Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 100% charge range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a June 2020 MY with about 29K KM / 18K Miles. My full charge at 100% is showing 448KM / 278 Miles. I know the topic has been beaten to death and back but still curious to see what others are seeing for a full charge after similar mileage.

View attachment 717164
March 2020 built Performance Y
15K miles, rated 279 miles at 100% SoC.

Note that this P is configured with 20"
Induction wheels, would have shown 10 miles less (269 miles) if config was with 21" Űberturbines.

Additional data point, my Dec 2018 built LR AWD Model 3 with 104K miles was rated 271 miles at 100% SoC.

Chill mode reduces power at the motors by ~50%, won't reduce your energy usage at constant speed but will limit power used while accelerating. Chill mode will help extend the life of your rear tires if that is important to you.

You can tint the glass roof but not everyone agrees this is a makes much difference, may void the warranty on the glass roof. I use an inside mesh fabric sun shade that helps diffuse the rays of the sun so the sun does not feel so intense on my head. The sun shade came with a second reflective layer but I have not felt the need to install the reflective cover. You can find these sun shades on Amazon for ~$50 (sometimes less with a coupon.) Well worth it as you remove the sunshade in minutes if you want to. This type of sun shade is known to sag a bit but does not interfere with the view out the rear view mirror or where second row passenger's head would touch the fabric of the sun shade. All in all the glass roof sun shade is my second favorite interior accessory after the floor liners I purchased.

The AC is programmed for efficiency, won't turn on the front passenger vent or rear seat vents unless someone is seated in those seats. You can activate the passenger side front air vent by tapping on the graphic display of the dashboard vent area on the passenger side. There is a screen button on the lower right that will turn on the second row seat air vents. Unfortunately you have to do this every time you start the Model Y. You can turn off the front seat passenger vent by turning off the Model Y's AC system and then turning it back on.

You can use the Recirculate Cabin Air setting so the AC does not have to work as hard to cool the passenger cabin during the warmest part of the day. You can use the voice commands "Recirculate" and "Fresh Air" to control this setting or using a button on the Climate control screen. I usually turn off Recirculate Cabin Air when I arrive as this may help dry out the AC evaporator coil.
Regarding tinting the roof, really unnecessary:

Has anyone full charge % range decreased slightly?
Mine is showing 100% (303 miles) to 100% (299 miles) after owning MYP for 3 weeks as of today. Is this normal? I do not keep it plugged-in when not in use. I drive it till the battery reaches 20% then, I charge it to 80% or 90% max. Then, repeat the process again. I did read In the manual that the vehicle should be plugged-in everyday while not in use to get the best battery performance on the MYP. Does anyone else do this?

Mine is showing 100% (303 miles) to 100% (299 miles) after owning MYP for 3 weeks as of today. Is this normal? I do not keep it plugged-in when not in use. I drive it till the battery reaches 20% then, I charge it to 80% or 90% max. Then, repeat the process again. I did read In the manual that the vehicle should be plugged-in everyday while not in use to get the best battery performance on the MYP. Does anyone else do this?
Mine is down to 296 already, and I replaced the Ubers with Geminis.

Reactions: TheQuiet_1

Let's just say it is not "unnormal." I have about 13,500 miles on the MY LR I've had for almost a year.

I use Tesla Fi to monitor my car. (There are other apps out there, but Tesla Fi does it for me.) Besides showing what your 100% charge should look like, it also compares your car to others with similar mileage. Back on October 4, I posted a screen grab to this thread and it shows I have more loss than other MYs. Today, I am at 292, but still well below the rest of the pack which is 303. Of the 45 cars being monitored, there are three with worse records.

There was once a funny, yet scary, movie titled "Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb." I stopped obsessing with watching the energy app in the car and just plain learned what a great car the Model Y is. You are well below the warranty failure point and you have more than enough to get wherever you want to go.

I am currently planning a 2,000 mile trip from deep south Texas (where I live) to San Francisco to see our daughter. Using the "A Better Route Planner" app, I will never come close to running out of electrons - and that is without ever charging up to 100%.

As to keeping it plugged in - why wouldn't you keep it plugged in each night when you're not driving? Each morning, when you get up, you have a "full tank." I charge mine to 85% each night and don't have to worry about having to take an unplanned longer drive at the 25% you have in the battery. Let go of the habits acquired driving an ICE car, such as going to the gas station at 1/4 tank, and keep it charged up.

Now, stop reading this and go drive the hell out of your MY. Go find some kid in a Mustang and drag race him. Turn up the sound system and listen to your favorite music. Have fun with your new toy.

Let's just say it is not "unnormal." I have about 13,500 miles on the MY LR I've had for almost a year.

I use Tesla Fi to monitor my car. (There are other apps out there, but Tesla Fi does it for me.) Besides showing what your 100% charge should look like, it also compares your car to others with similar mileage. Back on October 4, I posted a screen grab to this thread and it shows I have more loss than other MYs. Today, I am at 292, but still well below the rest of the pack which is 303. Of the 45 cars being monitored, there are three with worse records.

There was once a funny, yet scary, movie titled "Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb." I stopped obsessing with watching the energy app in the car and just plain learned what a great car the Model Y is. You are well below the warranty failure point and you have more than enough to get wherever you want to go.

I am currently planning a 2,000 mile trip from deep south Texas (where I live) to San Francisco to see our daughter. Using the "A Better Route Planner" app, I will never come close to running out of electrons - and that is without ever charging up to 100%.

As to keeping it plugged in - why wouldn't you keep it plugged in each night when you're not driving? Each morning, when you get up, you have a "full tank." I charge mine to 85% each night and don't have to worry about having to take an unplanned longer drive at the 25% you have in the battery. Let go of the habits acquired driving an ICE car, such as going to the gas station at 1/4 tank, and keep it charged up.

Now, stop reading this and go drive the hell out of your MY. Go find some kid in a Mustang and drag race him. Turn up the sound system and listen to your favorite music. Have fun with your new toy.
As to keeping it plugged in - why wouldn't you keep it plugged in each night when you're not driving?
In short, electrical storms. When my Model Y is not plugged in there is no risk, however slight, of damage to the Tesla vehicle's electrical systems due to a close by ground lightning strike or a power surge. I always make a point to unplug my Tesla Model Y if there are electrical storms, lightning within 5 miles of my location. If you research this you can find cases where lightning damaged, even totaled, multiple EVs and plug-in hybrid vehicles that were plugged in during a storm. There is no way that a surge protector, even a whole house surge protector, can 100% protect any plugged in electrical equipment from a lightning strike of several million volts. The same would apply to Supercharging. I would wait out the storm before plugging in to use a Supercharger. The inside of the vehicle provides good protection from lighting due to the Faraday shielding effect of the aluminum and steel surrounding the passenger compartment.

In short, electrical storms. When my Model Y is not plugged in there is no risk, however slight, of damage to the Tesla vehicle's electrical systems due to a close by ground lightning strike or a power surge. I always make a point to unplug my Tesla Model Y if there are electrical storms, lightning within 5 miles of my location. If you research this you can find cases where lightning damaged, even totaled, multiple EVs and plug-in hybrid vehicles that were plugged in during a storm. There is no way that a surge protector, even a whole house surge protector, can 100% protect any plugged in electrical equipment from a lightning strike of several million volts. The same would apply to Supercharging. I would wait out the storm before plugging in to use a Supercharger. The inside of the vehicle provides good protection from lighting due to the Faraday shielding effect of the aluminum and steel surrounding the passenger compartment.
I installed a whole house surge protector in my main panel, and another one in my Tesla sub-panel (two gen 2 HPWC's in load sharing mode).

Reactions: jcanoe
I installed a whole house surge protector in my main panel, and another one in my Tesla sub-panel (two gen 2 HPWC's in load sharing mode).
For maximum protection the surge protector would need to protect the hot, neutral and also the ground connection. Even then an electrical potential of a couple of million volts is going to go where it can to find an earth ground.

2021 MYP with about 1000 miles... Changed to 19" wheels around 100-200 miles after delivery. I do not drive conservatively at all.

Screenshot_20211012-114850~2.png

Model y long range 1600 miles 320 @100 percent charge. But before the latest update it said 326. The next morning said 320? Still plenty of range for me. but I Miss the low end punch of the myp. But I do have acceleration boost so that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheQuiet_1

Cigar Man-

Thank you for the great input and advice. I heard of Tesla Fi, but hesitate on downloading it. After your input on it, I will look into it much further and test it out. That is pretty good almost a year of owning it and putting the mileage on it.

You are totally right. Old habits die hard. I have to let go of the Stone Age of ICE vehicles and look ahead towards the EV life (Let Go and Drive). We only have one Tesla charger at this moment- we were planning on getting a secondary charger for either Tesla vehicles, but decided to post-pone. Our thought was why get two chargers now, if we are not going to charge them simultaneously?!. Now, after reading the manual thoroughly and getting some great advice from several people, I will be getting a secondary charger for both Teslas. We will get NEMA 14-50 outlet charger. I informed my partner that we need to start charging our Tesla's overnight when they are not in use and also, it will give the vehicles live updates, better battery performance and etc. I started charging his M3 this Wednesday evening. My MYP is out of commission due to some mods being done: tinted windows and PPF clear bra; front-end and all four side doors. I cannot wait to pick it up tomorrow and drive it around town. I miss it soooo much!!!!

That is awesome. I hope you guys have an AMAZING road trip and time driving through the South-Western region of the country. I bet your daughter will be thrilled to see you guys. I downloaded "A Better Route Planner" app myself for road trips in our very near future. Cant't Wait!

It's funny that you said that. I had numerous cars and SUVs (Mercedes C43, Honda Accord, Nissan Rogue (stupidity, right there), and others I forgot. Hahaha) try to race me, but can NEVER win. I leave them in the dust. THEY.WILL.NEVER.LEARN!!

TESLA for the WIN!

Thank you- I will definitely be enjoying my new toy this weekend. I have music selected and ready to play while driving my bad boy!

Reactions: Cigar Man