspension - managed to drive without one for 30 years
I don't need no parking sensors - it do has a back-up camera you know
I don't need no super stereo, leather seats, fancy wheels and stuff either.

But I DO NEED a car that I can drive fast, far, and recharge it for free!

I debated the air suspension for quite a while since I was on a budget, but also had a steep driveway. I ended up ordering the standard suspension and have been very happy with my choice. It did make for some very nerve-wracking moments though when the car was first delivered and we had to take it up the driveway that first time. We did not test with another car before ordering -- no one else near us had standard suspension to test with and we were hundreds of miles from the nearest Tesla showroom.

I found out that the standard suspension cars are actually slightly higher at the normal height than the air suspension cars. In my case, that would likely have meant that I would have had to raise the car every time I came in and out of my driveway if I had the air. Now, I can just take it slow and I have just enough clearance to not scrape anything (though it looks very tight under the car!) There were tense moments when we first took the car up the driveway and the Tesla folks were telling us we'd likely need to offload passengers to avoid scraping. We've since found out through experience that, even with a car full of passengers, we are fine -- just need to take it slow. The Tesla replaced an 2002 Acura TL-S which would scrape in the front if we came out of the driveway too fast.

I'm glad I went the standard route -- raising and lowering the car multiple times per day would have gotten very old very fast. I've also been very happy with the standard suspension ride. I wouldn't recommend the stress of ordering without testing your driveway first with a standard suspension though... definitely have someone help you check before you order! My fallback plan was to put small boards down where needed to try change the angles just enough to avoid scraping, but we ended up not needing to go that route.

On the other options...
I like the tech package -- have no idea what it would be like without. We use the power liftgate constantly.
We did upgrade paint. I thought it was worth it and husband thinks not (personal preference thing).
We went without the pano -- too many reported issues when we were ordering and kids and visitors will survive with less headroom.
We went for the 85 for the additional range (probably only will need eventually on longer road trips). In retrospect, the 60 would have been fine for our needs.
Parking sensors would have been nice -- this is a big car and I'm still working to feel comfortable with the dimensions and parking.
Standard stereo has been absolutely fine. You just need to follow the reco's for pushing the bass and mid up a bit and fading a bit to the back. Unless you need your seat to shake (or you need XM), stick with standard if you are on a budget.
We were planning to tint, but the car arrived well-tinted in our opinion. We now just keep a dark towel in the car to throw over things we want to hide.

This is a phenomenal car and even at the most basic trim level, it will be amazing. The quiet speed of the 85 (non-performance) blows me away and I believe the 60 is not much different.

Here is my 2 cents

Paint - It's personsal up to you, I would suggest a Metalic color at least (unless you want Black) Never white, get dirty way to easy. [Note, my view only, don't flame me if you like/love the white]
Pano - For the headroom in the rear, also it's cool
19" Defualt Wheels - If you want others, get aftermarket after
Interior - Standard Leather - Looks better IMHO, easier to clean. If you want every $ off, then get the textile
Performance Plus - Skip
Carbon Fiber Spoiler - Skip (Get aftermarket, if you want it, sense now you have to get the 85 kWh Performance to get it now. What a JOKE!)
High Power Home charging - Skip
Supercharging - A Must have like the TECH. Every 60 should get this. Again I can't image anyone not getting this, like the TECH.
Tech - Must have, I can't believe there are some people that don't get it. Then again I'm a power user geek and there is no way I would get a Tesla without it
Air - From what I've been reading on the forums, I guess skip it, save the money
Parking Sensors - A $500 add-on, if you want it, get it.
Fog Lights - Same as above, or get aftermarket
Sound - Skip it
Leather Trim - $2500, save your money
Alcantara Headliner - $1500 save your money again
Rear Facing Seats - only if you'll use it often, otherwise save your money
Premium Interior Lighting - Looks cool, do aftermarket for much cheaper,
Subzero Weather Package - Get it, It'll help warm the bat. up quicker, helps warm the car quicker, and also allows you to have the heat lower overall, so doesn't use as much energy for full blast. Also if someone is cold in the back, you don't have to be burning up in the front with the heat on max to help warm them. I think it's worth this price IMHO. If you disagree you save another $750.
Parcel Shelf - $250 If you want it, get it. An extra $250 at this total price is like added change.
Tire Upgrade - Skip (Comes with if you get the 85 kWh)
Paint Armor - Skip - After reading a ton on this in the forums, get the XPEL Ultimate, better product and better coverage with full wraps

Total: $75,320 With the above options.
My Total Bottom 60 kWh $ 69,070
60 kWh, Black, Solid Roof, 19" default wheels, Textile Int., Supercharger, TECH

I would add the Pano for myself, making it $71,570 if I were getting a rock-bottom 60 kWh.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW, I don't a Tesla myself. I love the car and the company. Someday I hope to have one. If I could afford the extra for a 85, then I'd get a STD 85 kWh model. I would love the performance of the 85+, but most likely get the base 85. I would also get the Twin chargers. For when there are more high power J1772 chargers, using it a svc. centers, other members HPWC's, and at home for when we would have 2 Tesla's, future proofing.

Also congrats to you on whatever you pick. I'm sure you'll be another HAPPY Model S owner.

I wish I could have all the things...

60, black, tech package, gray leather, jump seats, parking sensors (I have a very bad home parking situation and have scratched the heck out of my current car).

May get Supercharger later, though right now we seldom take long trips and there are no superchargers within 200 miles of my home yet.

Wish I could also have: blue paint, upgraded wheels, 85, performance edition, pano roof. But this is already such a stretch for me. If anyone had told me 2 years ago that I'd be buying an $80,000 car I'd have told them they were crazy.

I got it for the improved efficiency due to better highway aerodynamics, not for driveways.

98% of the time, efficiency is unimportant. You pay $0.042 in electricity per mile rather than $0.04. big whoop.
On the 2% of the days when you're taking a road trip, you need to wait at the supercharger for 42 minutes instead of 40 minutes.

yeah, I know a lot of people on this forum are into efficiency because they hated burning gasoline, but I don't really get why it's a big deal in this car.

98% of the time, efficiency is unimportant. You pay $0.042 in electricity per mile rather than $0.04. big whoop.
On the 2% of the days when you're taking a road trip, you need to wait at the supercharger for 42 minutes instead of 40 minutes.

yeah, I know a lot of people on this forum are into efficiency because they hated burning gasoline, but I don't really get why it's a big deal in this car.

If you're going somewhere where there is no supercharger service - which is almost everywhere outside of California - it matters.

If you're going somewhere where there is no supercharger service - which is almost everywhere outside of California - it matters.
If you're doing that, I'd consider using an ICE, regardless of whether you're getting 200 miles per charge or 190 miles per charge. The difference between charging for 4 hours and charging for 4.2 hours isn't all that significant to me: either way it's bad. :)

If you're doing that, I'd consider using an ICE, regardless of whether you're getting 200 miles per charge or 190 miles per charge. The difference between charging for 4 hours and charging for 4.2 hours isn't all that significant to me: either way it's bad. :)

The benefit is making it to the charger, not reducing your time at the charger. I'm not saying it's the most important thing in the world, but at least make sure to focus on the key reason.

Here was my budget config. Air suspension is cool but not required if you know how to angle your car for driveways etc. Kinda of wish I got the pano roof instead.

Model S $69,900.00
White Solid Paint -
Black Roof -
19" Wheels -
Black Nappa Leather Interior $1,500.00
Piano Black Décor -
60 kWh Battery -
Tech Package $3,750.00
Active Air Suspension $1,500.00
Supercharging Hardware and Access $2,000.00
Subtotal $78,650.00

This is before all the fed and state incentives.

I am currently driving a 60 kWh white loaner with the only option being Tech. It is just great. The only other option I'd add to a low budget config is the pano roof for rear seat headroom and open feel. I really don't think parking sensors are mandatory and having now experienced the textile interior with piano black decor it is very sharp. Modifying my low budget config post above:

60 kWh white or black
Pano
Tech
-------------
$69,570

Would only buy supercharging now if needed now. Can be enabled later for slightly more cost.

Not wanting to spend 100k I'm playing with the design studio to build a Low budget S. I have not pulled th trigger, just playing for now.

My budget friendly config is:
60kwh
You're in California which is covered with Superchargers and has mild weather. This will probably work for you as long as you stay in California. A lot of us got 85s because in "no supercharger" areas, particularly ones with cold weather, we need the range to make any reasonable road trip.

Grey exterior
Matter of taste. :) I saved money by getting white!
Tech package
Almost everyone seems to agree that this is worth it, if only for the seat memory. If only one person will drive the car, you don't mind lifting the liftgate manually, and you don't care about the nav system, you might be able to skip this. I do believe the tech package will be important for resale value, though.
Pano Roof - splurged on this, love the view
Parking sensors
Matters of taste. :)

Super Charger enabled
Yes.

19 cyclone wheels, splurged on this, love the look
Matter of taste.

What options might I regret not getting?
Active air if you drive on grass lots, dirt roads, etc.
Twin chargers if you ever road-trip to Canada.
Fog lights if you get a lot of fog.
Cold weather package if you vacation in the snowbelt.
Leather interior if you prefer leather seats.

Most of the options are just that -- they're options. They are suitably optional. Some people will benefit from them and others won't.

For me the exceptions are twin chargers and Supercharger enabling, both of which nearly everyone should get. Tesla's recent bundling of the twin chargers (which you want) with the HPWC (which you almost certainly don't need) is not cool; but given the heavy Supercharger deployment in California, you can probably get by without the twin chargers.

- - - Updated - - -

I got it for the improved efficiency due to better highway aerodynamics, not for driveways.

Depends on your highways, doesn't it? Doesn't do much good until over 55 mph, and our speed limits are low here. In Texas or Wisconsin at 85 mph, it probably helps a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Paint - It's personsal up to you, I would suggest a Metalic color at least (unless you want Black) Never white, get dirty way to easy. [Note, my view only, don't flame me if you like/love the white]
You are correct about the dirt. The white is, in fact, dirty *all* the time, inc. Including one mile after driving away from the car wash. I love it anyway. :wink: It stays cool in the summer.